223 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the one!  Thanks again for that.  It'll go on Dad's truck as soon as I find the right bolts and powder coat them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Short 5/16-18 with a flange head if I remember correctly.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I'll report back in Dad's Truck Build thread later.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I now have everything but the SORD cross member painted or powder coated.  Here are the spring hangers, shackles, and the spacers:

And here are the frame boxes.  They've been blasted and then painted with a zinc-rich weld-through primer since they'll be welded into the inside of the frame to ensure they don't rattle.  But before doing that I'll need to use the same paint on the inside of the frame.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the frame boxes welded into the frame today.  First, here's one of the welds.  Sometimes you get lucky.  

And here are the boxes welded on.  As previously said, I used a zinc-based weld-through primer before welding, and then touched it up afterward.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good sir!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the cross member powder coated and possibly some painting done on the frame.  I have gray POR15, but I need to do some SERIOUS degreasing to ensure it adheres.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
What a project!
 I'm curious to see how much trouble others will have with this kit install. I wonder if there are frame measurements we could take to see if we'd have as many fitment issues as you seem to.

Very clean work, though. I'm impressed.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What measurements would you like?  I just measured and the frame horns on Big Blue measure 39 3/4" outside/outside.  And Dad's measures 40".  If that's what your truck has then this should be easy.  But in Big Blue's case the driver's side frame horn was bent out 1 1/8" and that caused all sorts of problems.

On a truck with a straight frame this should be a simple job, albeit with lots of work 'cause there needs to be rivets removed, new holes drilled, etc.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today I cleaned, primed and painted the frame horns, the welded-in frame boxes, and the engine crossmember.  (The latter isn't really part of the SORD project, but since it had been repaired by welding a patch in it needed to be painted as well.)  Plus I primed/painted the bolt holes both in the frame horns as well as where the rear spring hangers bolt on.

I'd said I was going to use POR15 for this, but I realized today that there was a lot of paint left on and wasn't sure POR would adhere to that.  Plus, there was essentially no rust, which it likes to bond to.  So I just used rattle can primer and satin black paint.

Maybe tomorrow I can get the SORD crossmember powder coated and then I can start the installation of all the bits and pieces.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And today I media blasted the SORD crossmember and powder coated it.  Then I installed it as well as the two rear shackle hangers and torqued all the fasteners.

I was hoping to get the springs hung today, but I discovered that I've missed powder coating a couple of parts, and I ran out of time anyway.  So maybe tomorrow I can get that done and then, maybe hook up to the D60.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today I got the springs installed and then the Dana 60 quasi installed.  But it was not without problems.  However, I overcame most of them, and here's the proof:

Having said that, I do have a problem.  The lower shock mount hits the differential where a flange sticks out.  You can see it in the pic below where the left end of the shock plate hits the diff, but there's space showing between the plate and the spring.

It is in the right place as it has to fit over the bolt head that holds the spring pack together, so I don't understand why I'm having the problem.  Any suggestions?

Also, here's an example of why you want a donor vehicle.  Spot the difference(s) in the shock towers?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Progress is good!  

But isn't tomorrow a day of rest?
Or, maybe BB isn't work or a chore, but just time to be in the moment and relax.

I've been getting the tack room ready for winter, running power for that electric baseboard, mending and painting fences,  and prepping some lighting and power on the far side of the paddock where I need to weld in the guard rail by the retaining wall.

So, no truck stuff sadly.
But I am practicing with the flux core out in the wind, and that will help me fix Lil' Red before winter weather hits (hopefully)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
BB isn't truly work, although torquing those bolts to 180 lb ft is a chore.

Hope you get the welding down pat so you can fix that pinch weld.  Winter is just around the corner.  

On the interference, I'm going to check to see if one of the shock plates is shorter than the other, but I don't think so.  If not, then I may have to shorten that plate,  But the issue is that the tab is what hits the bump stop, so I can't shorten it much.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the u-bolts.  The SORD instructions say to install new ones, but I thought mine were ok.  Nope!  After cleaning them up they need to be replaced.  They measure 3" inside and 8" long and are 12-2.0mm.  Any suggestions on where to get them?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
What goes on that tab? Nothing? Grind it to clear. Don't forget that RSK is giving you an extra 2" in height, so will your axle even hit the bumpstop?

As for the shock towers, F350's got the 4 bolt, F250's have two. I thought we covered that very early on?

The towers were updated around 86 to go from a stud to the bolt design up top.

New Front U-Bolts
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I would say go to any spring shop or truck repair & parts store.

They will usually bend them up for you while you wait.
Surely there's some places in T-town?

But without clicking the link, I assume Shaun has you covered.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Jim - Shaun has me covered.

Shaun - I like the Sky solution.  Thanks.  And I want Option C as it is a perfect fit.  I'll call Erik on Monday.

As for the tab, I'll probably grind it off, but am confused as to why it hits.  The diff and the shock plates were used together, so how could it not work?  Hmmm, maybe the '95 springs are thicker?  That would do it!

On the shock towers, we may have covered it, but it was probably when I was inundated with info and some of it rolled right off.  Or, I've slept since then.  Either way, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Do you know the correct positioning for the towers?  In other words, do I evenly space the bolt holes with reference to the existing holes?  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim - Shaun has me covered.

Shaun - I like the Sky solution.  Thanks.  And I want Option C as it is a perfect fit.  I'll call Erik on Monday.

As for the tab, I'll probably grind it off, but am confused as to why it hits.  The diff and the shock plates were used together, so how could it not work?  Hmmm, maybe the '95 springs are thicker?  That would do it!

On the shock towers, we may have covered it, but it was probably when I was inundated with info and some of it rolled right off.  Or, I've slept since then.  Either way, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Do you know the correct positioning for the towers?  In other words, do I evenly space the bolt holes with reference to the existing holes?  
My bet would be on thicker springs.

You are correct, it needs to be mounted even to where the stock mount is. So your holes should go on either side of the two stock holes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  This kind of info will help the next guy that does this.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, was the 95 a Diesel truck? 7.3L PSD is even heavier than a 460 and has two big batteries and an enormous radiator.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

1 ... 3456789 ... 12