Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
12345678 ... 27
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You found it?  Cool!  

And, 'cause you asked and I didn't already have the info on the website, I've upgraded the Driveline/Transfer Case page to include the NP208 drawing and parts lists.  See what you think?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Gary Lewis wrote
You found it?  Cool!  

And, 'cause you asked and I didn't already have the info on the website, I've upgraded the Driveline/Transfer Case page to include the NP208 drawing and parts lists.  See what you think?
Wow! That is nice to have available! Thanks Gary!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome.  Seems like a nice package.  Almost everything you could want about the NP208.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Very nice compilation of info on the NP208! I found the spring on eBay.
Thanks Gary for loading that info. It makes it so much more convenient to look stuff up from my phone when I am at the parts store and trying to explain things (especially if I haven't taken the part off to take it in and show them!)
Plus I am sure it will come in handy when reassembly calls!  🙃
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad it works.  So I used the NP208 page as a model and upgraded the BW1345 documentation on the Driveline/Transfer Case page.  But in the case of the 1345, we have both Ford's rebuild instructions, but also Borg-Warner's repair manual.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
SUCCESS!

Thanks again Gary for the part number! I didn't expect it for another week but since it came today, I went ahead and put everything back together. It took 3 tries, but I think it is back together the way it came apart. We will see. Now just have to finish prepping and painting the housings so I can get all this back together!!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Side note here on a small trick I figured out for painting bolts:

Grab a strip magnet:

Cover it unless you want to get paint all over it.

Set your bolts up and paint away!

They stay put even if you bump or tilt them. 👍🏼
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I will say though, on the tear down of the T case, I didn't realize how the needle bearings went in or came out and when I pulled the one shaft out they all went everywhere... I put them all back in one by one, (all 120 of them) after cleaning them all but boy what a pain!

**If you are going to take one of these apart, BE CAREFUL and look at the diagrams on the transfer cases that Gary has loaded on this site!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!!  Glad the info helped and that you got the spring quickly.

The t-case looks good.  I've not attempted one of those, but I've done manual transmissions so perhaps I could.  However, 120 needle bearings does sound like a pain.  Glad you found them all.

And the strip magnet is a good idea.  Thanks for sharing.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I'm thinking if you can manage a transmission, a T-case would be walk in the park!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe so.  But the last time I needed a t-case rebuilt I was knee-deep in other alligators.  So I farmed it out and saved a lot of time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Progress to date: I would really love to get all this installed back in this weekend and fire it up again to continue the quest for leaks...

I have no idea if these casting marks are of any value or interest for folks but they are documented none-the-less.

Finished Tcase turned out well I thought:

Trying to get the belly in better shape to be a background for the newly reconditioned gear.

Transfer case shift linkage.

Since I don't have the budget for new front end trim I think I'm going to blast it all and go with Graphite Gray.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  I like the little details, like the oil level and NP emblem in black.  Things look really good!  

On the headlight doors, what media do you use at what pressure on plastic?  I ask because I messed up when I used coal slag on a door panel as whatever pressure I used embedded some of the slag in the plastic.  I realize that the headlight doors are harder plastic, but I'm just trying to learn.

And will you do the grille and the upper and lower trim pieces as well?  I'm thinking of doing those pieces in black for Big Blue some day to go with the to-be rear bumper, step bars, and maybe a revised front bumper.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Gary, I am also using Black Beauty (cheap coal slag). I am running at about 90psi since I have been doing so much heavy blasting on frame parts.

However, I am just holding about 6" back from the plastic and am using sweeping motions to ensure I don't damage the plastic. Since these are junk yard parts, I don't mind if they don't end up perfect, but I think I am really going to like the finished product.

I do plan on painting the bezels, top & bottom rails and the Grille all the same Graphite color.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I was curious if anyone would notice the detailing.  Glad you liked it!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Well it's in but MAN, did it come out a lot easier than it went back in!! OYE!!!

Debating the need to reinstall the factory heat shield that was bolted to the passenger side of the T case. It won't have cats again, so I am thinking I could get by without it. Anyone have any thoughts otherwise?

Next is driveshafts, both shift linkages, and the various electrical and vacuum components. Sure was hoping to get to fire her up this weekend but just ran out of time. Maybe next weekend, Lord willing.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The harder plastic may be fine with the hard media, but I switch to walnut hulls for plastic after that experience.

Glad you got it back in.  As for the heat shield, I don't think you'll need it.

And, "the Lord willing" is the right attitude.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Amen brother.

Gary, I am going to try and get some undercarriage painting done these next few days and try to fire it up over the weekend, but I would love to get my doors adjusted better in that whole process. Any ideas, tips, videos on how to adjust these doors?

They look overly simple which is great until you need to adjust them... The biggest issue I have is that the driver's door will only latch half way when closed (even slammed) and won't fully latch unless I push pretty hard as I slam it shut. (All original weather stripping too so no such back there) Any thoughts on how to best go about adjusting them to close properly?
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are two adjustments regarding the door - how the door fits in the opening of the cab, and how deeply it latches into the opening.

The way it fits into the opening, meaning how much clearance there is around it and if that clearance is uniform, is adjusted with the bolts that go into the hinges.  And the way I've done that is to open the door slightly, support it with a jack, loosen the bolts slightly, raise or lower the jack, and then re-tighten the bolts.

And the depth of the latching is adjusted by loosening the striker bolt, moving it up/down or in/out, and tightening it up.  And it sounds like this is the adjustment you need.  So just loosen the striker, slide it out a bit, and tighten it back down.

However, there's always the question of whether the hinges are worn.  If so the door will move fairly easily up and down, and you really should replace the pivot in them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Excellent. I think I may just need to adjust the strike bolt then. The door fits quite well in the opening and the hinges feel pretty tight, bushing wise.

One last question for the day and I promise I'll leave you alone 😉

Do you happen to have a parts breakdown of the shifting linkage for the manual NP208 transfer case? I am thinking I need a nylon bushing between where the linkage bolts to the housing but my memory is getting sketchy since it was a month ago when I pulled it out... 🙃
Jamie Helmick
12345678 ... 27