classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2261 messages Options
12345 ... 114
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Ray Cecil
I wanted to stuff an LS motor into a miata once. Then I realized I wanted to live to see my kids grow up.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Same, I also have Boot Barn but their pricing is a little higher than TS and RK.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
5.0 conversions are actually pretty popular.

Same as Carroll Shelby put the 289 in an AC Cobra and created a monster.

http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/index.htm
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Jim, MonsterMiata was the company that got me thinking about a miata. They started with 5.0 kits, and now offer an LS kit.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can see the appeal for a weekend driver.
Lack of room and peril to both license and life would make it a big NOPE for an only car.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In the UK you could buy a Brodie Brittain Racing turbo'd MX5 from the dealer, replete with warranty.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's a lot of cool cars we can't get here, thanks to the likes of Joan Claybrook.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm subscribed to an LS Miata owner on YouTube and that little Miata is a completely different car compared to the 4 banger that he had before. I've also personally seen an LS Miata up close and it is a sight to behold.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Does he autocross it?

I'd think it would tend to push with that big engine up there, but I don't know how it effects weight distribution.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd think it would tend to push with that big engine up there, but I don't know how it effects weight distribution.
That and the warranty issue were why I liked the BBR approach to Miatas.  Granted, that was a single turbo with minimal boost, but it allowed the stock tranny and diff to live.  To go with a V8 they obviously had to change out the tranny and usually the rear axle.

But the 3.5L Ecoboost has proven to me that twin turbos can spool quickly and provide serious power w/o the weight of a V8.  So that approach might also allow the stock tranny and diff to live.  And, it would maintain the balance that the creators worked hard to achieve.

EDIT: I used to stuff my Miata into corner and experience a true 4-wheel drift.  It was FUN.  And I could follow M3's and motorcycles quite well, although both left me on the straights.  I loved the balance.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
It's setup to drift. Car is at the beginning.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
If I remember correctly, a Ford 5.0 swap with aluminum heads into a miata had nearly the exact same weight distribution.

If you had an all aluminum LS, I think it was lighter than the 5.0.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hard to believe that little 4banger is as heavy as an aluminum headed 5.0.

*mind blown
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Hard to believe that little 4banger is as heavy as an aluminum headed 5.0.

*mind blown
I didnt say they weighed the same. I said the weight distribution was nearly the same. Their site states 250lbs heavier with the 5.0. And nearly 53/47 weight distribution. Which I believe factory was 50/50????

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Since I know it's a popular pastime to try to spot Bullnoses in the media, see if you can spot the white bullnose in this excellent documentary on Florida Man.

Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I wasn't doubting, Ray. I was surprised!

Hence *mind blown

Do they put some of the 5.0 in the trunk????

***But I can see the BP4W weighing #285, and the 5.0 with aluminum heads 250 lbs. more than that at #535.

Nearly double the weight for twice the cylinders and displacement...***
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
That's disturbed/disturbing.  But, I liked the bullnose.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Dorsai wrote
Since I know it's a popular pastime to try to spot Bullnoses in the media, see if you can spot the white bullnose in this excellent documentary on Florida Man.

That was funny. Round here, Florida man is "Turtle Man".

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well, now that we've met Vernons mechanics that previously worked on Big Blue....

I am sure that the truck is so grateful to be out of that state and into Gary's caring hands.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Well, now that we've met Vernons mechanics that previously worked on Big Blue....

I am sure that the truck is so grateful to be out of that state and into Gary's caring hands.
That's the truth...that truck has Florida Man written all over it.

I'm just glad my parents got me out of there when they did - there's no telling what could have happened!
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
12345 ... 114