Purdy!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ClayJ
I wondered what the status of Rusty was.  Glad you told us, but sorry things are running late.  If it is any comfort, that's been my experience on all machine shop jobs.

As for the '17, I like it!  I can't tell, but what engine?  And it should have the 10-speed tranny?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I've had a very difficult time being patient waiting on the engine for Rusty. I have a few other upgrades in the works as well but I'll wait until they're complete to post pics and let the upgrade cat out of the bag. The 2017 has the 2nd gen 3.5L Ecoboost and the 10R80 10 speed. Love the combo as this engine has power for days!
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Love the Blue Jeans!  And if the 2nd Gen EB is better than the first it'll be fantastic.  I've said many times that I'd much rather tow with Blue than Big Blue.  Blue will tow our 25' Sea Ray at 11.0 MPG all day long at 65 MPH.  Big Blue, with the old engine and tranny, got 11.0 MPG by himself at 65 MPH.

Perhaps the new 460 will win me over, as I'm sure Rusty's 400 will win you over, but those EB's are STRONG!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Well guys it looks like Rusty will not be repaired in time for this year's show. After waiting for the new long block for over 3 months from MABBCO Motors, I've decided to go a different route. It appears MABBCO cannot or will not produce the 400 long block that I ordered. Original estimate for the engine to be completed was 6 to 8 weeks from my order date of June 3rd. By the end of July I was told an additional 2 weeks was needed as they were extremely behind. So two weeks at a time i would call in for an update only to be told another 2 weeks is needed. Well enough was enough and I pressed for some real answers only to be met with the rudely stated ultimatum of if you don't want to keep waiting then we'll cancel your order and then be hung up on! Horrible way to treat a customer who has already paid thousands of dollars only to get the run around. Needless to say I immediately called back and spoke to another guy who apologized for the rude office rep. However by this point I was more than mad and told him to cancel my order and refund my money. So there has been no lack of drama in regards to this truck and his engine. I have since placed an order with S&J engines out of Spokane,WA for less money and a much better warranty. New timeframe is 14 days to build the core and 3-4 days to ship to Texas.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Clay - That's horrible!  I sure don't fault you for canceling that order.  I would have done the same.

And I hope that you get the new S&J engine soon.

But you can still enter Rusty.  The entrants don't have to run or be complete.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Gary i hope this engine actually comes through. The guys at the shop have been giving me a hard time saying Rusty has grown to the 2 post lift he's on. Ha! Regarding the Virtual show, is there a hard luck category? Lol
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, but there is Best Story.  And it wouldn't be hard to write up quite the story for Rusty.  It is all out there "in print", from when I bought him, what I had to do to him to get him going, way beyond what I was told, your FiL's purchase, your acquisition and subsequent breakdowns, etc.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Man, that's frustrating!

I realize things are kind of haywire in the world today, but you are right that is no way to treat anyone, let alone a customer.

Maybe should have gone to Tim?

Look forward to seeing Rusty at the show, and ultimately back on the road!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Maybe should have gone to Tim?
Tim Meyer? [for those who might not know]
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tim isn't building engines any more.  He's concentrating on the Cleveland blocks and accessories.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
Tim Meyer? [for those who might not know]
🙋‍♂️

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry to hear about the engine, but sounds like you might have it under control.

Gary Lewis wrote
But you can still enter Rusty.  The entrants don't have to run or be complete.
Phew! That's good for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Rusty lives again! After months of being down and waiting on a engine Rusty is home and running. Unfortunately I did not get to completely spec out a replacement engine as it seems the 351M and 400 are fairly difficult to locate especially compared with a 351W or a GM crate engine. So Rusty now has a standard remanufactured Ford 400 with an upgraded RV camshaft from S&J engines in Washington. I did upgrade the ignition system with a Proform HEI distributor and the electrical system now has a Powermaster 75 amp one wire alternator to help power future accessories. Also installed a Edelbrock AVS2 1906 650cfm carburetor as well as new engine mounts and of course items like plugs,t-stat, pcv valve. The idea is to get this engine broken in and ensure Rusty is reliable and then possibly start upgrading other components. I do have my eye on a serpentine system with the upgraded AC compressor and Saginaw power steering pump. Time will tell but for now Rusty lives!

Rusty's old 351M engine

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!  I'll bet that 400 has some zip!  I sure hope you get more miles on Rusty this time around than you have in the past.  And, it looks good as well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Good to see Rusty back up and running again! Thanks for the update!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Ok guys I seem to have run into a lighting issue. Wanted to change out my tail light bulbs from incandescent to LED and seems like I've opened up a can of worms. Changing the bulbs out was easy enough but the passenger side stop/turn bulb stays illuminated with the switch and key off. Once I removed the new led bulb the drivers side bulb illuminated. I've checked all fuses and changed out flashers with no success. Currently banging my head against a wall...

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A) you need an electronic flasher because the LED's don't put enough load to properly cycle a thermal relay.
B) What you are seeing is the result of a poor or missing ground for another circuit.
'Something' is finding a path, where that trickle of current was not enough to illuminate an incandescent bulb, before.

Also, given that diodes are polarized, we can eliminate the idea that the taillamp is being back fed.
 Jim,
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 19