170 messages Options
1234567 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, that’s what I’m thinking this truck “wants” to be based on the parts I have on hand. The ‘95 has crank windows, I was hoping I could simply swap on some crank window bricknose door panels? The donor has electric doors and they do not work. The Flagstaff/Prescott junkyards charge $26 for a door panel. I don’t know about the kingman yard, I have not asked and the stuff I’ve seen there is pretty rough. But it’s a detail I can fix later when I find some. I could try to make the electric doors work, but I don’t really want or need that. I would like to find a wrecker bumper for the reason you mentioned.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Jon,

Too little too late, I know, but this AZ E350 would have made a good water hauler? Kinda cool lookin', and nice deck on it too.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/flagstaff-1984-ford-f150-f250-f350-e350/7090538677.html

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Interesting rig! I almost want it for the bed, but it looks a bit short behind the wheels and I wouldn’t have a clue what to do with the rest. I’ve pulled an IDI out of a U-Haul van at a junkyard and I don’t think I would care to own an Econoline. I was just grateful that I didn’t have to put the engine back in 😖.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Another piece of the puzzle found... simple, basic, and at just over $200 out the door I can’t complain. It was built for a standard width truck frame, not CnC, so I will need some spacers or modify the attachment points but other than that it’s pretty well set. It was made for an 8’ bed wheelbase, and includes the fuel fillers. There were some kind of license stickers on it from Kauai county in Hawaii. Pineapple 🍍 hauler?!

I also found an Aeronose diesel core support. It is broken right where the gas one is cut... and on both sides. The bottom is a bit rusty as well, but I am confident I can work with it. That truck was a power stroke diesel, and didn’t really have anything else I could use.

There was also an Aeronose IDI (core support already gone), but the wiring was hacked to bits. Not just a cut or two, it was diced and minced almost as if to taunt me ha ha. The instrument cluster was also gone. I saw lots that I wanted, but I needed to stay focused.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nice score!  

I can't imagine what it cost to ship a truck from Hawaii, or why anyone would want to.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
That is an excellent score!  You couldn't build it for many times that.  And it looks very solid!  In fact, how are you going to unload and handle it?

As for the core support, what will you have to do to fix it?

Hacked wiring?  I thought I had two good wiring harnii on the shelf, and as I've started trying to pull wires out of them I've discovered all sorts of hacks.  Today I found several instances of wires twisted together and then taped over.  Not even a wire nut!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
With stake pockets like that it will be simple to have easily removable cradles or cribbing (dunnage) to keep your tank in place.
Then you could have optional 'sides' to make it more of a bed, or stake sides for light and bulky loads.

Most I see around here use 14" LVL  and you have almost the depth of a regular pickup.
But, man, that stuff is heavy!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks gentlemen. The price was phenomenal, although it also required about 25 gallons of gas to go get it. Main thing is that it’s the right size and I don’t need to spend any more time and energy figuring out that problem.

Gary, it is indeed *very heavy... and unloading it is going to be a problem. I am going to attempt grappling it with a tow chain and engine hoist. I’m sure it will be memorable 😬.

The core support needs welded, and perhaps a bit of reinforcement added. The rust isn’t too terrible, I just need to clean it up and paint it so it does not get any worse. It’s not restoration grade, but for a work truck it will get the job done. Again, I got it mostly because I think it is a little less work than switching the whole front end, and I won’t have to paint body panels (even if it’s just rattle can) or live with a calico colored truck. I need some plastic grille parts but that’s not hard to find here in the junkyards.

I’ve got one more week of employment and then my plant shuts down, and it looks like I may have some down time. Hopefully I can use some of it to make some progress with this truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So, if you're not going Bricknose, what are you doing for instrumentation?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So, if you're not going Bricknose, what are you doing for instrumentation?
I am not totally sure yet. I may still do the bricknose dash and wiring, or I may try and work with what’s there... I bought the Aero core support as an option because I thought it might save me a bit of time and effort compared changing the whole front clip and cutting down the frame horns etc., I am trying to take the path of least resistance.

One thing I did learn from looking at the hacked up wiring on the Aeronose IDI is that there was still an amazing amount of wire for as simple as the engine is. That generation of truck just has a lot going on electrically that the older ones don’t. It still had a large fuse and relay box under the hood, in addition to the fuse panel in the dash. The wire loom is more than twice what you see in the bullnose diesels. The more I see of the Aeronose trucks the less I like them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, the flatbed looks like one big piece of the puzzle solved!  

I would have thought the Brick was the easiest path.
Given that you have the entire donor, sans fenders and doors (or whatever it is that's rusted out)

Yes, you'd have to trim the frame horns, or clip the Brick and tack them on the 450.

Do you have title for the 250 cab?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, I don’t have a title for the bricknose donor, and it is a Supercab.

Aesthetically I would prefer Bricknose over Aeronose, both the dash/interior and the front sheet metal. But I can’t deny that switching out just the core support is a lot easier. It is probably a combination of current events with the virus pandemic and my job that ends in 5 more days... but I find myself lowering my sights on this project, for lack of better words. Or maybe revised priorities? There are things I would like to do with this truck, but it’s not feeling like the right time with respect to finances and time management. I should have bought a running, useable truck... but there weren’t any when I was looking.

Tonight I unloaded the flatbed. I said that it would probably be memorable, and it did not disappoint 😬. I didn’t get hurt, and I didn’t damage anything, but it did take two hours... and it was very sketchy. I almost lost it several times. The problem with my plan is that picking up something so broad by a single chain lends itself to tipping and shifting. Add in uneven ground that is soft from recent rain and nothing cooperates. I am relieved that it’s over 😓. Fortunately when I go to put this onto the F450 it will not have to go up so high.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure there was a BIG sigh of relief when you got that onto the cribbing.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I heard the sigh from here but didn't know what it was!  

I think I see three different approaches: from back w/o jack stands; from back with jack stands; from side with jack stands.  And it was the latter that worked?

I fully understand about priorities, use of money, etc.  The COVID-19 virus and the impact it is, and will, have on the economy has already changed my priorities.  (And worrying about the kids has taken away some of my drive.)

So I can appreciate the shifting plans, for sure.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Y (And worrying about the kids has taken away some of my drive.)

So I can appreciate the shifting plans, for sure.
Once a parent, always a parent!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
Once a parent, always a parent!
Don't forget the grandparents.  And especially grandfathers, as grandmothers seem to get all the attention.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes, the sigh of relief as great indeed... and The photos show a series of steps, not multiple attempts. The flatbed was resting on 2x4’s bridging the box, plus the two main frame beams were sitting on the tailgate.

I had to first lift the rear, then inch the truck forward bit by bit and get out in between and scoot the bed rearward on the 2x4’s. Eventually I drove out from under it far enough to lower the tailgate and remove it. Then I inched forward some more, lifted the back and inserted a double 2x4 fulcrum as far aft as I could. Then I lowered it, but I couldn’t get the drop down to contact the ground as I had hoped. So I had to settle for contact on jack stands while I moved the crane to lift the front. I lifted it far enough to drive out from under it then lowered it. That’s the simplistic version... note that with weight pivoting on the jack stands that the point of suspension in the front becomes an arc as you lower it, not straight up and down. The jack stands had to go in short order and I had to walk the bed backward as it went lower. It was a wobbly, teeter totter, side-shifting wild ride... as flat beds go I’m sure many are much heavier, but I’m still guessing this one may be north of 1,000 lbs? It’s stout, but it could have been worse.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I get the picture, completely.  Been there, done that with several things.  And before you got to it in the explanation I was thinking "those jack stands are going to kick out as he lowers it".  Yep, that arc is a bummer.

And working single-handed makes it difficult as it is really hard to lower the shop crane while holding the end of the bed/engine/load.  But, you don't trust anyone else to just barely crack the valve and not dump the whole thing on the ground as you are holding the end and the load just went from 50 lbs to 500 - and your toes are under it.  

Nope, never done anything like that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I’m not proud of it Gary... but we do what we have to I guess. Had I known how dicey this would be I might have tried something else, but once you start a plan you can’t always put it back. That’s where I was last night... nothing left to do but go forward. Well it’s done now, so on with the next steps. I’m half contemplating getting the service body free from the frame and advertising it as FREE... to whom ever wants to lift and remove it off my truck. It’s not in nice enough shape to be worth a lot and I’d just like it to be gone.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I understand, completely.  The engine was in the air but wouldn't go into the truck, so I had to change the connection to it, but it wouldn't go back on the engine stand, so I did some really shade-tree engineering and bolted the head of the stand to the engine and then used the arc of the shop crane to get as close as possible and ran an all-thread through the head and stand and sucked them together.  Oh, and I missed that I had to raise the shop crane on 2x4's to get the legs of the engine stand under the shop crane's legs.  Reuben Garrett Lucius Goldberg would have been proud.  

1234567 ... 9