Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
1234567 ... 27
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you have either a leak at the intake/head interface or the head/block interface.  And the intake/head is the most likely as it isn't all that hard to get the intake on at an angle.  Been there, done that.  

The head will sit down correctly on the block, but even with guide bolts it is possible to get the intake cocked a little bit, and that will cause a leak.  So, that's my bet.

And when it leaks there it runs down the head/block interface until it can cover over the back of the block and into the bell housing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks Gary. At this point I am going to assume a rock solid engine shop's work is far superior to mine and I'm going with redoing the intake. HOWEVER, I still can't understand how that leak (which was undetectable while running as seen in the one video) is the culprit and supplying as much coolant as was present at the bottom of the bell housing. 🤔
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
Tonight's progress (9.25.18)

I found some rather odd bumps on the housing so I decided to try and get them off.

Man! did this thing become my new favorite in about 2 minutes!

The 80 grit flap wheel was a bit aggressive but it worked really well taking the material down quickly.

I decided to even take down some of the seams in the case from the mold.

I don't need it to be perfect but any seam I can get smooth so the paint has a better shot at adhering I'm going for it.

Anyone have any favorite tools / brushes / wire wheels they recommend for getting in the "nooks & crannies"?
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't explain the volume of coolant, but perhaps it was due to things getting hot and expanding?

On the tranny and t-case, I use nylon, brass, and stainless steel brushes in a toothbrush size for things like that.  I spray the tranny down with brake cleaner until I have it pretty clean, and then spray an area and brush.  Spray and brush.  Then, when I think I'm done I spray it all down again.

But, one issue you'll have is the table you have it resting on.  I've used my shop crane to dangle them or an engine stand to bolt them to, and then placed a large drip pan under them with paper towels in it to keep the drips from spattering.  Can you run a nut/bolt arrangement in the mounting holes and get the tranny up off the table?  And then put a large drip pan under the bolts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Well the week was busy with our 55th annual Barnesville Pumpkin Festival but I tried to get back at it tonight. A little progress to report...

Here are a few of the markings that some may be interested in:

Second Band Servo Housing:

Spent many hours on degreaser, wire wheels, and thinner!
I used the Rustoleum Metal Etch primer.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That look amazing!  Very well done.  It is going to be a shame to hide that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
Wow!  That look amazing!  Very well done.  It is going to be a shame to hide that.
I know it won't be so easy to see behind the slightly taller 351, but I've had a few people comment on my freshly painted M5OD behind my little 302. You can see it back there if you're looking around the engine bay;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ferdinand wrote
I used the Rustoleum Metal Etch primer.
I used Cast Aluminum engine paint on my 5spd and it really brightened it up. Like Gary says though, what a sin to hide it under the belly of the truck...lol. Still...what it really does is make everything very easy to work on, and it makes leaks very visible (if you have any).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks Rembrant! I saw this thread and that pic of your transmission and I couldn't believe how good that turned out!! I kept looking for that picture because I wanted to use that color paint, but couldn't find it again. I decided to go with a flat gray color with a satin clear, which I now regret seeing how awesome that cast color looks!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Rembrant
And yes, the best benefit is leak detection... which happens to be whipping my tail on the 351W!! 😣
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Rembrant
BTW, what brand of paint and where did you find the cast aluminum color?
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Goo afternoon guys!

Sorry for the sabbatical...
Hope everyone is having some success with their onions! 😉

Any T Case gurus out there?

2 questions:
1 - what is your best guess as to where this thing was leaking.
2 - While wrestling this thing around cleaning, it sounds as if there is something inside rattling around. Any ideas what it could be? I have carefully taped off every opening during cleaning and I took the bearing retainer off (rear output side), to see if I could see anything down in there and I could not.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not an expert, by any stretch.  But if you are tearing into it the factory rebuild info and illustrations are here: Driveline/Transfer Cases and the NP208 tab.

The leak might have been the output seal.  A leak there would run down the extension and then could run down the rear of the case since it sits at an angle.

As for the noise, there are nylon "fingers" that fit in the end of the shift yoke's arms.  They wear and break off, so you might hear one of them rattling around.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks Gary. I think I am going to at least split the case halves tonight and see if I can get a peek at those shifting forks. What sounds loose and moving around doesn't seem like it would be anything but metal, my curiosity is now peaked. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the helpful links!

BTW, noticed a local junkyard has a 400m for sale for $100. (I am sure it would need a total rebuild)  I wonder if it is worth picking up? I thought about someday building a 460 to drop in Ferdinand but for as much trouble as I am having with this 351W I may bow out... 🙃
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the noise, there are nylon "fingers" that fit in the end of the shift yoke's arms.  They wear and break off, so you might hear one of them rattling around.
Gary, are these what you are describing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-UP-NOS-Ford-Truck-4-Wheel-Drive-Transfer-Case-Shift-Fork-Inserts/332163942996?hash=item4d56838a54:g:1gMAAOSwuLZY1VQh:sc:USPSFirstClass!40475!US!-1
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those do look to be them: PAD (SHIFT FORK INSERT).

And, a 400 for $100 is pretty good.  The cranks are getting harder to find, and they and the right pistons are all you need to turn a 351M into a 400.  That's a pretty cheap stroker kit.

Or, just build up that 400.  Tim Meyer has all the parts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
H E L P ‼️

Man did this escalate quickly...

Found what was rattling around in the T Case:

Anyone know where I can find one of these???

I am at a total loss on a supplier 🙃

I am sure hoping I can find the spring and that I don't have to buy some "complete assembly" That includes half the gears in the case!! 😳
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Thanks for the suggestion and the link!!! I sure hope we can find this spring now 🤞🏼
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would go to my local 4WD place.  Here in Tulsa we have at least two that specialize in such parts.  So I would take the illustration and the part to them and I'd bet they would have one - perhaps one from a broken transfer case.

Or, look for a new one.  It is part number E3TZ 7D126-B and is 2 5/64" free lenqth—4 coils.  Here's the Ford illustration and #'s for the t-case:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Man what excellent timing Gary!!

I have one on order. Thanks a million‼️
Jamie Helmick
1234567 ... 27