150 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Underhood Work Light LED Replacement

kramttocs
Administrator
SBL order arrived today. Happy with the results. Clearance is good and light output is an improvement. It's not a huge improvement but the reduction in heat alone is worth it to me.

This is the cool white vs the GE90.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Scott, that's kind of surprising given the advertised 30% increased lumens.

I may have to get a picture of my 1156 hood light.
Of course, I can't use it to change a tire or anything like that, but it does seem to light up my engine bay.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Scott.  I think I'll get one for when the time comes I can actually install my light.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I don't have the under hood light but have been kicking around the idea of putting some LED's in the engine bay with a rocker switch.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Look at KC Lights, they got some LED pod lights that can be used under hood.  Im looking at those as a possible recessed under hood light if I run the abs plastic hood liner with the ford oval.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yeah, I didn't expect a huge improvement in the brightness but still happy it is a little brighter. Knowing that I can leave the hood open for long periods of time and not worry about melting or yellowing the dome/cover is well worth it.

Rusty - I don't see why the factory light still wouldn't work. Would just need to drill some holes. I've thought about the Ford oval one also.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
I think its because you would lose your ground as the ground screws to the hood and you cant ground it through the abs plastic.  Since I am rewiring my light itself if I dont destory it in the process I am thinking of making a connector at the light then I can run my own ground from else where for the light.

If I cant make it work I am looking at recessing the KC led under hood/truck lights and wire it into a mercury switch if I can find a stand alone, otherwise ill use an alarm plunger on the core support to activate the lights.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
It does but that would just require drilling a hole larger than the eyelet through the abs.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Why couldn't you just put the eyelet under the screw head?

I mean the led draw is incredibly small.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You could and it would work just fine. I was going to say that but I figured someone would comment about wanting the eyelet to have direct contact instead of just through the screw(gambled and lost  ) You could also just wrap the ground cable around the edge of the abs but would be more of a pain to install.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm pedantic but not ridiculously OCD and paranoid.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator

Just keeps us on our toes
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
My mindset on recessing lights in the hood is the angle of the light will be more towards you and less into the engine bay unless you angle it, then will the pods like being that close to the top of the engine. I was leaning towards installing them around the perimeter of the engine bay.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You could get a 'neon' kit and install it under the fender flanges on each side, but that wouldn't do music to help you see the carb, coil, thermostat or things that will cause you to sit on the side of the road.

I went out this morning to get a picture of my simple 1156 led set up in the rib of the hood.
I discovered that the socket was badly corroded.
Better to know now, and fix it, than to need it and not have it.

Of course I have a headlamp and I hope to pick up another of those Bauer magnetic 18650 rechargeable worklights to keep in the truck.
Man! can't say enough positive things about that item.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You could get a 'neon' kit and install it under the fender flanges on each side, but that wouldn't do music to help you see the carb, coil, thermostat or things that will cause you to sit on the side of the road.

I went out this morning to get a picture of my simple 1156 led set up in the rib of the hood.
I discovered that the socket was badly corroded.
Better to know now, and fix it, than to need it and not have it.

Of course I have a headlamp and I hope to pick up another of those Bauer magnetic 18650 rechargeable worklights to keep in the truck.
Man! can't say enough positive things about that item.
I have one of those HF flashlights in the van with the side COB led and magnetic base. I carry around a Leatherman surge with the specialty bit set, but I also have the extension that allows normal bits on one side of the pouch and on the other side I have a small rechargeable 150lumen flashlight.

Location got me thinking, what if you mounted them on the front of the hood where it angles down to meet the grill. I think when the hood is open at that point then it should shine straight down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Looks like someone did just that with a 12v led strip in a rigid aluminum track.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Which one do you like Jim? 18650 didn’t come up on the HF website.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Wouldn't your head be in the way when working on something?  Or would the other LED's in the strip fill in?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G

These on Amazon are adhesive backed, but if you go that route I would use something more robust to glue it down. Waterproof and 12v. And  you could put multiple down the hood to fight shadowing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
That looks a great solution!

Maybe I have to rethink replacing the socket.
LED's have come a LONG way since the late '80's when I bought my truck.
 Jim,
12345 ... 8