518 messages Options
123456 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: T2K-CAR

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the header panel is there, but there was a stamped shallow channel that went across from under the high beam area on each side. It was attached to the radiator support where the center upright is. The fan assembly sort of gets in the way. It would probably be OK as the grille shell is cast metal, but since the bottom of that piece (header panel and grille) is open as it sits right above the bumper I didn't want to leave it potentially unsupported (I'm not a big fan of vibrating headlights). At least it's not a 1985, the grille on those was hinged at the top and spring loaded at the bottom. so there was a lot more in there and no easy way to get around it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, ok.  I don't think there is such a thing as "too solid", so I like your approach.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, time for some more updates. I finished up the transaxle cooler brackets and painted them, got my hoses run and the quick connects installed.

After that was done it was wiring harness time, and a relocation of the 1996 Stratus PDC inboard and down slightly to make it easier to open. This did open another minor can of worms, the Stratus has it mounted longitudinally with the positive battery stud toward the back (Stratus and Cirrus have the battery under the inner fender). I had originally divided the harness into two main portions, one going inside and the other passing under the box to the PCM, with it moved the PCM section became too short to pass under the mount and box and still reach. That will need some work, I have it connected, but don't like the routing, sort of like GM would do, twisted and stuffed.

I will work on that portion when I strip the inside steering and brake pedal brackets off to replace the inside cowl insulation.

I had gotten some new window seals, and finally was able to see how at least one fit, the left side outer. I would put the pictures on, but due to the length of the doors and trying to get a good view it took 9 pictures, 3 before along the length, 3 after and two close-ups of the window guide pads plus an outer overall of most of the door.

Finished up my horns (they came off a PT Cruiser as finding good horns in my collection wasn't possible) these are two wires, and are grounded through the harness rather than the mount. Since it is in the same area I ran the ground and control wire for the high speed fan pressure switch. I put the front bumper cover on to make sure everything cleared. I still have a low temperature cutout switch for the A/C compressor to mount and connect on the left side.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's really good progress, Bill.

How many wires are going to have to be extended?  Will you get the same color wire, or extend in the middle so the ends have the right colors?

Two-wire horns?  I'd not heard of that, but I guess it is really needed on vehicles with composite panels.  But, why on a PT Cruiser?

On the hoses coming through the radiator support, is there a need for protection for them?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Chrysler went to two wire horns in the early 90s I guess so they could put them where ever they sounded best. It may also have been so they just use the horn switch as a ground.

On the hoses they are pretty centered in the opening and are also fairly close to the cooler nipples. The opening is also a factory punched hole so the edges are rolled back toward the engine side.

Wire, I have a large pile of salvaged wire harness parts, if I can't exact match it, I will add the section in the middle. I like to stagger my splices anyway so the bundle doesn't get too bulky. The number to be extended is TBD, some will not need to be done as I found I had some extra lengths on the injector, power, O2, signal ground, knock sensor and ACT leads. The ones that may are the MAP sensor, BARO read solenoid, purge solenoid and waste gate solenoid. These all mount in the area in front of the right strut tower. The signal ground on the MAP sensor will be the easy one as I have the surplus length on the other sensors.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, found out none of the wires need extending, once I positioned everything I have about 8 or 9 that actually need shortening.

The molding clip samples that were forwarded to Ray Cecil are coming to fruition. He sent me the first set of files and the .stl is what my printer uses. After scaling the part (used the X axis measurement as that is the easiest to determine) I ran a trial at medium setting. it looked great so I did another at the fine setting (more layers for a smoother finish) the results are great!

Black one is original, the other two are the printed ones.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good deal on the wires.  

But that's EXCELLENT NEWS on the clips!  Do they appear to be strong enough?  What material did you use?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
They appear to be ok, the material is PLA, Polylactyic Acid and seems strong enough, The ones I will be concerned about are the big ones with the spring pieces on the top.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Figured I ought to post this one, finally got a good used SBEC in hand and was able to actually fire the engine for the first time in nearly 10 years (1985 was totaled in Feb 2009). Ran pretty well, still have to finish sorting vacuum lines and then I can fill the cooling system and run it long enough to get it warmed up all the way.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!  That has to be a wonderful feeling.  By the way, did the package arrive?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes it did, but there was a mystery included. A 3/8" flat washer, nicely powder coated, that I think may have been one of the four from the intake manifold hold downs.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dunno what it fit.  It was "there" so it got PC'd.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, considering that there was a galvanized washer on one of the intake hold down studs, that was my guess, that it got misplaced, and then powder coated. Looks nice though!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Finished the vacuum/pressure harness today, rearranged the heater supply fitting (swapped it for the one from the 1985 car) and filled the cooling system. Then I warmed it up, set the timing and put everything underhood except the cruise control on. I need to get the correct battery so I can fit the cruise control on the battery tray. I need to find some thin walled hose for the radiator overflow and order a piece of 2.25" hose for the intercooler to throttle body section.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll beat Jim to it - Progress is good!  

Does it seem to run well?  Start well?

And, by the way, that plenum looks ..... bland.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I'll beat Jim to it - Progress is good!  

Does it seem to run well?  Start well?

And, by the way, that plenum looks ..... bland.  
Starts and runs nicely, getting all the air out of the cooling system is a royal pain. The procedure for filling these engines is to remove the plug in the top of the thermostat area, after 14 years of being in there even though I used Teflon tape, it won't move. I had a small pinhole leak in the gas line back by the filter and that was making it a little harder to start as the pressure (55 psi) would bleed down and the heat would vaporize the gas in the fuel rail. Once that was fixed it starts nicely.

I know the upper plenum looks bland, first it sat outside on the engine for probably 8 years, second, since they are (a) rare and (b) I only have one I couldn't send it to be powder coated.

I have actually moved it some under it's own power, but found another problem, first I had what I thought was valve train noise (2.2/2.5L Chrysler engines are a bit noisy) even though I had installed a later roller cam. Turns out it was most likely the ZF power steering pump. I had no power steering, and the pump showed no signs of actually moving fluid. Chrysler says "non repairable, replace if bad". Since I found some on-line information on rebuilding them, I figured I couldn't make it any worse, and since it is a vane type like a Saginaw, I thought it might just be stuck vanes in the rotor. Pump body is aluminum, rotor and wear portion are steel. Both front housing and rear plate are chewed up pretty badly as is the outer wear section. Noise was in the pump.

At least I have two Saginaw pumps and the mounts and lines, just haven't found the small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square) for either one. Steering rack is the one I rebuilt on the 1985 car.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Leaks like that a what usually cause me problems on the initial startup of a "restoration".  Way too many possible problems happen.  So getting to start it and move it part way through is a blessing.

As for the pump, they also used a Saginaw?  Why ZF on some and Sag on others?  And you have all the parts but just haven't found the "small plate with the adjusting hole (1/2" square)"?  Or, have never found one?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have no idea, doesn't seem to be model specific. I had wanted to use the ZF as it is smaller and sits further to the right and forward than the Saginaw (remember the comparison pictures). The innards were well ground up. Got the Saginaw bracket mounted, fabricated a tensioning piece because I needed a spacer where it goes anyway. I ended up having to take the fuel lines off to get the Saginaw down in it's location, ZF came out without removing them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Any chance of finding another ZF?  But, I guess you've already moved on past that?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I can get a rebuilt one for around $67, but the Saginaw and plumbing (hoses are way different) along with it's mounting bracket were here. The 1985 pump and the one from the 1986.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

123456 ... 26