F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
170 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

salans7
Glad you got the bed off without any damage to you or the bed Jonathan. When we unloaded my new cab from the trailer, one of the straps came off of the hook which sent the cab backwards while the engine crane went through the brand new windshield.  And that's why I have a hundred cracks in the windshield of my F350.  

Gary Lewis wrote
I fully understand about priorities, use of money, etc.  The COVID-19 virus and the impact it is, and will, have on the economy has already changed my priorities.  (And worrying about the kids has taken away some of my drive.)
Yep, my F350 is about to shutter down after the parts I already have on order come in because I can't see and can't predict the future of the economy. I think my job is probably safe, but being sent home early each day to save payroll may be a possibility. We find out tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You broke your NEW windshield????  

As for the job, here's hoping it'll be secure.  But I can understand stopping projects for a bit.

Having said that, there might be opportunities in the future to buy ones that others need out of.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but it may well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And why would you buy another project when you have so many in que?
It seems there's a Bird and a couple of French vehicles standing in the wings.

Me, I'm waiting for the deluge to stop so I can futz with my parking brakes and later dive into the D44.

Maybe Jonathan can just weld the center section of his 'new' radiator support into the water hauler, after fitting the IDI and Zf into the 450.

Getting the bed on shouldn't be much of a challenge after getting it off the pickup.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It was a generic thought, not for me specifically.  No, I do NOT need another project.  (Now, if I find a finished Bronco....)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Oh man 😭. Sorry to hear that Shaun... and hopefully your project will only experience a brief hold. Maybe it’s a good time for some sweat equity aspects of the project? I guess in my case water hauling can be classified under essential services... minus cosmetic preferences.

There may indeed be some very attractive deals on half finished projects or parked project cars as people fall on hard times and the demand is low. It will be a buyer’s market, but I count myself among those who will have to pass unless I land another good paying job that is stable. Hopefully I won’t be one of the ones forced to sell...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
You broke your NEW windshield????  

As for the job, here's hoping it'll be secure.  But I can understand stopping projects for a bit.

Having said that, there might be opportunities in the future to buy ones that others need out of.  I hope it doesn't come to that, but it may well.
It was a perfect windshield that seemed to have been replaced within the last few years prior to me acquiring the cab. Now, it's completely shattered.

Only other project I would be interested in is basically what Jonathan is building, a diesel powered flatbed F350 (4x4). But I REALLY need to finish the current truck so another truck is a long time away.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Ford F834 wrote
Oh man 😭. Sorry to hear that Shaun... and hopefully your project will only experience a brief hold. Maybe it’s a good time for some sweat equity aspects of the project? I guess in my case water hauling can be classified under essential services... minus cosmetic preferences.
There's definitely plenty of sweat equity needed for sure. But there's still so many things I need to purchase as well to do other things (sound deadening for the firewall, firewall brace, etc.) and it adds up quickly, hence why I'm erring on the side of caution. I have money in savings and four weeks worth of PTO, but I'm not a risk taker and have always been on the frugal side anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The half-finished projects I've seen over the years haven't been a good starting point for whatever I'd want.  And the "finished" ones haven't been done to my satisfaction - like the Bronco the guy wanted $10k for but with the tires he had on it the 3.50's needed to be changed so it would get out of its own way.  So you had to spend another $1k to re-gear or re-tire.

I have too many projects as it is.  But you young'uns might be able to pick up something that you can work on when times get good again.  Keep your eyes open.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
I have too many projects as it is.  But you young'uns might be able to pick up something that you can work on when times get good again.  Keep your eyes open.
I *might* have my eyes open for a 1980-1991 regular cab short bed 4x4 F150 as a replacement for my Ranger, provided the new truck runs well and doesn't get worse fuel mileage than my Ranger.  I have zero desire to own any Ford full-size pickup newer than 1996, so may as well go older since that's what I know best. Only reason I have a 2003 Ranger is because they are still VERY similar to the 87-96 trucks aside from the SLA Torsion bar suspension and are very easy to work on.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
It was a generic thought, not for me specifically.  No, I do NOT need another project.  (Now, if I find a finished Bronco....)
Maybe not "finished", but looks good and not too highly priced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-Bronco-XLT-4X4-302-V8-CALIFORNIA-RUST-FREE-VEHICLE-4WD/193387943372?hash=item2d06d1d5cc%3Ag%3AcekAAOSw6VVec9oR&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not a bad truck at all, but the bid is likely to go right on up.

I think it is way too early to be thinking about buying, although I just mentioned the idea to the love of my life and she said "How many old trucks do you want?"  To which I said "Maybe a Bronco."  And the "Oh" I got back could be taken as "That makes some sense because Bret wants one."  (It could also be taken as "If you want another hole in your head I'll oblige."  But I like my translation better and won't ask what she meant.)

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
As I have been known to say before, that Janey is a keeper!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
No progress to report... but something is bothering me.... I was looking through my pictures and I am seeing that this ‘95 cross member looks different than the IDI’s I have seen. The 460 mounted to a pair of raised mounts on the back side of the main cross bar. These are not there on IDI trucks. I am hoping these can come off and that the cross member itself will accept the IDI perches, but I’m not 100% on that. I am, however, 100% that the welded in plates used to mount the CTD will have to come out, and that will be a pain in the caboose.

This is the cross member and perches on my ‘86 F350 IDI:

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The 460 brackets should be bolted on.  I can see some of the bolts in the pics.  Big Blue's do and there are holes there in the frame and crossmember for them on the '95 front clip I got.

And I doubt those extra plates need to come out.  The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything.  And the IDI perches appear to sit right on top, so at the most you might have to grind a weld flat.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Jonathan, the holes are there for the diesel plates, so you're good to go. You just need to get rid of those plates that were welded in.

Gary Lewis wrote
And I doubt those extra plates need to come out.  The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything.  
That's incorrect, the plates are covering the holes you would use to access the motor mount studs. The plates need to go away. Luckily for Jonathan, the crossmember doesn't appear to be hacked up like the one on Big Blue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
Gary Lewis wrote
And I doubt those extra plates need to come out.  The IDI perches close off those hole anyway so you obviously don't reach through there for anything.  
That's incorrect, the plates are covering the holes you would use to access the motor mount studs. The plates need to go away. Luckily for Jonathan, the crossmember doesn't appear to be hacked up like the one on Big Blue.
Good point!  I sit corrected and chagrined.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary... it’s good to know the 460 brackets unbolt. I think mine may have some welds also, but probably not factory.

The plates won’t interfere with the perches themselves, but the motor mount bolts/nuts need to go there.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Not a bad truck at all, but the bid is likely to go right on up.

I think it is way too early to be thinking about buying, although I just mentioned the idea to the love of my life and she said "How many old trucks do you want?"  To which I said "Maybe a Bronco."  And the "Oh" I got back could be taken as "That makes some sense because Bret wants one."  (It could also be taken as "If you want another hole in your head I'll oblige."  But I like my translation better and won't ask what she meant.)
Sold for $6600:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Ford-Bronco-XLT-4X4-302-V8-CALIFORNIA-RUST-FREE-VEHICLE-4WD/193387943372?hash=item2d06d1d5cc%3Ag%3AcekAAOSw6VVec9oR&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That was a nice Bronco, and not a bad price.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Very small update... I got the aeronose core support welded up by a nice local Golden Valley man for $40. He took his time and did a nice job. He pulled the gaps together with a long pipe clamp and made it straight and solid. It’s amazing (and disappointing) how thin the metal is. All of the strength is in the profile. I also noticed a tear in the sheet metal on the passenger door near the wing window. I have no idea what happened there but wow, these things are like soda cans 😔.

I am still not 100% sure on how I want to proceed. I farmer rigged a battery and see that I have basic lights and horn, but I have no key, so I can’t check things with switched power. The under hood harness looks very unfamiliar, as well as modified for the cummins swap. What will take less time? Sorting out the ‘95 wiring and make it work with the IDI or the whole dash swap. Both are a little intimidating. Gary do you have any wire diagrams that might cover 1995? I particularly need details about the charging circuits and starter/ignition. I can go full manual on the glow plugs and injection pump functions if I have to.