437 messages Options
1 ... 19202122
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, having dealt with numerous part numbering systems (Ford, GM, Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, MG to name the bulk of them) I have found that Ford and Mercedes-Benz have the most logical ones to follow.

The center part of a Ford PN identifies the basic part, like 12B579 is on MAFs, 9424 is intake manifolds, 9510 is carburetors. Mercedes-Benz PNs are numeric in 3 groups of 3, 1 group of 2. In theirs the second set of 3 is the basic group, I believe 260 is transmissions. First group of 3 is the engine or chassis the part was first used on (like for years the 9" carrier to axle gasket had a B7A prefix) for example, an engine PN for the DOHC 2.8L would be 110 as it is an M110 engine. 116 was the 3.5L V8, 117 the 4.5L V8.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I take your point on the 4th digit of the prefix, however I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing and reading.

First, as it turns out a "Z" means a Ford service part and a "Y" means a Lincoln service part - in the part number.

But there's quite a bit of confusion in my mind about the use of other letters in the part number.  For the most part what I'm seeing in the MPC is that the part numbers stick with the Z or Y and it is the ID # that uses the other letters.  BUT I AM VERY CONFUSED ABOUT THAT AND BEG FOR CLARIFICATION!

As for odd numbers being left and even numbers right, read on...

Bill - You may be right that the "Ford and Mercedes-Benz have the most logical" numbering systems.  However, there are lots of variations that boggle my mind.  For instance your statement that 9424 is an intake manifold.  But then how can a 9425 also be an intake manifold and even replace a 9424?  Then there's the "E0AZ 9424-E r/b E1SZ 9433-C".  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yup. It's the part number you order but many of us find parts at swap meets, the pile in our neighbor's garage, online where someone only lists it by the ID# because they are looking at a part that's completely obsolete/the dealer doesn't have books or microfiche any more and has no motivation to help.

M, U and X in the line code are SVO parts, aka: homologation specials.
They don't always follow the rules.

Honestly, this wouldn't be the first time you've caught a typo in the parts book.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, I've done a major revision of the page, so please take a look and let me know what you think.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think you've done a great job!   I
Clear and understandable while elaborating on those nuance's.

One additional thing. I didn't mention a concern about is that many of the illustrations are kinda generic.
As in wysiNwyg.  
Bulletproof F250 was asking about his "D44HD (axle to) spindle bearing', and -of course- my pedantic self gave him the part numbers for spindle to hub bearings and seal....  

But I pasted the diagram from the D44 documentation page asking to please clarify X base number for that bearing at that location.
The diagram doesn't show the other (left) upright and spindle.
But: A) he didn't seem to get that you needed to cross that base part# in the interchange for his specific truck to get a P/N.
B) that bearing is shown for the right side only, because that axle is unsupported in the pivoting beam  (I didn't know the R/L even/odd trick at that time)

Anyway.. two thumbs up!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I realized just now that I didn't put the links in so others can research it more, but then I put in most of the detail, so I need to think through that.

And yes, the illustrations are generic.  At first blush you think you could build a truck from the illustrations, but then when you really start looking at things you find lots of gaps.  However, they are so much better than nothing.  But if we can find better I'll put them up as well.

As for not understanding the base vs full part number issue, that's true of way too many people.  Which is a big reason I created that page.  Now we has some place to send them to.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not suggesting to find "better" exploded views.
Perhaps an annotation explaining to others that there may be differences from reality because they are generic.

I think Alex just didn't get that the drawing was generic and it didn't matter D44 or D44HD the base number is the same.
I only wanted to pinpoint the bearing he was asking about, and hoped he could grasp why it was listed as "right side only"

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/ball-joints-replacement-Dana-44-HD-PS-Axle-SHaft-tp140830p141147.html

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added the MPC section on "connectors", meaning the metal pins or terminals, and "sleeves", meaning the plastic shell that holds the pins to the page at Documentation/Electrical/Connectors and then the tab called "Connectors & Sleeves (Connector Shells)". And here's the section so you don't have to go look:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Too bad their listings don't include the appropriate Motorcraft pigtail, like a bunch of valves and switches/senders do.

Should help Goose, and I'm thankful that you always go this extra mile for us, Gary.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Someone might be able to piece the pigtail info together with those part numbers via the ID #'s on the connectors and the cross reference.  But it would be a real challenge.

Anyway, welcome.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not saying "someone should piece it together"
Just that other listings show the Motorcraft numbers.
But i guess Motorcraft don't sell the shells or pins alone and Ford doesn't have listings for the pigtails.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't think that you were suggesting that.  I was just saying that it would be quite a task as there are a lot of bits of info that don't connect easily - if at all.

One thing we might do is when we have our hands on a connector to report what the ID # is.  Then I could convert that to part number and update the MPC page.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
How many do you want??
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's start small, Bill.  I've already proven I cannot find all ID #'s in the cross ref as I can't find the one for Goose.  Close, but this ain't hand grenades, and any little change can be a completely different part.

So if you give me the ID #, # of terminals, color, and usage for a few then I'll attempt to find them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a new page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Frames.  On that page are the pages from the MPC that show what frames each truck takes.  Or, maybe I should say the part numbers for those frames.

So while there are no dimensions, you can determine what trucks use the same frame.  And to answer a question I've highlighted the part numbers for the F150's with 133" wheelbase.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A couple of updates.  First, Shaun/salans7 provided us with pictures of transmission and t-case linkages/shift levers.  So I put the t-case ones on a new tab at Documentation/Driveline/Transfer Cases.  And the transmission ones are on a new page at Documentation/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/Manual Transmission Shift Levers.

Second, today I scanned the Radiators section from the 1985 FSM and put it on the page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiators.  But now that I've done it I see that there's a lot of bleed-through from the other side of the page, so maybe I can re-scan it tomorrow.

And, as you'll see, I discovered an error in the specs.  It shows the torque spec for the 460's thermostat housing to be 23 - 28 lb-ft.  But the Engine section shows it to be 10 - 15 lb-ft, and at 15 Big Blue's got quite solid so I'm sure that's correct.  So I struck through the wrong numbers and entered the correct ones.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Had some time yesterday and today so I added some documentation:

Bronco Roof: There was a request for the bolt size that holds the Bronco's roof on so I added a page at Documentation/Body/Bronco Roof.  We may have the world's only "straight" copy of the roof illustration as all of the digital master parts catalogs I've ever seen have it crooked.  Whomever scanned the MPC in way back when messed that page up and apparently all of the MPCs you can buy are copies of that scan.

8.8" Traction-Lok: There was also a request for info on that rear axle & I discovered that we didn't have that section on the site.  Now we do at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Rear Axles & Differentials tab, the Instructions tab, the Ford 8.8" tab, and finally the Ford Traction-Lok tab.

Dana Limited-Slip Front Axle: While I was scanning the 8.8" info in I also scanned the section on the Dana Limited-Slip (yes, that's what it is called in the MPC) front axle section.  It is at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials and then the Front Axles tab, the Instructions tab, the Dana 44, 44HD, & D50 tab, and finally the Traction-Lok tab.  (I guess I fixed Ford's mistake.  )

1 ... 19202122