223 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sky's Offroad Design Super Duty RSK Install

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, the '95 was an oil-burner - and leaker.  Man, what a MESS!

Good thinking, Bill.  I'll bet that's it.  I still have the diesel's springs, so can measure them to confirm that it is a spring thickness problem.  That's something that those that walk this way should know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Tulsa Auto Spring over on 21st and Sheridan makes them. Just bring an old one with you.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
Makes U bolts.

Tried to edit the above post. Potential train wreck was trying to unfold.
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I assumed that is what you meant.  Not sure when/if I'll get into town.  Probably cheaper in town, but with Sky I can get it on order and move on to something else.  I have to get ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings, and u-joints on order so I can finish the installation.

By the way, when you come to get that front end you'll need to bring tires and wheels as I'll have those back on Big Blue.  Soon I hope.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I assume with pre-97 D60's getting harder to find in useable shape, there won't be many people needing this info. The new kit Sky just dropped that allows you to bolt in an 05+ coil sprung D60 is a game changer and you will definitely start to see much more of those installs happening in the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sky always seems to be innovating.

And I'm glad to find that their customer relations is responsive and accommodating
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting, Shaun.  I didn't know they'd announced it, but knew they were working on it.  When I called Erik this week to ask him some questions about Brandon/Bruno2 using Big Blue's castoff front suspension to convert his 90's 2wd to 4wd that's what he was working on.

In some ways I'm sorry I'm going with the leaf springs.  But to do the coils would require finding both front and rear suspensions and changing wheels, which seems like a lot more than what I'm doing.  And this seems like a lot.

But they are innovative!  And helpful.  I don't mind paying a bit more to get the u-bolts from them as I know they'll be good and it might, in a very small way, help them do more things for these trucks.  Same reason I bought the shocks from them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
What are you doing for balljoints?

I am using Dana Spicer from here on out. Moog just isn't lasting very long for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Haven't ordered them yet.  Probably will this week.  Guess I'll go with Dana Spicer then.  Used Moog on Dad's truck, but doubt it'll ever wear them out.  Hopefully BB will see some usage.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Gary, the 05+ kit is up on their website. Right now it's only listed for the 92-97 trucks, but we all know there's somebody who is going to adapt it, if not Eric himself.

As for the U-bolts, Sky is actually in a fair spot, I think I usually pay $50 for a set of U bolts from RuffStuff.

I swore off of Moog a long time ago, their boots are garbage and always tear on me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I see the coil kit.  I don't think there's enough difference between 85 and 92 frames to make the adaptation difficult.

But there are things that I don't understand, such as "Bracket will not yield as much uptravel without a stock diff cover."  Would I not be able to run an Ox locker w/o limiting travel?  (That's a moot point as I'm not going that way."

On the u-bolts, I've seen them closer to $40, but I know the SORD quality will be good and will fit.  Plus they come with washers, which most don't.

So, if not Moog for tie rods then what?  Whom?  Which?  I'll be ordering soon.  (The WHOLE steering/suspension and front driveline will be NEW!)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Currie and TRW have always been good for me.
But then, I thought Moog was good product too.
I guess when R&D and QC go overseas the quality does too.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The reason the shock plate hits the diff is fairly obvious here.  The difference in total thickness of the spring packs is 1.782 - 1.213 = .569".  That will do it.  So I'll trim the shock plate and that'll fix it.....

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That riser plate is your answer, I was going to suggest that but I wasn't sure if the OBS F350's had them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that was the issue. I took 1/2" off the shock plate, and that gave me .2" clearance, as shown below. So I could have taken 3/8" off. Or even .25" and then beveled the bottom edge. But it looks like if the axle moves straight up into the bump stop there will now be only 2" of contact instead of 2 1/2". And if the DS wheel comes up and the PS doesn't then it'll hit fully.

And now I'm tightening all of the fasteners using the torque specs in this extract from the '95 FSM:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought I posted this, but apparently not.  Anyway, I bolted the '95 shock tower up using two of the four bolts, as shown, and then held a framing square up against the eye on the lower plate.  It lines up perfectly with the top of the tower, so there's no need to drill four holes, just use the existing ones and drill two more.

Then I trial-fitted one of the shocks - perfect!  So tomorrow I'll drill two more holes on each side and bolt the shock towers in and then mount the shocks.

But wait, there's more!  I mounted the panhard rod bracket on the engine crossmember.  And with that, I'm done for the day.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well I feel better knowing that the angle of the shock must not matter that much. I can understand minor variations but to move it that far and have it be okay is wild. It must have to do with the stud style shock. I would love to see where the front shock is mounted on a bricknose F250 because there's no way you could get away with that big of a difference on an eyelet style upper. Jim?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
  I'm here...!

It's been raining quite a bit, but if the ground is firm I'll put my truck up and pull a wheel.

What measurements do you want?
And a pic from approximately the same angle???
I have plenty of framing squares but there's no way one would fit, axle to shock tower like that.

If I had more time this week, it might have been the motivation I needed to wrestle heavy pieces and get all my front suspension bushings and shackles changed.
But I don't like working on my back in the mud, and I have WAY too much to finish before I dig into something like that.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
No need for an 8 page micro analysis, just a picture looking straight at the shock would suffice.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I got you covered.  

Maybe not today. That soaking rain has left everything a muddy mess.

With that, I've got to get off to work.....
 Jim,
1 ... 45678910 ... 12