518 messages Options
12345 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: T2K-CAR

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, the clamps are the same style Mercedes-Benz and some of the other European manufacturers used on their early EFI systems https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CU0HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 yes, I ordered enough clamps to replace all 8 on the supply side, it also takes a special hose, SAE 30R9 spec.

On the transaxle, I took the cushion spring out of the kickdown (2nd gear) servo, increased the line pressure at the regulator, I believe I used a 3.0L V6 band in it also. It would hit 2nd with a definite "snap", shift points at WOT were 56 and 79 mph.

Matt had it to 121 and still pulling at the mixing bowl in NOVA when some one tried to cut him off. He said the digital display didn't blank at 85, but kept counting to 99, then went 00 as it did not have a 3 digit capable front board, he said then it started up again and was at 21 when he let off it and braked for the exit ramp. I would loved to have seen the look on the guy's face that tried to cut him off!

If you "power braked" it from a standing start, it would only go to 5 psi until the computer saw pulses from the speed sensor, then would instantly jump to 14 psi. New computer is set to 15 psi. I can go higher, but 15 is the max on a 2 bar MAP sensor, to go higher I need a 3 bar sensor and a different tune to run it.

The MAP sensor uses a 5 volt reference just like Ford does, but the output is a straight voltage signal with 0 being full vacuum (not really possible) and on a non-turbo, 5 being atmospheric pressure (1 bar). On the turbos, 0 is still vacuum, but 2.5V is atmospheric pressure and 5 volts is 15 psi above, or 30 psi absolute. For a 3 bar, scale is from 0 to 45 psi absolute, or 30 psi boost. at 20-25 psi these things will get over 300 HP, mine is around 200 HP at the 14 psi boost.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like you have the clamp issue sorted.

200 HP in that vehicle would certainly be snappy!  And 300 would probably be scary.  It sounds like you are doing something like you do with Core Tuning's software on the computer on that one.  Right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, but the Chrysler computers are a bit different as far as doing anything with them. You have to socket them them burn a new chip (which is no longer made). There is a way to make them flashable. There are 3 generations including what I will be using, 2 part, single module and single board. The single board, or SBEC is the one I will use and the SBEC II which came out in 1992, it is designed around the updated air bag steering column and uses steering wheel controls rather than a column stalk for the speed control.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since it has been a while since I posted anything on this, I have been busy with it since last Wednesday. I drove Darth to Newport News and picked up the tow dolly and konvertible. Brought it back, unfortunately Donnie's help, decided to clean things up while he was out after hernia surgery and tossed the perfect trunk lid from the Reliant and the wheels he had kept for me. I have it up on jack stands currently so I could replace the brake lines (both the long ones that run from the block under the master cylinder to the rear) and the rear hoses (4 of them, 2 per side). I cleaned the firewall and drilled the holes for the firewall heat shield and installed it.

I started installing the underside heat shields and found I have to do a little modification as the turbo has an extra shield where the exhaust passes by the gas tank. The piece I have came off the 1989 car which was a late 1989 model and is different from the early and the 1986 turbo car one. I have to add a retaining "stud" (actually a fair size sheet metal screw inserted from inside the car).

They had removed the parking brake cables and I was afraid they had lost the piece where the pedal portion of the cable connects to the long undercar cable that goes to the rear brake cables. I finally found it in the box of odds and ends from the Reliant.

I did a trial fit of the 1992 Shadow condensor with my pusher fans and then mounted the front bumper bar with new built from scratch isolators. The car has a 5 mph bumper with the actual shocks instead of the collapsible stampings. The shocks had a pair of rubber isolators that after 30 + years were pretty well DOA. Everything seemed to fit nicely, I still have to figure out the A/C condensor mounts and the transaxle cooler as it is not in the radiator tank.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since Jim hasn't checked in for a while I'll say it - progress is good!

But, it is a shame about the trunk lid and wheels.  Do you need those?  Can you find replacements?

Looks like you found new isolators for the bumper.  And the shocks are cool.  I think Jeep is still using them.

The fans seem to fit nicely.  But does the computer run them?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Trunk lid would be nice, this one has some difficult to remove dings. Wheels, biggest thing he had good tires for them and had already given me them, but they are on GM rims which will not clear the HD front discs on the convertibles. LeRoy, his ace parts puller is going to snag me some more wheels for it. The other 2 wheels with good tires also vanished. These were more for temporary, move it around use, I have some nice 15" mags for it, actually 2 different styles, one I have 4 of the other 6 of. Standard tire size was 195/70-14, optional 205/60-15.

The computer will control low fan, a high pressure switch on the condensor will kick on high speed if needed. Chrysler computers for these engines did not have dual fan speed capability. Low will come on either with engine temperature or A/C compressor on. Primary reason for the pusher system is the intercooler for the turbo, it is probably 6" wide and about twice the radiator thickness so the stock fan only covers the radiator area and isn't adequate for R134a in a hot, humid area. I had to revert the 1985 car to R12 in order to get adequate cooling without burning up the compressor belt.

Some more pictures, heat shields, fuel lines and tank.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like you have it mapped out.

Is that a Saginaw pump?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is a ZF pump, I wanted to use it for two main reasons, (a) the belt tension is done with a nut on the end of a special stud and (b) it moves the reservoir up and further to the right away from the exhaust manifold.

Saginaw pumps were the most common ones in those years. Surprisingly enough, that pump pre-dates the Daimler-Chrysler years, it was on the 1989 Lebaron 2.5L turbo engine.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It kinda resembles a Sag, but I didn't think it was quite the same.  That adjustment sounds neat.  And extra distance from the exhaust is a big help.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Did some more on the front end today along with finally getting the parking brake system finished. The condensor from the 1992 Sundance physically fits in place, the mounts were just way different. The lowers are designed to sit on a pair of pedestals on either end and the coil actually hangs slightly below these. After a careful examination I found the brackets for the end supports are attached with screws. By removing the screws, the brackets can be moved down to the point where the lower face of the bracket is flush with the bottom of the coils. The rubber feet raise it just enough that it sits exactly where the old condensor did, it's just a little wider.

After that, I looked at the upper mounts, the right side originally had a large tab to the radiator support and a smaller one the fan shroud attached to, left side just a tab for a bolt to the radiator support. I turned the right side around and then removed the original attaching tab, I used the fan shroud tab instead. Left side I ended up installing a stud, which will have a spacer and nut to attach to the original mount.

Here is the completed mounting installed.

After the location was done, I used a 1 1/4" hole saw to provide room for the high pressure fan switch.

I then covered the rectangular opening next to the radiator opening as it was a vestige from the days of the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine, a cooling duct for the carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
That hole looks just like one in a Ford radiator support.  

Anyway, you really are making progress.  And I'll bet you are really glad you have the shop to work in.  Especially with the Noreaster coming.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, it was nice in there today, temperature was nice and it was dry. Major milestone today, the 2.2L T2 engine is in it's new home!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That certainly IS a major achievement.  Looks right at home there, too.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Hey 85Lebaron2,

I spotted this little gem at the Pick N Pull last week, and forgot that you were an 80's Dodge/Mitsubishi fan. It was a new arrival, and was surprisingly intact and rust/damage free. Plate showed that it was last road legal in 1993. It even had the famed twin-stick "Super Shifter" transmission. It was like a 4spd with a ruxel!! I had to share for 80's nostalgia sake. I haven't laid eyes on one of these cars in decades.

PS: That is one heck of a project you've got going on there. Wow. Well done.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Lord, I probably worked on some of them. I worked a Tysinger Motor Company from late 1978 till January 1982. I was primarily a Mercedes-Benz tech, but did Jaguars, MGs, Dodge Imports and even some regular Dodge cars and trucks, particularly 4WD models.

Today I got my replacement front calipers and new fuel filter in. I was able to install the drive axles and the front calipers. It was a pair of loaded Kelsey-Hayes front calipers for a whopping $13.86 for the pair from Rock Auto. Filter was $2.10. The drive axles were fairly fresh when the 1985 was totaled, so I kept them.

After that I went back underneath to fight with the fuel filter. It is located just ahead of the right rear suspension pivot in a recess next to the fuel tank and getting the 5/16" ID 30R9 hose over the ends of the fuel line and filter is a royal PITA due to the lack of room. The filters on these are strange, inlet and outlet are on the same end, inlet on the outer area, outlet in the center. Inlet hose from the tank piping is about 4" long and goes straight into the filter, outlet hose is a U shape and goes back, then forward over the filter mount to feed the main fuel line to underhood. It took nearly 30 mins to bet the hoses on and clamped. Now I have to find the mounting bolt for it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - What's your estimate on when this thing will be on the road?  It is coming together quickly.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Oh, it will be a while, the whole interior needs to be redone, new windshield and really will need painting and a new top (not necessarily in that order). I am still chasing down parts that are hiding, like the power steering pump adjusting J-bolt. The wiring also all needs to be reinstalled and the changes finished up.

I am thinking about rigging up a temporary power switch and starter button so once the underhood wiring is done I can run a wire to the fuel pump and at least be able to (a) run the engine and (b) move it around under it's own power.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Some more progress, and I think Gary Lewis' gremlin that hides parts has been here. I ended up having to make a new tensioning J bolt for the ZF power steering pump as the original one is no where to be found. I used a mystery shoulder bolt that had the correct M10X1.5 thread for the locking nut and an extra double ended water pump stud also M10X1.5 to provide the adjusting bolt.

Once that was installed and the belts on and adjusted, I finished up the fuel lines, front and rear including the proper fuel filter bolt.

Note that there is room to get the power steering cap off.

Here is a shot looking over the K member at the Garrett turbocharger and 2 1/2" OD pipe flange.

Now, if I can just find where that gremlin hid my radiator mounts
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I did some more work on the front area as far as finishing up the pusher fan mounts and making some brackets to replace the original header panel bracing that attached to the center of the radiator support. This ties the inner portion of the headlight pockets to the radiator support so they won't shake going down the road.

After getting these done, for one thing, the header panel will now sit in place for assembly without being held, it was transaxle cooler time. The turbo II radiator/intercooler has no provision for a transmission fluid cooler. I had picked up one from a Durango with the 4.7L Powertech V8. This was the only cooler, not an auxiliary one. I was able to fit it horizontally in front of the fan motors, and roughly behind the bumper area where there are two good sized air slots.

Header panel brackets

Right side bracket

Left side bracket

Cooler mounted

Right end (originally a slip in rubber pad)

Left end (bracket will be welded or brazed, tubes have mating quick connect fittings)

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Lots of good fabrication going on there.  But I'm a little lost on the issue with the headlights.  Why is the original header panel not there?  What am I missing?

12345 ... 26