classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2126 messages Options
1234567 ... 107
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

salans7
It's really a sign of where society is headed and in my opinion, it's not in a good direction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
salans7 wrote
It's really a sign of where society is headed and in my opinion, it's not in a good direction.
Amen, brother!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
For my own edification, I had to look up Gen Y and Gen Z. Here's what I found here:
Baby Boomers: Baby boomers were born between 1944 and 1964. They're current between 55-75 years old (76 million in U.S.)
Boomers are universally understood to have been born starting in 1946, not 1944...not sure how that page came up with 1944, they even mention that the Boomers are the post-WWII generation. The war ended September 2, 1945 which means that if mom & dad celebrated the news by getting busy right then and there, the baby would be born no earlier than June of 1946.

Just for fun I recently worked out which generations I still have living family in:

• G.I./Greatest Generation - Grandmother #1
  • Silent Generation - Grandmother #2, father, aunts & uncles
  • Boomers - mother
  • Gen X - me, my brother, cousins, etc.
  • &#!% Millennials - my nephews
  • Gen Z - my son
  • Gen ?? - my nephew's sons
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gentlemen,

Always remember that when traveling, there is more to pack than clean undies and your toothbrush...

Hotel reading for this evening. I shall sit back with my notepad and pen and work on my want/need list;).

And, while you're here...do you see anything wrong with either of these covers???...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Rembrant wrote
And, while you're here...do you see anything wrong with either of these covers???...lol.
The grille on that bullnose is hideous, that's for certain.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Dorsai wrote
The grille on that bullnose is hideous, that's for certain.
Yeah, I'm with you on that.

I was just curious of the dentside Bronco on the front of Carpenter catalog looked as out of place to anybody else as it does to me?...It is after all, a 1980-1996 parts catalog.

I assume that is a 1979 Bronco...didn't they have round lights in 1978? Any dentside experts on here?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not an expert by any stretch, but most 78's had round headlights.  The exceptions were high-end trucks.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I was just curious of the dentside Bronco on the front of Carpenter catalog looked as out of place to anybody else as it does to me?...It is after all, a 1980-1996 parts catalog.

I assume that is a 1979 Bronco...didn't they have round lights in 1978? Any dentside experts on here?
I noticed that...but I suspect that bottom section of the cover ("Higher Quality, Lower Prices") is an overlay that was applied to all their covers.  It's going to be *really* out of place on whichever catalog has the 1948 trucks in it...
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Im not a fan of this Generation labeling garbage, as if all people born in a certain time frame are the same. Give me a break. I was born in 86. Im nothing like a stereotypical "millenial" skinny jean wearing, black frame glasses wearing, snowflake lumbersexual. I dont care what people think of me, the narcissistic peers of my "generation" DO care what people think, and worry too much about their projection of personality.

Do what you like, say what you think, tell me what you know, dont tell me how you "feel" because nobody cares.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
I feel your pain - for a long time we Gen Xers were considered the 'slacker' generation, which wasn't any more fair of a generalization than what you're putting up with.

But in one respect I do have it easier; Gen X was a relatively small generation.  And sandwiched in between the train wrecks that came before and after us, we've been largely forgotten.
Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Dorsai wrote
I feel your pain - for a long time we Gen Xers were considered the 'slacker' generation, which wasn't any more fair of a generalization than what you're putting up with.

But in one respect I do have it easier; Gen X was a relatively small generation.  And sandwiched in between the train wrecks that came before and after us, we've been largely forgotten.
Haha...ya, the Gen-Y crowd has gotten a pretty bad rap the past number of years. Born in 1972, I'm a solid Gen-X'er. Nobody pays much attention to us...it's the Boomers and the Millennials that get all the news and editorial coverage...lol.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I got bunions older than you sonny...

Generational identifiers are fine.

As I've been saying to Gary, they tell a lot about the world you know and were raised in.

Boomers were born into the affluence of a post war economy.
Everyone and everything were upwardly mobile as the generation who went to war from the farmlands, returned home to the glut of opportunities found in suburbia, and had kids.
The car culture encouraged sprawl. A big change from cities that came before

(I sit somewhere between, in here)

Gen Xers  were brought into the world under the cold war, tail end of McCarthyism, and the constant threat of nuclear annialaton.
War protests, and bounds toward equal race and women's rights were highlights. As well as the huge push toward space exploration and electronic data

Gen Y were seeing huge shifts in American industry, and for the first time a downturn of the American middle class.
There was still racial strife and protest but most of the bombings and lynchings were gone.
The Soviet Union and Berlin Wall fell apart as the 90's opened and the existential fear of nuclear anialation
was no longer drummed into every school kid who had to practice cowering under their desk.
Politics and the economy ran hot and cold, red and blue. This is the true rise of the post war ultra wealthy and the downfall of the middle class as they bought into the trickle down/voodoo economics of the Reagan/Bush era.

Millennials were somewhat embittered by all this, and they were the first generation who only knew a world connected to and divided by the rise of the electronic age. Opportunities and optimism were not the same for them. The advent of real time information and backlash against oppressive regimes imposed on 2nd world states shaped their views.

I can't speak for what followed.
Maybe I can ask my son or grandchildren.

Again, this is only my perspective, but as they say hindsight is 20/20

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, you are correct that the times do shape our experience, but I do not believe that the times must shape how we see ourselves, or shape our personalities, or our actions.

For many generations, these virtues have been taught in my family, as well as many other families: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, self Reliance, Industriousness and Perseverance.

Out of respect for all, and especially Gary, I wont get political or religious. However, I believe that the virtues pierce time, cultures, wars, hate, and yes even religion. The virtues are based in The Golden Rule.  I havent always lived perfectly by them, but as a non religious person, they have been my ships navigational charts. No generational label or generational happenstance can move a person grounded in these virtues. Most religions teach these virtues in some way or another.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ray, I agree.
But the world around us does shape our view of where we fit into that world.

Virtues are (for the most part) universal.
Though different cultures and religions have very different views of -monogamy- for example.

Christians themselves, can have wildly different perspectives!
From polygamy and marriages as close as cousins to Catholics who believe in abstinence before marriage and that you will be excommunicated if you choose to stray from or divorce your partner.

I won't expound on religion any deeper.

Wars change and break all 'virtues'
I know this from personal experience and I will not get graphic with what I have seen and know as fact.
No one is virtuous when they are being tortured, or watching their family burned alive for 'entertainment'
War is gruesome and hateful from the ground.

I'm not perfect, far from it.
But I try to live my life without regret, and let others live theirs.

My discussions with Gary have reflected on the fundemental changes in our world and known universe.
How new (generations) have perspective and abilities unimagined by their forbearers.

Eric has about *correction 8 years on you, but if I asked him i'd imagine his views would be close to yours.

My apologies if I'm just a cynical old coot.
Things happen that change a man.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, the older I get, the more I understand the cynical old man. Also, the more I learn, the more I realize I dont know very much.

Something I realized in my 20's is that there is a difference between judgment, and condemnation. I learned that its okay to judge, but not always wise to condemn. I am certain I dont have all the perspective that an older man has. However, I have met plenty of older men who have very narrow, sheltered, and naive perspective.

I think the problem with my "generation" is that they are advanced in knowledge due to tech, but not advanced in wisdom and experience. Like the old saying goes "Youth is wasted on the young." If we only knew then, what we know now.....

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm a freaking encyclopedia!
And I think I don't know too much.

I've known for a long time that I can only judge myself.
But we learn every day of people who have done things that should be judged (harshly)
I'm no one's God, and I don't want to play him either.

And -I hope- I'm not small minded, bigoted, ignorant or bitter about anything.

Knowledge is out there everywhere!
Experience is only lived
And wisdom is the ability to distinguish between the learning and the lesson.

I've known very wise kids.
And I've known stupid old fools. (judgement????)
It's not about when you were born.
It's about how you were allowed or encouraged to interact with the world.
(I grew up absolutely feral)

There is an expectation of safety in most of the developed world now.
And yet, we expect our children to have good judgment.
But then we get arrested for allowing them to walk home from school alone.
We push them academically, and intramurally, but if they twist an ankle in basketball, the school system gets sued.

You can't have it both ways.
And you need to give kids a chance to fail or get injured for them to learn the consequences of their actions.
We should not be prosecuted for letting kids be kids. (no matter six or sixty)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 ***** Snipped and moved from WHYDTYTT*****

I'm a pedant, but not obsessive compulsive.

When people ask the difference, I say
"I like the bills in my wallet grouped by denomination, OCD is when you have to file them by serial number"  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, I'm definitely OCD when it comes to my trucks. My F150 was proof of that.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
How is it for you?
Do you find it crippling in any way?

If this is too personal, just say no comment.
As an autistic i'm interested in other people's perspectives on the world.
Unfortunately I don't seem to have any boundaries or a filter between brain and mouth.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
You don't seem to care that it's EXACTLY as it rolled off the line.
Just that it fits your *vision of what it should be*
 Jim,
1234567 ... 107