Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: F-Superduty IDI water hauler build

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Terrapin brace:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Okay. So you can see that the smaller brace has only the vertical holes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Okay. So you can see that the smaller brace has only the vertical holes.
Ya. I still have one of those that I pulled out of my truck.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
IDK why people pull the smaller one to go through the headache of the big one.  😵
If the small one is installed in time the big one is unnecessary.

Go read the TSB's on both of them.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
IDK why people pull the smaller one to go through the headache of the big one.  😵

Go read the TSB's on both of them.
As one who just did that, I think I'm qualified to reply.  I'm going with a heavy duty clutch in Big Blue, so knew the pressure on the firewall would be going up.  Not knowing if the little brace, which hadn't been properly installed, would handle it I went with the larger brace.

In addition, Big Blue will be lifted as well as used off-road.  The lift means the steering column is going to get used to pull one's self in.  And the off-road bit means the firewall may be under additional and different stress than before.  So the large brace seemed prudent.

But, I will agree that it is a pain to install.  And one of the biggest problems was getting the cowl off so I could put the backing plate in.  But I got it off and the brace in, and I'm happy that I did it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The small one (properly installed, bolted through the tunnel) is really more than enough.

My truck now has 455,766.6 miles on it.
That pedal has been pushed many... many times.

I can't speak to having to pull yourself up on the steering wheel.
I thought that's what nerf bars are for??? 😂

The cab is a pretty stiff box mounted on rubber isolators.
I can see the mounts working harder when the truck is crossed up and the frame is flexing -a lot-

But the whole idea of 'needing to' use the patch "intended for servicing firewalls with severe tearing and delamination" (their words) is beyond me.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm sure the small one is fine if it was installed properly and in time. Mine was not.
I like the stronger/larger brace. It's in there now and I never have to think about it again, ever.

Now...as far as unnecessarily replacing or upgrading parts Jim....well, isn't that part of the whole hobby?

What else would we do?...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've already pulled myself both into the cab with the steering wheel as well as off the floor - many times.  And each time I did it I thought "I used to tell myself NO when I started to do this, but I sure am glad I don't have to do that now."  So I'm glad I went with the non-tilting column.

As for "needing" to use the larger patch, I didn't/don't think I needed to.  But, I had the larger patch so it was more "why not".  I agree it is overkill.  But so is a 12K winch, 3000 watts of AC, and ~360 HP.  So the patch fits right in.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Wow! Thank you gentlemen for the information and ideas! It had not occurred to me about the firewall brace, but that would be an excellent aid in placing and reinforcing the area. The main issue with using the brace itself as intended is that the Aero cab lacks all of the attachment points for the two corner flats. I think what we are looking at inside the Aero cab is already a secondary reinforcing plate as there is a lip around the clutch master cylinder hole. This could be ground down, or the brace could be trimmed to fit in the recessed area. It is probably not thick enough to help, but I could also chunk out that part of the bricknose firewall as a template...

Grumpin, the Lake Havasu yard does have a few Bullnose but not very many and they have been there a while. It depends on what you need. For engine/mechanical parts or body panels you might have some luck, but if you are looking for trim or interior items it probably isn’t worth your time. They have a very decent bed that I was scoping for my ‘81 but unfortunately it only has the one fuel door and I only have a rear tank 😔

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote

As for "needing" to use the larger patch, I didn't/don't think I needed to.  But, I had the larger patch so it was more "why not".  I agree it is overkill.  But so is a 12K winch, 3000 watts of AC, and ~360 HP.  So the patch fits right in.  
"Walk softly and carry a big stick!"  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, sounds like you need medium duty grab handles?

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Ford F834
“Grumpin, the Lake Havasu yard does have a few Bullnose but not very many and they have been there a while. It depends on what you need. For engine/mechanical parts or body panels you might have some luck, but if you are looking for trim or interior items it probably isn’t worth your time. They have a very decent bed that I was scoping for my ‘81 but unfortunately it only has the one fuel door and I only have a rear tank 😔”

Ok, thanks. Bummer on the bed, looks good in the picture.

I don’t like using the steering wheel to pull up either. But the PO of my 94 F250 did it all the time.

When I bought that truck I was surprised how stiff the wheel was, like he never did it. It was tilt also.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
...as far as unnecessarily replacing or upgrading parts Jim....well, isn't that part of the whole hobby?
What else would we do?...
I'm not building a One Hoss Shay, Nor do I want to.

I want to get where I'm going without drama.
I want everything to work, and be reliable.

I don't want to spend countless hours mucking around polishing screws or lining up their slots.
And I don't have weeks of Saturdays in which to do it.

This is no dig at any of you that do.
Micromanage and 'perfect' all you want.
It not only brings you pleasure it brings us all together.

I guess I don't really see this as a hobby.
It's my life every day, for as long as I can remember.
Keeping stuff alive, and giving it a nudge forward, when I can.
There is reward in that.  🙂
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
David - Mad Magazine pointed out that Teddy Roosevelt loved ice cream, but couldn't sneak it past the guards in the White House, so he had his niece get it for him, and here is the full quote of what he actually said to her: "Speak softly and carry a big sticky, gooey, delicious ice cream sundae back to me here in the Oval Office!!"  

Jonathan - That's a much better looking grab handle than the ones that look like they were intended for bathrooms.  I have one of those that was on the dash of Dad's truck.

So, that one's from a medium duty truck?  Hmmm, that's a possibility.  I'll have to see how high Big Blue sits when done, but I have a feeling Janey would love grab handles like that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It not only brings you pleasure it brings us all together.
A lot of stuff we do to our trucks we do solely for the pleasure, isn't it? I know I'm guilty.
We buy things we don't need and upgrade things that don't need to be upgraded...lol.
Hey, I'm still running the original 40amp 1G alternator, the original starter, and a stock replacement C2 power steering pump. They are all perfectly adequate for what I do. I will potentially upgrade them when the time comes that they need replacing.
I am fully aware that some things I do are more for psychological peace of mind than mechanical benefit.
What is it they say? It's not a feature, it's a bug? lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, that is indeed a stock F600/F700 grab handle. They are utilitarian, but to my eyes much nicer looking than the aftermarket shower bars you speak of. They are also very solid and feel good in the hand, unlike said shower bars that have tight corners and feel like they might drop you on your butt.

Jim, I am with you on the practical daily life aspect of these trucks. I enjoy the cosmetic details and hope to eventually be able to lavish a bit more time on them, but my ‘81 and this truck have the vital roll of delivering our household water out here in the desert. I am far more interested in making it dependable and having things work the way they should. Maybe it’s all in my head, but I don’t like the rat’s nest of Aeronose wires, computer boxes, unused plugs and connectors hanging everywhere that I do not know the function of. Maybe if I sort it all and tape wrap all the unused stuff I would be more comfortable working with what is there. I am still waiting to decide until I see the extent of the damage behind the dash.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I'll have to look for some of those grab handles, although I should ask Janey first.

As for the wiring, I have a '96 EVTM.  Might it help?  If so, what sections do you need?  I'll scan them in and create a page for them.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
. Gary, tirelessly going the extra mile for everyone here on the forum!

I may not do it often enough, but I really want to express my heartfelt appreciation for all you do, Gary.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I have a '96 EVTM.  Might it help?  If so, what sections do you need?  I'll scan them in and create a page for them.
Thank you very much Gary. That may prove helpful in sorting out the nightmare if I end up going that route... but hold off on it until I see whether or not I want to use the existing wiring. If I get time this weekend I may try to hook up a battery and at least see what works and what doesn’t as far as lights, signals, gauges, wipers, and HVAC. Obviously engine starting and charging is another story, and I will have to decide how much importance to place on glow plug control / afterglow and IP cold advance functions.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
. Gary, tirelessly going the extra mile for everyone here on the forum!

I may not do it often enough, but I really want to express my heartfelt appreciation for all you do, Gary.
A heartfelt second to that statement. Your generosity with your time and effort to help others is genuinely amazing.

12345 ... 9