223 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess I've never seen anything like that.  Cool!  So when I REALLY get old I can keep on wrenching.  

I don't think I'm ready for it now, but it is good to know it exists.  Thanks!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
We had those at NNS and the USMC AMTRACS had a dial unit with a hand crank and one long reaction lever.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Shaun, I haven't forgotten your shock tower pic.

I'm just WAY busy during daylight hours..  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
No rush, it's only curiosity.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I think I need that F 250 pitman arm...
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It's yours.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Funny story:

I sent the PS gear box you gave from me Huck into Blue Top Steering Gear last week. I pulled the Pitman (which took like an hour) before I sent it. I get a call from Ryan at Blue Top earlier this week. He wants to know if I want the gear box rebuilt. I said "of course, that's why I sent it to you". He replied saying that is one of the tightest boxes anybody has ever sent me . He said if you are having steering issues it must be something else because that box is fine lol. I had to tell him it was just a donor from a truck we didnt know much about. I used it so I didnt have to pull mine down until yours made it back here.

Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That IS funny!  It might have been better than Big Blue's, which is a AGR Performance Remanufactured Steering Box.  Note that it goes for $422 and has one review - a 1 out of 5 stars.    (As you know, I didn't buy it.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
The guy that reviewed it sounded like he was disappointed there wasnt a 0 star option...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  

As I bolted that box on I thought "Should I order a BlueTop?"  It would have been so easy at that point since I didn't even have the 350 Pitman arm on yet and none of the hoses/tubes connected.  Guess at this point I'll run it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And we'll see if the review was an anomaly or an omen.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's probably only about 5,000 miles on that box, and there was something "not right" about the steering.  Plus it seemed to be getting worse.  It was loose and there was a pop somewhere.  Hopefully the loose Huck bolt, the loose driver's side perch, and other loose things I've found account for that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
I havent gotten my steering box back yet form Blue Top. When I spoke to Ryan the owner on the phone I discussed his competition with him for a brief second. A lot of people have the same complaints about his former employer. There is a cover with four bolts on the box. The bolts are coming loose and it destroys a seal making them leak. Someone at the facility is not torquing them bolts right or not using thread locker.

He also told me that place has around 30 employees now and seems to be having issues with QC. Ryan explained to me that when he started working there it was just him and the owner. Both of them did all of the work. Now that Ryan has his own business he has just a couple of employees. They tear down the units and clean the parts up. He does all of the machine work and building of the boxes. He also is the only one that tests them before they get sent out.

I like knowing Ryan handles all of those tasks himself. I believe he has a quality product.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
This post was updated on .
It came in:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That was Monday.  Is it on yet?  If so, how's it feel?

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Not yet. Ryan said it would feel tight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update here.  The ball joints are in the knuckles and the knuckles are installed on the axle.  And the tie rods are installed.  

Here's a shot of the driver's side knuckle on, although you can see an ear of the passenger's side knuckle to prove it is there:

And here's a shot of the steering linkage on, with all new components save for the one adjuster sleeve:

And, here's a shot of three of the adapters I used on the ball joints.  In the middle is the 1 3/4" long one that came with the HF ball joint kit, and the one on the right is the 3" long one I made some time ago to remove the lower ball joint.  And the one on the left is the one I made today that is only 3/4" long, used to install the lower ball joint.  (Boy, is it good to have a stash of tubing, a band saw, and a lathe!)

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
salans7 likes this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Shaun.  

I neglected to say that I'm following Ford's instructions here for the installation procedure and torque values: Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials, and then click on these tabs: Front Axles & Differentials, then Instructions, then Dana 60, then Ball Joint.  The instructions there are from the 1995 factory shop manual and match the axle I'm using.

And it is important to use those instructions as using the ones in the Kingpin tab will have you confused and worried.  Confused because several things are different between the two.  And worried because there are things shown on the kingpin axle that aren't on the ball joint axle.  For instance in the illustration of parts on the axle shaft the kingpin version has a bronze spacer and an axle seal that the ball joint version doesn't have.  So if you are servicing a D60 axle you need to pay attention to which set of instructions you use.

Also, while this site doesn't yet have the instructions for the tie rods, the tightening torque for the stud nuts is 50 - 75 lb-ft.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, today I thought I might get the axles in, but pulled the tape off that was supposedly keeping the inside of the axle tubes clean.  And, I was a bit surprised by what I found.  

Here's the driver's side:

And, while that looked bad, here's the passenger's side:

So I spent quite a bit of time cleaning things up, gently so nothing was kicked back down the tube into the differential.  Turned out that the stuff was hard, and it took a really long screwdriver to reach in and break the stuff loose.  Then I fashioned a loop out of wire and reached in and pulled the debris out.  Then I broke more loose pulled it out.  Next I used a brass wire brush saturated in brake cleaner, with a stiff wire taped to it, and reached in and made sure I was pulling it out so anything kicked up would come out rather than in.  And finally I wrapped a piece of a paper towel around the brush and wiped the tube down.

Here's the driver's side after  Not perfect, but a bit better.

And here's the passenger's side, although I ran out of time today and will clean it up a bit more tomorrow before I put the axles in.

1 ... 6789101112