classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
118 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Powered by Ford" Grand Wagoneer...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that IS a good sign.  I was kind of doubting that you could get it to run with any gas that might be left in the tank, and even if you siphon it out there may be a lot of junk in it.

However, if I were you I'd run a leak-down check on it.  You can do that once you get it on the stand.  You have an engine stand, right?  I have a leak-down tester, but you need to get it from me soon as we head out again on Monday.

You'll rotate the engine with a 15/16" socket on the harmonic balancer bolt until a cylinder comes up on TDC on the compression stroke.  Put the tester into the spark plug hole, feed it 100 psi air, read the 2nd gauge to determine % loss (90 psi means 10% loss, and 50 PSI means 50% loss, etc), and go listen for the sounds of leakage in the exhaust port, intake, and cooling system.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yes, I will be looking to sell anything I don't use. The interior has at least some things that could be desirable, and the chassis parts look healthy. The body is largely undamaged, save for the part of the grille just above the bumper, and there's not much rust damage. All the glass is good. I will be making a full inventory in future and posting it for sale, but you can make a request if you want something specific!
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I do have an engine stand!  But I will be chaperoning a school trip for my kids, and helping my 89-year-old grandmother move to KC this weekend. So I am not in danger of having it out very soon. If you won't be using it on your trip, I could just hold your leakdown tester till you get back. One of these weekends, I will be pulling it!
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Will you be at church on Sunday?  If not I can drop the tester on your front porch after we have our Mother's Day Italian meal 4 blocks away.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FoxFord33
I'm WAY up in Connecticut.  

A painter buddy of mine asked me to look at his '94 E-350 last night because it makes a bang over bumps and the rear doors drag on the bumper. (rear sill/crossmember is completely gone )
We have plenty of rust up here, for you as well!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I will not be there, so you can leave it inside the van or on the porch, whichever you feel.

Jim, you don't have to feel obligated to share the rust with us, but I appreciate your generosity!

Here's what I really want to post: progress!

Got the 'luminum fins out of the way. Now I have to remove the intake so I can attach the crane. But first, life's interruptions have to be priority one.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That certainly is PROGRESS!

I hope to remember tomorrow to get the tester and put it in the car. Then remember to drop it off.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, the stuff is in the car, so that part of  worked.  Now to remember to drop it off.  Might be a minor change of plans as Italian may not be on the menu since we have left-over Mac's.  

Here's what's in the box.  Configured as on the left it is a leak-down tester and you supply air on the upper left and put the spark plug in the cylinder being tested when it is at TDC on the compression stroke.  Dial the regulator around to read 100 PSI on the left gauge.  BUT, the loss is actually 100 - right gauge.

And configured as on the right you have a compression tester.  I'm not a big fan of testing that way, but it is available nonetheless.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two more things that might come in handy:

On the right is a piston stop, which I use to find TDC on #1.  Set it up so it stops you several degrees ahead of TDC when rotating the engine clockwise and then make sure it stops the same number of degrees after TDC when rotating it CCW.  If not your balancer isn't accurate or has slipped.

On the left is a tape that I use to measure the circumference of a harmonic balancer and then, having done the math, mark said balancer at 90 degree increments for the TDC of each cylinder.

They are in the box/tote.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Ok. Grandma is moved. We're not going to comment here on whether she is totally enthused about the situation.

I flew back home today and had a few minutes before the kids got home from their last week of school. So I continued to remove hoses and wires. This is the A/C line, but it couldn't have been containing the refrigerant. It had some solid material resembling wood glue for a sealant. Looked like this:

So there was no tell-tale hiss when I released the hoses. Not surprising or disappointing; it was cheap enough.

When I took the fuel lines loose, I was pleased to find that they were still pressurized and full of fuel.

I took loose some EGR hoses and I will be continuing later.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  To have fuel in the lines with pressure is great!

Happen to find a blue tote?

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Gary, I did receive the tote. Thank you!

I have continued removal of pieces in order to remove the engine.  Looks like it will go easier if all belt-driven accessories are off.

Also, I have to remove at least the top half of the intake so I have lifting room. However, getting to the bolt down under the comb-over is proving difficult. Looks like I need a long torx, but does anyone know what size? I could buy a set and shoot till I make it...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad the tote was there.

As for the torx, in this post Jim said:

ArdWrknTrk wrote
T-40, 1/4" drive, 150-175 mm extension.

Or the Wiha 77117 is available on Amazon for around $10 delivered here in the U.S.
That 3/8" drive is skinny enough to fit.
Text me as I probably have the right combo of bits & extensions to do it.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Ok, I'm glad to hear I can borrow from you. I know that my set of torx is 3/8" drive, and cannot fit down in there; additionally, my own head has a larger diameter than 2", therefore I cannot get a view in there to size it. I can't tell the size from my picture.

I imagined that a set which is mostly shaft would do it, so I see Jim's posted suggestions would work well. I will contact you, Gary! Thanks again, both of you!

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Okay, the torx that works is a T40 1/4" hex drive tip for $5 at the hardware store. I put it in a 1/4" socket on a screwdriver and easily turned it out. Then came the really tricky part: getting the loose intake out.

There are a dozen things in the way. So after removing the distributor, I also removed the water temperature housing.

I didn't check clearance for the fuel line and broke it. Aargh. I probably want clean ones, anyway. But it's out now! So I'll be removing the alternator mount next time. An interesting note that was literally written on the alternator: "98 Explorer" And the alternator housing is cracked. So, a junkyard pull. Welp, I know I'm not getting one from O'Reilly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hadn’t thought of a Torx bit. Duh!

Glad you got it out.

As for the fuel line, if it is the Nylon stuff I have the tool to insert fittings in the line and some fittings and line. You’ll have to make a whole new fuel system anyway. Been there, done that, and love it.

Save the tank off the van so you can check if it’ll fit the Wagoneer. And I have some pickup tanks you can test.

On the alternator, not only were the O’Reilly ones failing quickly, they were selling us the wrong ones. The Alternator light would not go off with the 2nd one, even though the voltage was perfect. Turns out there’s another alternator with the correct circuit in it to turn the light off.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
I wa almost ready to alter a socket, but you could say that I was loathe to lathe a perfectly good tool when there could be a more straightforward solution. Those bolts come out easy.

On the fuel, yes it was the soft line. I think it was getting crispy, anyway. It is all fixable! I did end up rounding a bolt head trying to separate the throttle body from the intake. Looks like rusty water is the reason it's stuck. I will have to use more heat carefully.

Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Ok, a few pictures, a little progress. I finished removing the air pump/alternator accessory bracket. I will have to research the air pump delete. I unbolted the exhaust, got the dirt back out of my eyes, took loose the engine and transmission mounts, and made sure one last time that nothing else was connected. I decided it was time to drain the oil. It was pretty dark, but not sludgy yet.

Then I tried to hook a chain through the engine lift points. There is not enough room between the engine bay ceiling and the top of the valve covers to get my shop crane in there. So after some finagling, I just strung a chain between the bolt holes in the heads and pulled up and out. Eventually, it came. I kept swaying the engine/trans back and forth while using a 4' convincer bar. No damage so far. I got it about 1/3 of the way out.

I don't know what I should do about the tail of the transmission. It is not supported right now, and I was thinking about running a strap around it and back up to the shop crane to lift it. But I had to attend to kids' needs and stuff for the evening. So it's getting closer!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Steve, can you support the transmission with a floor jack?
At least until you get the assembly far enough forward to re-balance your chain from the engine crane?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
Yes, Jim; I neglected to mention that I am supporting the trans with a floor jack as it comes out. I think you are right about that.  I hope it will come forward far enough to use the lift points and I can switch to that. If it's not too rainy today, then maybe!