classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
378 messages Options
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

ClayJ
Hey Jim thanks for the reply. I'm thinking option B is the one as I did install a new flasher on the fuse block. I ended up cleaning the grounds for both taillights and then inspecting the harness. The only thing I could figure is that the trailer wiring possibly had a short so I started tracing it up along the frame. Since Gary had tucked it away in nice protective sheathing I couldn't see any damage. I followed the wires up through the firewall and to the back of the brake controller. Just for a hoot I disconnected what looked like the power wire for the brake controller and boom lights are working properly. I'm guessing there's a short in the trailer wiring somewhere? Any other points I should check?

Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Unfortunately, I'm not too familiar with brake controllers Clay...

But I'm sure you can find some good advice from Bill Vose.
He's a wiz with both wiring and brake controllers
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Clay - There is something about that brake controller that doesn't play nicely with LED brake lights.  I bought the same controller and installed it on Big Blue and had a weird problem when I tried to go with LED's.

I think it monitors the resistance of the brake lights and LEDs mess that up.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
So just a quick update on Rusty post heart transplant. So far so good! I've driven Rusty around local for over 300 miles with no issues. I'll be the first to admit I've had some anxiety driving around after being left on the side of the highway 3 times due to broken flexplates. However with the new 400 there's been no issues during the break in period. Planning to take him West this weekend for Texas' opening day of deer season. The trip will certainly push me over the 500 mile mark and I'll change oil and filter on my return. Good luck to you fellow hunters and bullnose enthusiasts this weekend!
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  I hope the hunting trip goes well.  That's what you've been planning on using Rusty for all along, so I sure hope it pans out.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Well the trip was a success. Rusty made the 278 mile round trip no sweat. Even with maintaining speeds of 65 to 70mph. That puts Rusty over 500 miles since the engine replacement, so I'll change oil and filter this weekend. Over the 278 Rusty averaged 11mpg. Not only did Rusty get me to and from our ranch in West Texas but he was an invaluable tool while hunting. Dad shot a huge sow hog that ended up rolling into one of our stock tanks and I used Rusty, a chain and my deer hoist to pull her out. Rusty also transported the 9 point buck I took Veterans Day morning. Overall, very thankful and grateful for a successful trip.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Glad Rusty did well, and glad the hunting trip was a success as well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ClayJ
Good looking deer!  
Now I'm hungry again....

Glad Rusty is earning his keep! and extra glad we don't have feral hogs tearing things up around here
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This popped up on my Facebook page from 6 years ago today:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
They are growing quick Gary!

Nice to see the pic of Rustys interior as well.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I remember when he posted the pictures from that visit on FTE, specifically the one with the kids playing in the bed. I can't believe that was six years ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, they are growing!  They must have been three there as it was six years ago and they are now nine.  We got an envelope from them today with their Christmas list, and they are seriously into books, diaries, and Minecraft.  Wow!

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Hey guys, so Rusty made another trip out West to the ranch and made it back home. I did notice however, that while I was driving around the ranch the power steering started making some groaning noises. Upon inspection I found low fluid level in the reservoir. I didn't see any leaks at the time so I topped the fluid off and made the return trip home. After parking at home is when I saw the leak and chased it down to the power steering pump itself. So I ordered a new C2 pump as well as pressure and return lines and started the tear down today. Here's where things go South...

I also ordered a cheapo pulley puller kit from Amazon and this thing is garbage. No matter what I try I cannot get the pulley off and unfortunately I've messed up the pulley pretty bad. After a quick search I cannot for the life of me find the pulley, besides one that's made of gold on Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Anyone have a link to a replacement? TIA.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Clay - I may have an extra pulley and will gladly donate it to Rusty.  I'll look tomorrow.

On the puller, I've rented them from the parts stores, and then when I returned them I get my money back.  But I've done enough of it that I bought my own some time ago.  It is this OTC Tools 4530 Power Steering Pump Pulley Service Set, and it works well.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I really appreciate that Gary. If you have one that would surely help me out. I'll check out the puller kit you recommended. If that doesn't work I may invest in a cutoff wheel and be done with it. HA!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Perfect excuse for a Saginaw upgrade, but you still have to source a bracket and 0.750" bore pulley.

$50ish from U-tech center, no core.
Gary has more details than me.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Jim I thought the same thing when I discovered the pump was the source of the leak. However, I kinda have my eye on the CVF Racing Serpentine system. I'll probably pull the upgrade trigger on that bad boy Spring 2021 as I'll be fixing the AC at that time and can do everything at once.

That brings up another topic...Rusty has recently been promoted to daily driver as I've decided to sell my 2017 F-150. So just need a quick replacement of the C2 to get Rusty back on the road.

https://www.cvfracing.com/ford-351c-351m-400-serpentine-system-ac-power-steering-alternator/
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I actually have an extra Saginaw pump from U-Tech you can have.  It got a little beat up in shipping but it is only cosmetic.

Or, I can just ship you the extra C2 pump with the pulley still on it.  Worked fine when I took it off of Dad's truck.  Pretty sure I still have it and I'm going with a Sag on that truck as well.

But the serpentine system looks great.  And you can replace that Techumseh compressor that is/was on Rusty.  However, you will then start running into the what-hose-to-use-here problem that others have had.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I remember looking at CVF a few years back when I wanted to dump my air pumps and find an alternator bracket for my 460.

It's really incredible how their lineup has expanded!
And, yeah. It makes sense for you to grab a C2 pump for the time being.

You might ask CVF about a front dress bracket kit to fit '82 E-350's.
That would be all set for a Saginaw pump.
 Jim,
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 19