437 messages Options
12345 ... 22
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, Jonathan asked about black bumpers, among other things, so I added a page on both front and rear bumpers: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/bumpers.html. And I added a page on heaters for a guy on FTE: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/heaters.html. But, I don't have the part numbers on the heaters page, although I do on the bumpers page.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
OK, thank you, Gary, for the heater stuff.

In typical Ford fashion, I'm betting the rest of what the guy on FTE is looking for is documented in the AC section but we'll see what he says. ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Our new user, kristopherdb, asked about drive belts for the engine today.  So, we have a new page: Drive Belts.  It is nested in the Engines section in the nav menu to the left.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today I did more upgrading of several pages to help Google find them.  (Google can't tell what's in a picture, so needs words to describe the contents of the page.)  While doing that I looked at the Fastener page, and realized that it should be Fasteners & Illustrations since it also has many illustrations, so I changed it.  (Don't worry Chris, I did a redirect.)

I also added content to that page because I knew where good information was on the fastener finishes - Ford's Standard And Utility Parts Catalog.  The easy way was to just post screen-grabs of the two catalog pages, and I did that.  But, those pages are .... no fun to read.  Further, Google won't find their content since they are pictures of text.  So I created a PDF of that info and cleaned it up a bunch.  But, then I realized that Google won't find that content either, so I started creating a table which Google will be able to find.

I only got maybe 1/10th of the way done, but wanted to know what y'all think.  Will that table, the one at the top, be helpful?  Or, maybe I should ask, will it be helpful to people to find that information via a Google search?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
When and if I ever get a computer with an optical drive again, so I can look up these part numbers, the chart will be helpful in determining the finish.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, thanks. Sounds like it will be good to have.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I got the table done, so now Google will eventually find it and you'll be able to search for the suffix on the fasteners.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Added 12 vacuum routing diagrams for the 1984/85 302's.  Found a new source for them - the 1985 Car & Truck Engine/Emission Facts Book Summary.  It has a page for each calibration code that gives a lot of info.  Looks like this, although the files attached below are much more crisp.  MUCH!

And here's a 4-54R-R12.jpg.  And 4-54R-R12.pdf.

Now to figure out where to use these......

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added a number of front suspension illustrations a couple of days ago, and then finished out today by adding the bushing info Jim wanted: Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension.  I know it isn't nearly complete, but it turns out to be a ginormous task to add all of the part numbers due to the number of tables involved - see the discussion here in WHYDTYTT?  In fact, I think I'll add that verbiage to that page to 'splain why all of the part numbers aren't there.  

Plus, I upgraded the Bullnose FAQ's page thanks to some input from Rick/Fonzie.  I'd appreciate your review and further upgrade of that info as well.

And today I added a page on ignition modules: Electrical/Ignition Modules.  It shows which module (grommet color) was used with which truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Upgraded the Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/ZF5 page to include 6 ZF documents that can be downloaded.  Jonathan - This includes power flow illustrations that show which gears are used when, and it is complex.  

Added this page: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435, and it includes a 13-page copy from a Ford's factory shop manual.

And added this page: Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/T-19, and it also includes a 13-page copy from a Ford's factory shop manual.

In addition there were several changes on Specifications/Lubricant Specifications page, although that one is far, far from being done.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That is some great material Gary! Thanks! That ZF stuff is a bit boggling, but I will have to dig into it when I go to rebuild mine...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m thinking of putting the documentation onto the pages, at least for those documents that Weebly will actually put on the page. So a user could actually see the document before downloading it, and may not actually need to download it. Or could at least confirm that’s what he’s looking for.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Added the official Borg-Warner service manual for the BW1345 transfer case to the Driveline/Transfer Case page.  However, when I first pull up the page the "window" in which the manual is supposed to be is blank.  But, when I click on it the manual appears.  Is that the case for you?

And, I also changed the manuals on the transmission pages to be embedded PDF's so you can see them before downloading.  But, you can still download them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ford's transmission application pages are a bit of a dog's breakfast, with the transmission types and even the vehicles themselves scattered hither and yon such that it is hard to tell what was used in which vehicle.  

So I converted them to a spreadsheet and then sorted it by transmission, then by model, and then by year.  And then I placed each of those on their own tab on the Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions page.  

Please see what you think.  I'm not sure how helpful that is, but it is easy to see what vehicles had the ZF.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary,
your list makes it a lot easier to figure out which gearbox came in which truck.

Of course it's hard to tell what may have happened in the past 30+ years, and if the tag isn't there...

I don't know much about rugs and clarkes,  but some basic identifiers are that the NP has an aluminum top,  the T-18 has PTO on the passenger side only where the T-19 has a window on both sides of the case.

I know some people find the NP gearbox desirable because of the super low 1st gear but few seem to realize the 460 4x4 T-19 is 6.32:1 *and* synchro 1st, which the other two do not have.

Is there any chart that shows the various ratios?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - Thanks for checking them out.

As for descriptions, maybe I should include yours and add whatever we can find for the Rug Rats. 😉

And the T-19 does have a really low 1st - I got out and let Big Blue idle and pull down the sign at church. 🤡

I’ll check for such a chart.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Added another page today: Interior/Sill Plates.

And I didn't find a gear ratio chart for the transmissions in the catalog.  Perhaps someone can on-line?

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
And I didn't find a gear ratio chart for the transmissions in the catalog.  Perhaps someone can on-line?
Gary, what about this? https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19/
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hush my mouth.

It seems that Jeep T-18's have a drivers side PTO.
I wonder if their transfer case is passenger side drop?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - I need to look at that chart.  Sorry that I haven't.

As for what I did do today, I took the opportunity to "play" on the website.  You see, I've been on a two-week road trip of 10 states and 3000 miles, and couldn't work on it while gone - as discussed elsewhere.

But, I have had an opportunity to watch the search statistics for the site, meaning the number of times that Google pointed people to this site to answer their query.  And, it is important to me that people can find this site so all the work that is being done gets used.  I've posted a screenshot, below, of the stats for the last 28 days as of today.  I realize you can't easily read it, so I'll point out some of the more significant things.

First, 29 people were pointed to the site by Google yesterday alone, and the average position in the search results was 13, which means that on the average we were on Paul Harvey's Page 2.  

The thing that Google usually points our way is the towing capacity of these trucks, and the usual position in the search results is #2!  And, in the last 28 days 39 people have followed Google's suggestion and clicked on the link.  

So, what is pulling the average result down?  Two things: Fuel Vapor Separator, which averages position 9.8, and Motorcraft 2150, which averages 18.6.  Given that, today I addressed the fuel vapor separator portion of the problem.  And, I discovered that the TSB to which it used to refer is no longer applicable since it was replaced in 1983.    So, I found the newer TSB and added it to the site: Stalls/No Start/Hesitation/Stumble.  As it turns out, it wasn't just the 460's that got the in-tank pump and the vapor separator, as the 351M/400's got the kit outlined in the TSB.  In fact, the only 460 that got it was in an E-series van.  

Anyway, we now have another TSB and a corrected page on the fuel vapor separator.

12345 ... 22