classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
575 messages Options
1 ... 2223242526272829
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dad's Truck Build

Ray Cecil
Holy moly Gary. Thats a long, tedious and expensive fix for something a hammer could take care of in 2 minutes....just saying.....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - When you have a very talented paint/body man, who has already spent countless extra hours on this truck to get it right, tell you he doesn't think we should beat on it you listen.  Or, at least I do.

John is way more than "capable".  I've seen him shape metal, and I'm confident he can do it.  But in this case, standing there looking at the issue, he said he's been thinking about this a LOT, and he just doesn't think using a hammer is the right approach.  

Grumpin - Yes, the original floor save for a bit.  We just have to move the high/low transition back 2".  I've stood there and gazed at the floor and think "I've got it!" and then say "I ain't got it."  There's just something creative about taking a piece of one floor and laying it over another floor that escapes me.  I don't have a creative bone in my body.  I know it can be done, but I just haven't twigged as to exactly where to cut to make it happen.  So, I'll cut a much bigger piece out of the donor than is necessary to make sure I have enough.

I've thought about playing with it on Photoshop.  Copy a section and see if I can lay it over the other section and make it work.  Perhaps I should try that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Still need to know if the floor of a 90 cab is different? I know a guy that has one, and you do too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Trent?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
No, Salans7.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I know the crew cabs have a tall tunnel, the E4OD sits down a ways under the floor. Here are some pictures of the E4OD from underneath and through the removed tunnel cover.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
My 4x2 transmission tunnel has a hump pressed into it, that I've seen on a few other bricknose trucks as well. So if there's a difference there, I'm sure there could be more elsewhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I will be able to use a low cover over the E4OD instead of one of the later tall covers like the ZF5 takes.

Shaun - Sorry, I forgot.  Can you take a pic of either the inside or bottom side of the floor, just ahead of the inside seat belt bolt holes?  Maybe with a tape in the pic?

Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Shaun - Sorry, I forgot.  Can you take a pic of either the inside or bottom side of the floor, just ahead of the inside seat belt bolt holes?  Maybe with a tape in the pic?

Thanks.
Unfortunately I cannot get a clear pic as I have both the original sound deadening and what seems to be a pretty mangled floor that makes it hard to discern what is a body line and what is damage. However, after looking at the picture you posted of your floor, although there are some differences in the 1990 floor, the area in question is the same between my cab and yours.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  So the floors in that area look to be the same.  That means to potential donors are more plentiful.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've been doing some work on what to cut out of Dad's floor as well as what to cut out of donor truck.  Below are the two side by side, with Dad's on the left and the donor on the right.  The first two show what to cut out of the two trucks, and the second two show the before and after.

Note that the plan is to leave 1" of "flat" on Dad's floor over which the donor floor will lay.

Does this make any sense?  I had to show Janey the truck in real life for her to understand.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
That is cool, Gary. Will John massage where the pieces overlap?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think it'll actually take any massaging.  Or, let me say that I think I can do all the massaging that is needed.

I'm on the back porch having another cup of French and discussing it with Janey.  As I told her, I'm not sure that the "wings" of flat donor floor need to be on the piece as it should fit down perfectly as a cap on the raised piece.  But, as she said, I can trim the donor piece once I have it if it looks like the wings aren't needed.

Having said that, I have a call into John and want to go up and show him the pics and get his concurrence that I have it worked out.  Then I'll be good to go to the salvage and get the piece from the donor.  Had planned to do that tomorrow, but the forecast is for RAIN, and I might melt.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
  Had planned to do that tomorrow, but the forecast is for RAIN, and I might melt.  
You will be okay; just don't take Janey!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, sugar melts.  

I did get the Ridgid right-angle grinder at Branson over the weekend as well as several cutoff disks, so I should be good to go when the weather clears a bit.  And, I'll cut it bigger than needed so I can trim it here.

And, to help y'all "see" what the pictures are showing, here's a side view.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Right on! Too bad you can't just load the two floorboards into photoshop and print the final product...
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If I had a 3D printer that big perhaps I could!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's being done.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is cool!  No, HOT!  Thanks for sharing that link, Jim.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd read it a year ago and had thought to put it in the CAD/additive manufacturing thread with the Bugatti calipers.

I never did, and filed it away, but when this conversation popped up I thought the context was a good fit.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 2223242526272829