575 messages Options
1 ... 26272829
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dad's Truck Build

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  The floor patch has been bed-lined.  Here's what it looks like, although the liner hasn't yet cured so it still has a sheen to it.  But when it cures it'll blend perfectly with the other.

Then I put the cab back on the frame, and was to the point of looking up the torque values for the mounts when I ran across the statement below in the Body section.  I guess this answers the question.  There's still some silicone lube on the bottom of the cab as well as the frame, if not the bushings themselves, so it has to come off.

So, the cab's gotta come back off, and while it is I'm going to powder coat a few things.  But, the end of this chapter is in sight!  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Note that it only specifies the frame & mounts, because they shouldn't move in relation to each other.  It does NOT say "the body".

But I don't think it's critical; especially with modern rubber, and certainly not with polyurethane.  Which are you using?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Somehow I missed your question back in May.  Sorry.  But I'm using polyurethane.

Anyway, I actually did a teeny bit of work on Dad's truck today.  Yesterday I powder coated the transmission inspection plate that Bill sent me.  Today I PC'd the screws, which are 1/4-14's.  Here's the combo:

And here they are installed, although this pic is poor:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
I hadn't seen your Conoco pump 4 (is the other side 3?). Have you had that for long?
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
FoxFord33 wrote
I hadn't seen your Conoco pump 4 (is the other side 3?). Have you had that for long?
Hmmm? I believe that arrived about 3 or 4 years ago. Right, Gary?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Keith Perry gave me that.  And I'm chagrined that it still isn't up in the shop.  What are you doing today?  Want to hang it?

Long story short, I was with Conoco and he with DuPont when DuPont bought Conoco.  We worked together in the combined Telecommunications organization in Houston from '88 to '94, when I transfered to Wilmington and changed over to DuPont.  Later DuPont spun Conoco off and Keith went with it.  Then Conoco and Phillps merged and he was transferred to B'ville.

Meanwhile I retired and we moved to town.  First Sunday at church it was announced that Gary & Janey Lewis were visting and this guy gets up from what is now my seat and comes back to where I was sitting, which is now Glenn Reynolds' seat, and sticks out his hand.  Hadn't seen him in 10 years, but I said "Hi, Keith!"

David - You are probably right.  

Reply | Threaded
|

muminvater
Hi Gary,
as you see, I had a look at your Dad´s truck. I´m still impressed about your work and your equipment and I'm still laughing at your comment "how much intricate detail there is in that thing"  at my model   you are prangster...

In any case, the truck is much better build than any series car. Well done

The man in the garage, is it you or your dad??

Tobias
rising up across the sea....  (Katatonia)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Tobias - My work is 18 times bigger than yours, and that makes it a bunch easier.  But, I will admit that I have put a lot of time in on Dad's truck.

As for the guy in the pic below, assuming that's the one you were questioning, that's my little brother.  He's three years younger than I am, so since I'm 75 he must be 72.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jstitts
Looking good, Gary!!!
1983 F-100, 300ci.
2011 F-150, Ecoboost, FX4.
2021 Subaru Outback.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jon!  But I've not done anything to Dad's truck in quite some time.  However, you've been gone for about that same length of time.  How are you?  Are you back?

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Looks great!  Do I ever wish I had a lift!
Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Jstitts
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Finally got off the road! Much less travel these days. Time to get to work. You still got an engine guy??
1983 F-100, 300ci.
2021 Subaru Outback.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bryan - A lift makes a HUGE difference!  I highly recommend one, especially the 2-post version.

Jon - Glad you are off the road.  What are you working on?

As for an engine man, I had Tim Meyer build the 400 for Dad's truck and Scotty the Mad Porter build the 460 for Big Blue.  But Tim no longer builds engines.  On the other hand, Scotty builds more then 460's.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jstitts
gonna get the 300 rebuilt! Watched a pretty cool video on the YT from powernation on a 300 they beefed up. Don't think the engine is worth the shipping cost to Tacoma
1983 F-100, 300ci.
2021 Subaru Outback.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
At least talk to Scotty.  You might be surprised.  And I do NOT know anyone in the T-town area I'd recommend.  Talk to Brandon/Bruno2 and me about it and you'll run away from anyone here.

1 ... 26272829