1 ... 242526272829
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dad's Truck Build

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
Trial fitting of the floor piece is going well.
Was the donor the same year (range) as Dad's, or a later truck with the factory longer bump?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ow Gary!
That looks like it must have been painful after all the time and money you have into that cab.

But it is progress.  And Progress Is Good! 

Just a suggestion.
Dont rely on pop rivets to *pull* anything together.
Use Clecos, or drill only the patch and use self tapping sheet metal screws to pull the patch tight.
Then remove one screw at a time, drill for the rivet and install.

On second thought...  don't use Clecos.
Because they are tough to clean and if panel bond gets into them you may as well toss them in the trash.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - The piece was from an '85 regular cab, and was identical to the floor of Dad's truck.  That let me move it back 2", which got the clearance I needed, but still have it mate to the floor nicely.

I wonder if a later floor would work as well, or maybe even better.  I wish I still had Huck, both to have tried that as well as to get the crossmember for Big Blue.  

Jim - It was nerve wracking to say the least.  What if it doesn't work and I have a hole in the floor?  But a lot of study and the Photoshop playing showed it would work, so I was game.

As for the fasteners, I like the sheet metal screw suggestion.  You are right that pop rivets don't always pull things together, and when I have the adhesive in there I sure don't want to be drilling a rivet out.  But I think I'll drill pilot holes in the patch, then drill starter holes in the floor.  And I'll do that today to ensure that it is going to go together nicely w/o having to bend things.  Then I'll pick up the adhesive when we are in Tulsa on Monday and be ready to do the work on Tuesday.

As said, Brandon recommended this adhesive, M1, and I talked it over with John and he thought it would be fine.  One of its pluses is that it has good flexibility as well as adhesion.  Initially I worried that it might not be strong enough, but with 16 pop rivets holding the patch on I am no longer worried about that.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Wow Gary,

Reading the data link for M1 seems more a caulk than any panel bonding adhesive like I have used from 3M.

Reconsider pulling anything tight using that, as their chart shows a maximum 2:1 ratio.
So... if you had a 1/2" overlap you would need a minimum 1/4" thickness of adhesive.
It might seal but would never be rigid.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hmmm, that doesn't seem like what I want then.  Do you have a recommendation?

I'll text John, my paint/body man and see what he suggests for hanging fenders and bed sides.  I really want something that bonds tightly as the seat belt anchors aren't very far away.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, I have 1" of overlap in many places.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How 'bout 3M 08115.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've only used the 3M products because I have their proper plural component gun.
There are different formulas for temperatures, open time, bond strength, rigidity v/s elasticity.

Check their website industrial/autobody for specs and SDS.

Otherwise, ask at a volume body shop what they use and why it is the best product for them.
I don't have a lot of experience but have used the 3M product.

Have you considered a flanging tool so the patch sits flat/flush?
I guess it doesn't matter much given the location.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The height doesn't really matter as it'll be covered with sound deadener, a carpet pad, and then carpet.  And it'll be under the console.  So it isn't going to be noticeable.

As for finding the right thing, I'll ask John as he uses the stuff all the time.  And he can tell me where to get it in Tulsa.  We are heading in on Monday, so that should work out well.

But the pdf on 08115 reads like it is the right stuff.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
...drill only the patch and use self tapping sheet metal screws to pull the patch tight.
Then remove one screw at a time, drill for the rivet and install.
That's exactly what Ford recommends in this TSB:

I use JB Weld as the panel adhesive.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That stuff looks good.

I'll go with what I know and throw this at you. I used to use this a lot back in the day.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ps890.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6LKOSACNwZ9eynyMnSj1f_gVLNu-BVtBxZFK_Yfomu9-W0rndrtzoxoCPMkQAvD_BwE

Note that it says B-2, that is the working time, not cure time. 2 as in 2 hours. That should be fine for what you're doing. Should be mixed well.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's good confirmation on the screws and rivets.  And, I like what it says about drilling a hole and inserting a screw and then drilling the next hole and inserting a screw - "otherwise holes may not match perfectly".

I have #10 screws, so I'll drill 3/16" holes in the panel, drill a 1/8" pilot to start the self-tapping screws.  And I'm going to use 3/16" stainless blind pop rivets, assuming I can find them in the right grip range locally, so will then drill the holes to 3/16" after the adhesive sets up.

And I think I'm sold on using an adhesive designed for panel bonding - assuming I can find it.  But, thanks for the suggestions guys.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can get panel bonding adhesive at any autobody supply.

Just be wary of the cost of the gun to dispense it!... or borrow one and use the brand that fits.... or push it out onto some kind of pallette and mix it like you would Bondo.

Since you're in no rush, a bonder with long working time would ease the stress
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good points, Jim.  I'll check out what the additional costs are for that 3M 08115.  But the pdf says:

Use with the following applicators: PN08117 (manual), PN 09930 (pneumatic). 3M™ Mixing Nozzle, PN 08193 (6/bag), PN 08194 (50/box).

For professional use only. Not intended for retail sale.

Hadn't seen the last statement before just looking for the part #'s, but that probably explains why John said he'd tell whomever it was to sell to me.

Meanwhile, back on the patch, it fits like shown below.  The bottom pics are looking forward on the left, and looking rearward on the right.  There's more gap than I want, and the screws are tight, so I'm going to massage the truck's floor up on the edges and see what I get.  But I'm pretty sure I'll have to trim the rear cut back a bit.

Oh yes, you can see the proximity of the seat belt anchors, which is one reason I want this to be solid.  But with the adhesive on doubled pieces plus the rivets it should be at least as strong as it was originally.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, massaging the floor did the trick.  Everything fits tightly except for the two grooves shown below in the old picture w/o massaging, and they have maybe a 1/4" gap.  But the gap just goes back 1/8" or so before the two pieces come together.  I'm thinking that the adhesive will fill that nicely, and any gap left will get filled with the undercoating John sprays on.  Thoughts?

As for the accessories for the adhesive, Jim is absolutely right. Looks like I'd better see if I can borrow the applicator from John.  

For 3M 08115 you need:

3M 08115 Panel Bonding Adhesive - 200 ml   $41
3M 08117 MixPac Applicator Gun for 200 ml Cartridges $349 
3M 8193 Mixing Nozzle, 1 Pack $14

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, pardon my question if it’s been covered already but is there a reason you don’t just weld the new piece into place?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Because John doesn't think I should.  The heat would melt the bed liner he used underneath, and it would mess up a lot of paint.  This way we just have a much smaller area to clean up.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the accessories for the adhesive, Jim is absolutely right. Looks like I'd better see if I can borrow the applicator from John.  
3M 08117 MixPac Applicator Gun for 200 ml Cartridges $349 
Yup.
That's why I chose 3M.
At least the gun won't be obsolete in a year or two.
But it's a big nut for a one off job.

Ask Brandon about Hilti plural mix guns for setting rebar or threaded rod in concrete and block.
Though they aren't quite so proud of them as 3M are.

If your body man will loan it to you for a day, great! You're much better off.
The mixing tip is a consumable, but this is why I floated the idea of mixing by hand. (It can be done, in a pinch)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That photo of the cut floor hurts, and it's not even my truck. I would totally do that on my truck, and definitely a mud truck, but there's no way I would do it on Dad's truck. Props to you, I know that had to be a hard decision.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - Just got a text from John, the paint/body man, and he'll call me on Monday with the info.  We are headed to T-town that day so I should be able to pick the adhesive, as well as the rivets, up.  And in the midst of that is, I think, an implied I'll-loan-you-the-tool.

Shaun - It was tough to do.  But, having already had an E4OD built and installed, something had to be done and this looked like the least-bad solution.  In the end it'll work out fine and with the bedliner below and sound deadener above no one will be able to see it.

1 ... 242526272829