Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
523 messages Options
12345 ... 27
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ferdinand - '85 Bronco 351W XLT "Phoenix" rebuild project...

Ferdinand
YES! Gsmblue
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Ferdinand
So somewhere shortly after reconditioning the rear end, I started on the brakes. Some brake work had recently been done so a few things were reusable.

Katie wanted to help once I had slipped with the brake tool and smashed my knuckles good and hard. We've all been there I'm sure! Took a small walk around the garage before trying again.
Jamie Helmick
'85 Bronco 351W HO, C6, 4X4, Full rebuild @ 51k original miles (fire), Edelbrock air gap intake & 600 cfm carb. w/elec. choke. 4" RC lift w/35's. Check the Projects Page if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Has anyone used a reverse bleeder? I've read quite a bit about them and they seem to be the cat's meow. Especially since most of my work is solo, late at night.

I haven't used it yet, but I will let you know how it goes!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Wow, I can't believe I didn't take any pictures (that I can find anyway) of installing the lift. I would highly recommend Rough Country. Their quality is top notch and VERY affordable! I memory serves me correctly, I believe they operate out of TN so shipping was super fast as well.

I still can't believe I spent as much time as I did reconditioning and painting those old coil springs just to replace them a few months later, but I am so glad I did. I absolutely love the gray! Kinda makes me wish I would have painted the motor that same color but there is some significance to it being red so it's not all bad.
 I did also opt for the steering linkage drop and the extended stainless brake lines.

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
I do have a few questions I want to throw out there to the group tonight. (Even though I am sure most of you all will be enjoying the Swap Meet tomorrow.) Wish I could be there!

I am looking for some guidance as to what these are and what, if any, repercussions am I going to have by not reconnecting the ones I don't need. (I didn't replace any of the emissions controls)

Here are some pics of my mystery plugs:

The wiring above plugs into these:

I can't remember what this little bugger went to to save my soul! (Pic Above) It ran over to the passenger side with the wiring for the vacuum modules and the wires for the starting solenoid. It is light gray with a dashed white trace and it goes into a plug then out of the plug it is white w. solid black trace. I don't know if it goes to something critical or if it was part of the emissions components. Please weigh in if you have an idea!

Also: Any idea what kind of relays these are?
(they are located on the fire wall just to the lower right side of the brake booster as you look at it from the front.)

And lastly. Here are the remaining orphan plugs:

I'll try to get these rotated tomorrow. Losing steam. Have a good night gentlemen!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Ferdinand wrote
I do have a few questions I want to throw out there to the group tonight. (Even though I am sure most of you all will be enjoying the Swap Meet tomorrow.) Wish I could be there!

I am looking for some guidance as to what these are and what, if any, repercussions am I going to have by not reconnecting the ones I don't need. (I didn't replace any of the emissions controls)

Here are some pics of my mystery plugs:
Is that plug attached to that red wire coming off the coil? If so, it's not connected to anything. (At least it's not connected to anything on my '84 302). I assumed it was for test purposes.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Cool. Thanks Rembrant. There is a small one to the left of it too but it is different. It is all metal. Almost like it goes in another kind of plug? I am thinking these weren't connected initially. However, this part of the wiring harness is one of the pieces I have salvaged from an '86 Bronco at the local bone yard.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
This post was updated on .
Well I did go ahead and break in the cam today. I ran between 2250 and 2500 RPM for 20 minutes. I currently have the timing set at 10 degrees BTDC.

Here is a 40 second clip of it running:

I shot temps on the block and the heads and they were both between 175-180 degrees. So, I guess that is good. I was thinking it would be a bit hotter.

I have both the carb I am trying to tune and the timing I am trying to get set. So, I have a pretty fast idle at this point and need to start fine tuning once I find where my coolant leak came from today... 🙃
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
The engine sounds good.    Bummer on the coolant leak, but it may just be a hose.

On the stuff/connections/wires:

The plug: hard to tell 'cause I can't see the wire colors going into it.  But if it is red/light green it goes to the capacitor/condenser shown on Page 26 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/start--ignition.html

The wiring: I suspect that's the carb wiring since you said it plugs into the device in the next pic.  If so, it'll be the stuff shown on Page 53 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

The device E4UZ 9B982-AA is a carburetor bowl vent valve for a 1984 F/U-150 w/a 351W w/a 4bbl

The "little bugger" is associated with the choke heater as white/black would be that.  Again, shown on Page 53, but one wire goes to the alternator and another to the choke.  The relays are probably the choke relay and the 25 second timer.

Orphan plugs:

The green wire with a single connector is the under-hood light power source.  It just hangs in the breeze if you don't have one.

The big yellow wire beside it is probably the power feed to the trailering option, shown on Page 130 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option.html

Remaining orphan plugs: can't tell as I can't make out the wire colors.  Can you take a close-up pic for both of those?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks a million Gary for the leads on the wiring!!!

I will get close ups of the plugs with wire color here soon.

Bad news though on the coolant leak... Checked all hoses and fittings. All dry up front and on the sides. So, my attention turned to the rear of the block. Much to my sincere disappointment, my torque converter and flywheel are wet.

Man do I wish I would have taken a picture of the rear of the motor while it was on the hoist when putting it back in!!

I am stuck at this point facing pulling the transmission or the motor to inspect the rear of the block. I am leaning toward pulling the transmission since it never got pulled to begin with, but also because I could continue reassembling the front end and not have to take most everything back off the engine to pull it.

Do you have any thoughts about my current circumstances and decision tree?  Anyone else is free to weigh in as well. I was hopeful to have this thing road worthy in a few weeks but this is certainly going to shoot that plan right out of the water...
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I just looked through all the project pages and didn't see anything on a removal and reinstallation of a C6. Please let me know if you know you have something and I'll glad take time to review it before I tear into mine. I will likely start the process to pull it here in the next day or so. Should if it would be at all helpful I could start another project and title it "C6 Removal/Reinstallation" or something of that nature if you think that would be helpful?

I am by no means the photo-journalist you have in the other members in the forum but I can take a few pictures and share the experience if you think it would be helpful. I likely will regardless in the Ferdinand Project thread. I was just curious as to your input on doing it as a separate thread.

Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand

I am thinking the area shown by the arrow 3rd from the left (second green one from the left) is likely the culprits on the back of the block.

This pic is obviously way back in the beginning right after I pulled the motor. However, as I mentioned before, I do not have a pic of the rear of the block before I dropped it back in. You can bet I'll take a few once I get the transmission out!!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We don't have a how-to on removing and installing a C6, so please go for it.  

However, I don't remember any coolant plugs on the back of the 351W block.  Perhaps others will correct me if I'm wrong.  But if my memory is right, then you need to be looking elsewhere.

The intake manifold is a likely culprit to me.  There is coolant flowing through it at the very front and very back, so it could easily leak there and find its way down the back of the engine to where you are pointing.

Was your manifold new?  If not, they can easily pit at the interface with the head due to electrolysis, and it is possible that's why it is leaking - assuming it really is.

I think you can get a dye at the parts store that glows under UV light.  Put some of that in your coolant and then see from whence it comes.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Thanks Gary. What else could be causing fluid to leak down into the bell housing? It is a brand new intake.
This looks and feels like oil, but I know the bulk of what is leaking is coolant... what a mess!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
Also, in reference to that plug on the back of the block in the picture with the arrows, any idea what that is then if it is not a coolant plug?
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I believe those plugs are at the back of the oil galleries.  It is where they drilled forward through or along the lifters for the oil to flow.  And I believe there is a welsh plug at the back of the cam, where they bored the block for the cam bearings.

So you might have oil leaks and coolant leaks.  The intake doesn't always go down squarely.  Brandon and I got his on at a slight angle in spite of using guide pins, meaning long bolts with the heads cut off threaded into the heads to align the intake.  It had a coolant leak and we had to remove and re-install.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
BTW Gary,
I was tracking down the wiring info and I noticed on the reference you gave me citing "page 53" that link just takes me back to the projects page. I am thinking there is a little bit missing on the tail end of the link. Just let me know.   
Thanks again for all the info!!
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good catch.  It should be fixed now.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ferdinand
GOLD MINE! That EVTM is SOOOO helpful!! I was googling other options and it came back to that section on your site! I didn't even know Ford had something like that. What a resource.

Gary, your help and this site (the forum of guys and the resources) has made a tremendous improvement in the pace, quality, and confidence of my work and this project. My appreciation cannot be overstated. May God always bless your efforts in helping others.
Jamie Helmick
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the EVTM is absolutely the best thing for working on one of these trucks.  Followed by the master parts catalog, and then by this forum.  

Thanks!

12345 ... 27