Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 27
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll have to browse the catalog, but can't get to it for a bit.  However, if I don't get back w/you later today please rattle my cage.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
Ok, I think I have what you are looking for: Driveline/Transfer Cases and the Linkage tab.  Check it out and let me know if that is what you need.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Yes! This is perfect!!
<But man I do feel bad... Was that there all along?>
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Tonight's progress:

This product has been awful handy for taming the rust of a northern truck!

Here are a few shots of the body. One under the front seat:

One under the bed area:

I can't even begin to count the hours of trying to tame the rust... And the underbody doesn't even look that great...

Hoping to start filling him up with some fluids to prep for another fire up! Hoping these will help a bit. (At least for the rear end and T-case.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, no it wasn't there all along.  When you asked I looked and realized it was missing, so added it.  That's a service I provide members of this forum.  And, once it is there it'll be available from no on so everyone, including me, can use it.  

And the Corroseal looks good.  It says it is a primer, but if it is like POR15 it really doesn't need a top coat if it isn't subjected to UV light.  So I'm assuming you will use it that way?

On the pumps, I've used the quart one with an extension hose on it in bigger bottles and it works quite well.  Its the way to go for filling transmissions, t-cases, and rear diffs.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Progress Report.

Wanted to start getting things back together and really hate when these door skins disintegrate in the sun. So, I am going to attempt something I have never done before. Sand down and paint my inner door skins. However, I am not having much luck finding the right color.

TSP for degreasing after all the prep. And the Duplicolor products seem to be very highly recommended. Please weigh in if you have used anything else and how it performed.

Here is a sample of the color. You can see how far off it is:

I thought I would pull the fabric portion and steam them to brighten them up but it made very little noticeable difference.

TALK ABOUT A ROOKIE MISTAKE...
I can't believe I didn't double check both mating surfaces!
SO, needless to say, when I filled the T-case, I had more than a "small" leak. 🙄

So let me just tell you how excited I was to try and get the Bronco fired up today.
However, after I had to reseal the rear output shaft housing on the T-case, I was getting ready to put the fill tube on the transmission to fill it and fire everything up, the sponge I stuffed in that hole while painting decided to fall down inside the tranny! 😣
Sooooo, I spent o lot of my time REDOING work… so frustrating.

I did at least get the T-case finished, installed both driveshafts, put the rear shocks on, fixed the door bushings (man did I figure out an awesome fix I will share in a few), got the fuel lines and tranny cooler lines tightened, and the rear diff filled.

Home made door bushing:

Even though the goal was to fire Ferdinand up today and check for that coolant leak with UV dye… That will have to wait till tomorrow. I usually wait till after evening worship to tinker, but I am so ready get this thing on the road I am going to have to tinker between services!

I had to shut it down early tonight. That sponge falling in the Tranny this evening was the last straw! 🙃
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary! I was thinking I missed the T-Case linkage somehow and I didn't browse the site deep enough. (BTW, the breakdown of the grille parts is where I am camping out right now, trying to get all that back together)

The pumps did work really well for the transmission fluid, but not too hot with the Gear Oil. Not sure what happened there?

The pictures of the underbelly were after a single coat of gloss black Rustoleum Professional over the cured Corroseal. (I didn't want to mislead anyone there).

I haven't used POR15 yet, but I am thinking I will likely have an excuse to try it before this project is over
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You had your issues, that's for sure.

On the interior paint, I've used SEM with good luck.  I'm not saying it beats the others, but I can say that they will mix the proper colors to match our trucks.  And yes, the proper colors have to be mixed for many of our trucks, but the info is here: Specifications/Interior/Interior Paint.

Glad you got the t-case sealed.  But the sponge must have been a real bummer.  Sorry.  

As for working on things today, I usually get a bit done between services, but probably not today.  We have a luncheon after services this morning and then services this evening are at a retirement home at 4:00.  And in between I have to prepare a lesson and my wife and I have to make 2 or 3 dozen sandwiches.  Maybe a nap?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Afternoon Gary.

Good to hear of a brother with an active faith! (Js 2:14-17) 👍🏼

I was browsing to get some info on my interior paint code since my Bronco was manufactured in 09/84 and I am finding some rather conflicting info. to say the least.

But I happen to stumble upon a Forum I was a member of years ago... FTE, and guess who I saw posting in a thread about interior paint codes? "THOU ART THE MAN!" (In a good way though)

Whenever you get a minute, would you be able to look up what the interior paint code is for Ferdinand?
The exterior color is 1C (Black). Nice and simple. But this interior is maybe: tan, Desert Tan, Medium Desert Tan, Light Desert Tan, Camel, Saddle... 🙃 You get the picture.

Anyway, any help and guidance would be most appreciated. Hope you've had a good day so far.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There are several of us on here with active faith.  

As for the interior color, go to the certification label decoder and you will see Body on the bottom line.  Click that blue box and it'll take you to the Body Codes page where you can decode what you find there.  I'll bet that the 2nd character will be "H", meaning tan, as shown in the table, since there was only one color like that for '85.  (You can use my table at the top or scroll waaaaaay down to the 1985 table from Ford.)

Then click on the link above the table to go to the Interior Paint page, where you'll see the same table but with an adder to the right showing that SEM calls that paint Desert Tan and the paint code is 3040.

Unfortunately any 4-digit code isn't off-the-shelf, so you'll have to find a SEM dealer that will mix it for you.  But there are supposed to be lots of them around, so hopefully that won't be difficult.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Very glad to hear of many here putting God first. One of the main reasons this Forum is so much better than so many others!

On the paint: Thanks for the info.! I should have just asked first because you produced in less than 12 hours (I think) what took me nearly 4 days to figure out... Sadly, the SEM folks say their closest "mixer" is about 1.5 hours a way and it would run me $40-$45 per aerosol can and I would have to but at least a quart of the mix and only about 4 oz. of paint go in a rattle can. My math tells me that would be 8 cans and at that cost, I can't do it. I did find a guy at a NAPA that seems to be relatively well known locally for mixing paint so I am giving him a crack at it. I just don't have the confidence it will be the same quality of paint like SEM that is specifically formulated for plastics and vinyl... I sure wish there was a better option.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
On another note, I am getting ready to fire the bronco up tonight but I had two questions.

1 - Any idea what size bolts are used for where the transmission shift linkage bolts to the housing of the transmission? I had all these in little bins and labeled, but these lost sheep evidently didn't make it.I did "light a candle and sweep the house" but they didn't turn up. I'm sure I'll find them once the project is over. 🙃

2 - I am leaking some fluid out of where the neutral safety switch bolts on. It seems to be coming out of where the shaft goes into the housing. Man, I sure hope this can be remedied from outside the transmission. If I have to pull that thing one more time I'll go crazy!! I just don't want ANY leaks on this thing and I'm telling you I'm about to rename this project for all the leaks I've had!!! 😣

Any help is always appreciated. Have a good day all!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yipes, that would be 'spensive!  Hopefully the NAPA guy can mix it to match.  Perhaps you can get the formula if he does?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
This post was updated on .
Not a bad suggestion for sure!

He is about 45 minutes away but is working everything through the Napa about 20 minutes away so that helps!

I am anxious to see what he comes up with for sure!

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Which bolt(s) do you mean?  Maybe they aren't in this view?

And 7B498 is the seal, but I will have to look to see how it comes out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand

The bolts that go in here to mount the little arm that hold all the linkage, that's coming down from the shifter, in place for its pivot points.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Couldn't find them in the catalog.    But I remembered that I have a C6 in the attic.  

They are 3/8-16, and the bottom hole is blind with just over 6 turns of threads, about 3/8".  So the bolt may be about 3/8" long, or maybe 1/2" if there is a lock washer and the bracket.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And here's the replacement procedure for seal D5AZ 7B498-A:

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ferdinand wrote
1 - Any idea what size bolts are used for where the transmission shift linkage bolts to the housing of the transmission? I had all these in little bins and labeled, but these lost sheep evidently didn't make it.I did "light a candle and sweep the house" but they didn't turn up. I'm sure I'll find them once the project is over. 🙃
Luke 15:8  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I forgot to mention that passage.  

1 ... 3456789 ... 27