Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
1 ... 24252627
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And I can't tell you from watching the video, or from your test, that the column is not the problem.  Big Blue's ignition switch rod moved, just not far enough at all times.  Some times it worked fine and other times it didn't.  So I don't know that your test is conclusive.

As for the switch, here's a page from the '85 EVTM.  Does that help?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I would look at the 'start' diagrams in the '85 EVTM as well.

You can see where the jumpered clutch switch connector should be, and the location of the NSS connector on the frame, at the crossmember as well
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
Thanks Jim & Gary.

I'll be the first to admit, I am NOT the greatest at reading wiring diagrams but this is very good intel. I have read over all this before but I am going to go back through it again. That switch diagram on the larger wiring digram I could never really figure out but that diagnostic chart in the EVTM is finally giving me some clarity on how that is supposed to function.

I put a brand new NSS when I rebuilt everything and it had no real problems with starting or anything but admittedly it would start in other positions than park, so I could tell something wasn't quite right. I will go back through it as well tonight.

Jim, I will attempt that jumper trick and see if that helps.

I tested my switch against the new one at Advance and although it was not a proper test, what I did try to test gave me the same results with both switches. Also, on another note, the aftermarket switch did not seem to have any spring tension in the forward most (start) position like my original. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I didn't buy the new one but they said they will keep it in inventory if I need it later.

Gary, I think I figured out the Youtube piece. Thanks for the guidance. It has been too long since I put one in! 🙃 I know the video was not great but I needed another hand to get a better angle (and didn't have one).

Thanks very much for the timely replies. I have to strike while the iron is hot with this because I have a little more of a window tonight but who knows when I'll be able to come back to it 🤪

Onward!
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
1 ... 24252627