437 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 22
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Noah Garay, from Facebook, sent me the installations instructions for the Warn front bumper that is on Big Blue.  I added it to the Exterior/Bumpers page.

Thanks, Noah!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I revised things a bit.  Discovered I had both a Rear Axles page as well as a Differentials page.  There is now one page: Driveline/Axles & Differentials and it has the info from both of those pages.  And those pages have been deleted, and a redirect to the new page created so if someone had the old ones bookmarked they'll still find the info.

I'm not really done with this new page, but it is an improvement - I think.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I added a page on switches: Electrical/Switches.  It isn't done, but it is at least started.  Please take a look and let me know what switches I'm missing.

And, note that there are 3 different fog/road lamp switches!  I wonder if we've looked for all three of those?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Had someone ask me for info on the engine compartment light, including the retainers for the wire loom.  Check this out: Underhood/Engine Compartment Light.  

And, with the permission of our new member, Snow Monkey, I added his timing instructions to the IDI page: Engines/IDI Diesel.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
You can embed this link on that page if you want:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Steve.  Done.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Also, I added a page for dome and cargo lamp info: Electrical/Lighting/Dome and Cargo Lamps.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put a ton of info on today regarding front axles. Covers all Bullnose F-Series and Bronco 4x4 front axles: Driveline/Axles & Differentials.

It is a complex issue to work through, but the info is there - for the original axle on the truck.

Also, I used several different methods of placing the parts list info on there, and I'd like feedback as to which list you like best.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
The Dana website was the source for the list of BOMs in this caption:

This is the link to the Dana (Axle Expert) site:
https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx (FIXED)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Man, that's a lot of info.!

I spent more time in 30.4 as that is where my truck axle is. After looking through them all, I liked 30.4 the best, I think.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - The Dana site must be down as that link doesn't load.  I'll try again in the morning.

Grumpin:

The 30.1 tabs, both A-M and N-Z, have screen grabs in jpg of closeups of the master parts catalog.
 I was zoomed in at 200% and I had to take a bunch of grabs to get all of the info.

The 30.3 tabs:

- A-Z is a high res png file that is much smaller than a jpg, but doesn't have the "cleaness" that the 30.1's do, in my estimation

- AA-AZ and BA-BZ are pdf's inserted using SCRIBD.  Pretty easy to do on my end and comes out quite crisp and clean for the user.  But you sometimes have to move the cursor in the box to initially get the display to pop us, and it is funky to open a new page and really zoom in.

- CA-CZ is a pdf via my Google drive and is embedded on the page.  It seems easier to use to me as it always comes up immediately and you can zoom to your heart's content by popping the page out into a new browser page.  This is, like SCRIBD easy and clean to do.

30.4 tabs are lower res png's.  Fairly easy to do but not as crisp, in my opinion as the higher res ones, and not close to the pdf's.

So, I was really wondering what y'all thought about the various methods.  The pdf approach is easiest and seems quite clean and readable - to me.  The png's are easier than the zoomed in screen grabs, but aren't as clean and clear.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
OK, thanks Gary, that helps me to see what you're looking for.

First, I'm not completely tech savvy, but not too bad. The pages that took a scroll down to load, I thought it was me being impatient! Don't like those as much.

The 30.3 CA-CZ, the PDF, I like that because as you said you can pop it out and zoom and what not. It is also clear to me, as in focused, easier to read.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That being the case, please check out 30.3 AA-AZ and BA-BZ as opposed to CA-CZ.  I've now changed those two to embedding the pdf's from my One Drive account, and CA-CZ is embedded from my Google Drive, so they are slightly different.

I think I like the One Drive better from my standpoint as it is easier - and because I have more storage on the One Drive than the Google Drive.  So, if it works for y'all then that's the way I'll go in future.

Another advantage is that when you open it in another page you have several options, including one to find things in the document.  The Google approach has the function, but it isn't as easily found.  And, the Google approach allows you to zoom in further, although I'm not sure that's needed.

Anyway, input please!

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The Dana site must be down as that link doesn't load.
No, they just changed the URL since the last time I used it.
https://www.expert.dana.com/expertforms/demenu.aspx
Now, I have to go update the links in a few of my captions...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve I'll explore the Dana site and see what I can find.  Thanks.

Also, we now have a Literature/Miscellaneous page, which then links to the Centurion page.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, there is/was another company that also did some nice work, Centaurus I believe, they are the ones that did the 1996 I got the interior out of.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you find their literature I'd be happy to put it up as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today I added info on how to properly adjust the brake master cylinder push rod to the Brakes page (Driveline/Brakes).  Go to the Master Cyl's & Boosters tab and then the Push Rod Adjustment tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've added two Technical Service Bulletins to the website today:

Brake Ride Height Proportioning Valve

Brake Noise

The first one discusses the rear proportioning valve and issues that can occur with changes to the suspension, but it may not help you, Jan.  There's another, earlier, TSB that deals with that valve, but I can't find it.

And, I added a portion of the section from the 1985 factory shop manual that deals with alignment.  It includes the alignment specs: Suspension & Steering/Alignment.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I also added a page on dimensions and weights (Specifications/Dimensions and Weights).  This was in order to try to answer the multiple questions about ride height.

1 ... 567891011 ... 22