437 messages Options
1 ... 171819202122
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  I've added links to those pages, as well of a discussion of what's on the tabs, in the Instructions tab.  Please see what you think.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I like how they say anything above 14.7:1 is too lean, and that you should have knock at full throttle with the advance disconnected.
Simple. Basic. Common sense, that seems to be lacking in today's world.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that is simple.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our member Johnathan/StraightSix sent me a writeup on how to install a Detroit/Eaton Truetrac in one of the Bullnose 8.8" rear axles.  That's significant as Eaton doesn't produce the Truetrac for the 83-86 3/4" cross pin version of the axle, only the '87+ version of the axle with a 7/8" cross pin.  But Johnathan figured out how to do it!  

It is at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.  Then go to the Rear Axles & Differentials tab, then the Instructions tab, then the Ford 8.8" tab.  And there you'll see both the factory shop manual instructions for the 8.8", which I just added, as well as his writeup.

Thanks, Johnathan!  

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks Gary! I hope it is helpful to someone!

Im just waiting on my axle spacer to be finished and then the Bronco should be back on the road. I have my fingers crossed for this weekend!
1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Great stuff Johnathan
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s great! Thanks Johnathon!

Edit: correct spelling.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, it has been quite a while since I've posted in here, partially because there haven't been any "big" additions to the documentation.  But today there was a large one - John/JohhnyD's how-to on going from slide to pin-style locks.  

Go to Documentation/Interior/Doors/Door Locks and then the Change From Slide To Pin Style Locks tab.

Thanks, John!  Well done!

And for those who might question why we have a page on this in addition to a thread on it, that's because over time the thread will drop off the first page and then go on farther and farther into the background.  Yes, it can be found if you know the proper terms for searching, but you may have to try several times.

But since it'll be on the Door Lock page you won't have to search for it.  Go to a logical place for it and there it'll be.  Besides, we can format better on the website than we can in the forum.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  Part of the lull has been that my scanner died.  But it has now been replaced by Xerox, under warranty no less, and I'm back in business.

So yesterday and today I scanned some of the documents that Bill/85lebaront2 sent me.  But you may have seen in Site Formatting Question & Possible Solution that those documents are from the 90's.  And while it might not seem appropriate to have them on the site, they are helpful since many of us have incorporated later bits and pieces into our trucks.

Anyway, I've added columns for 1990 - 96 to the Manuals & Literature spreadsheet to accommodate these later docs:

1990: Owner's Guide; Operating Guide; Maint Sched & Record Log; Warranty Info Booklet

1995: Maint Sched

And while it might not seem all that much, it's another 435 pages of documentation.  

Now for a bit of note-taking for me.  I've come up with a technique that works fairly well for the little booklets that are held together with staples in the middle and I want to capture it 'cause I will forget it otherwise.  But first, the problem is that each piece of paper actually has four pages on it.  And they are NOT sequential.  

However, my scanner scans both the front and back of each page at the same time and creates an image for each side separately.  So if it is a 6-page document the first image will have Page 1 and Page 6 on one side of it.  The second will have Page 2 & Page 5.  And the third image will have Page 3 & Page 4.

So here's what I did in my pdf application after the scanning and OCR'ing are done:

1: Duplicate each image and put the duplicates at the end of the document.  But in the 6-page example that leaves the deck with pages in this order: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4.  However I need the duplicated pages to be in reverse order as the 2nd page on each image is in reverse order.

2: Move each of the duplicated images to the end of the document, one at a time, starting with the next-to-last image.  Do it one at a time until you get to the last image, which is in the center of the deck and is usually the back & front cover, and move it.  And in our example we'll have: 1 & 6; 2 & 5; 3 & 4; 3 & 4; 2 & 5; 1 & 6

3: Crop the odd numbered images by moving the left margin to the middle of the page.  That takes the back half of each image off.  In other words, in our 6-page example on the first image we are cropping Page 6 off and leaving Page 1.  So now the images in our example look like: 1; 2 & 5; 3; 3 & 4; 5; 1 & 6

4: Crop the even numbered images by moving the right margin to the middle of the page, taking the front half off the even images.  So in our example we now have: 1; 2; 3; 4; 5; 6.

Yes, that is painful.  And the file is twice the size it needs to be as every page is in there twice since cropping doesn't delete it but just hides it.  So it is better to cut the pages up and scan them individually.  But I didn't want to do that to Bill's booklets.  However, for the '90 owner's guide I did pull the pages out as getting a good scan of "bound" things is very difficult.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, other than the 1996 stuff, you can do what ever you want, just send the 1996 and Kelsey-Hayes part back when you are done.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I thought I'd put the '90 and '95 stuff on the shelf if you don't want it.  And I won't tear up the '96 stuff.  In fact, I may start scanning it tomorrow.  We shall see.  But I want to do the thermactor scanning first.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For today's announcement: We now have the 1980 factory shop manual section on thermactor systems on the site.  And I've also included the sections from the 1982 and 1986 Engine Emission Diagnosis manuals on the page.  They are at Documentation/Emissions/Thermactor Systems.  (Yes, the '82 and '86 info is still on the pages in the respective Engine Emissions Diagnosis books, but it seemed appropriate to include it on the Thermactor page as well.)

In '80 the thermactor chapter was in the Engine book of the FSM.  But in '81 it says to refer to the Engine Emissions Diagnosis book so apparently that is when Ford came out with the generic info on the various emissions systems.  I say "generic" as the emissions book covers all vehicles where the factory shop manuals cover specific vehicles.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Also, I discovered in the 1980 document that there's the statement below on Page 5.  So I did a bit of research and found SSD-4 & 5 in a 97-page chapter called "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service".  I scanned it in and then extracted SSD-4 & 5 and inserted them at the end of the 1980 Thermactor FSM document.

So if you click on the blue box around SSD-4 or SSD-5 (in the document, not here as that's a picture) you'll be taken to the respective page.  For reference SSD-4 is "Thermactor System - Non-Catalytic" and SSD-5 is "Thermactor System - Catalytic".  And they have testing and repair procedures.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And now for that 97-page chapter in the 1980 FSM entitled "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service".  I've added it to the page at Documentation/Engines/General Engine Service, which took a bit of reorganization of that page.

And I've included the index page, below left, and the 2nd page about PCV valves on the right.  (Did you know there two types of PCV valves???)  So you can see the type of information that's in the document.

As you can see, there is a whole more info in that document than just "engine diagnosis".  So I may extract the "Emission Control System Diagnosis & Service Procedures" stuff, section by section and include them in the related pages.  For instance, we have several pages on air cleaners (Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/...) and I could put the Air Cleaner Temperature Control Systems section there.

So I'd like y'all to look it over and let me know if you see something in there that we need to include elsewhere.  Or, something we should like to from elsewhere.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The next installment.  First, the "vacuum" section has been moved out from the Underhood area, and it is now at Documentation/Vacuum Systems, with these changes:

Vacuum System Acronyms: We've had the acronyms on a page, but they were really hard to find so now they have their own page

Vacuum System Requirements: Ditto the acronyms.  We've had these requirements but they weren't easily found so now they have their own page.

Vacuum System Testing: This is a new page and it has two entries so far - sections from the Engine Diagnosis & Service section on Vacuum Delay Valve and the Ported Vacuum Switch.  I'll add sections as and when I find them.

The Engine Diagnosis & Service section has information on testing the ignition system, so I extracted it and placed it on a tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition.  And some of it is very interesting.  For instance it has you test the module by placing a heat lamp 1 - 2" from it and getting it up close to, but not quite to, boiling.  And it says "An engine that idles smoothly but becomes rough when accelerated (1000-2000 rpm) can be caused by crossed orange and purple primary ignition wires in the engine harness between the distributor and the module."  

And we already had a page for EGR at Documentation/Engines/EGR Valves/EGR System Description & Testing.  So I extracted the EGR section from the Engine Diagnosis & Testing section and added it to a tab on that page.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks to Bill/85lebaront2 we now have the 1996 F-Series Maintenance Schedule booklet on site.  It shows in the spreadsheet on the Documentation/Manuals & Literature page.

And since that's the year front axle and transmission I have...  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks for the upload Gary! I can technically use it as well since my front axle is from a 1995 and uses the bolt on calipers.

Speaking of maintenance schedules, it's almost time for my 4th spark plug and wire change on my DD Ranger. Hard to believe I'm almost at 200k but I also have owned/daily driven the truck for 11 years now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a lot of miles, Shaun.  

As for documentation, glad you can use it.  How 'bout a '96 owner's manual?  I have 209 of the 420 pages of Bill's '96 manual scanned, and hope to finish tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
That's a lot of miles, Shaun.  

As for documentation, glad you can use it.  How 'bout a '96 owner's manual?  I have 209 of the 420 pages of Bill's '96 manual scanned, and hope to finish tomorrow.
158,000 of those miles are mine.  They tend to rack up faster now since I have a 40 mile round trip drive to work, but I'm aiming to see how long I can keep the old girl going.

Not sure there's much for me to use in a 1996 owner's manual. I think I have a 1986 owner's manual, which is what my drivetrain is based off of (with exception to the 1356 T-Case).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have both the 86 owners and operators guides on the site.

As for the mileage, 40 x 5 x 50 is 10,000/year. That’s not all that much.

1 ... 171819202122