2261 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 114
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m not sure I’d call it “bling”. More like “yuk”. Underneath there’s a nice truck wanting to come out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"there's as many opinions as people on the internet"

I used to have a saying in my interior cabinet/furnishings business.
"There's no accounting for poor taste.
Give them what they want and they will be happy"
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I used to have a saying in my interior cabinet/furnishings business.
"There's no accounting for poor taste.
Give them what they want and they will be happy"
Jim, that reminded me of when my wife and I had an older "country" gentleman build cabinets for our kitchen. My wife might ask him about something and his answer was: "If you [my wife] like it, I luuuuv it."

He did have a very southern drawl!
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
We had a pretty rough storm come through last night. Wind gusts were in excess of 45 mph, and with a lot of dead/dying trees behind the house, we had quite a few tree tops come down. Luckily nothing hit my F350 or the house. Spent the afternoon with the chainsaw and got everything cleaned up. The nice part about having a large wooded area behind the house is that you can just throw all of the debris back into the woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We, too, have a wooded area behind the house but outside the fence.  And we have a burn pile where we stack the limbs that come down.  Very handy.  

But the back of our property is city limits and the neighbors on the other side of it can't burn.  When we had a serious ice storm about 10 or 12 years ago we burned the many, many downed limbs and even trees.  Ken, the neighbor, said "You are lucky.  This is my 23rd trailer load going to the dump."  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Speaking of ice storm weather...
Always feel crazy picking up wood pellets when it's still July but had Chanute (and my helper) at the farm supply and saw they were in stock.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a load!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by kramttocs
What do you pay a ton? $200?

I've had two skids in Lil' Red, and it is one of the few times I use 1st.
Need to strap them good, because that poly wrap Isn't going to keep them from shifting around a corner.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
These are 174.50/ton and I'll need to get one more ton before winter  They are a fairly local manufacturer so not sure how wide their coverage is. There are 3 brands one can get around here and these are the cheapest. Seems like pellets are hit and miss but I've stuck with these because they are local and my stove seems to like them.

2 tons at a time - I like it. Well, so long as you aren't behind me 😁

Couple years ago I did 2 tons on my 85 F350 running srw's and it was definitely feeling it.
With just a ton on Chanute it was still a good inch away from the overloads and rode a whole lot smoother than empty!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've got a manual so I use the compression to slow.
But my brakes are in good shape.

Yes, my truck rides like a late '70's Lincoln with a real load on.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your daughter's adorable!  

I bet she weighs the same 40# as a bag
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Interesting bumper.

You should show it to Jonathan, in his 'bummer' thread.
He needs Burro and livestock protection for his truck.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Guys,

Do most of you pre-fill your new oil filters when doing an oil change? Can any harm be done starting up an engine with a dry/empty oil filter?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thank you :)
She (5) and my son (6) were determined to help unload. We may have had to duct tape a few holes in the bags by the time they got them from the pallet to the back of the bed.

Good thinking on the bumper- I'll post some photos of it there to see if it gives him any ideas.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
Guys,

Do most of you pre-fill your new oil filters when doing an oil change? Can any harm be done starting up an engine with a dry/empty oil filter?

If its a vertical install yes, I have always prefilled to the top. If its sideways, I usually just get it a little wet inside and hurry spinning it on. Ive never had any issues either way.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Rembrant wrote
Guys,

Yes, always have, always will. It's a force of habit for me, but of course if I had an Inline engine with a horizontal filter like the 300, it would probably be a little more difficult to do.

It's another topic similar to that of changing transmission fluid on a 100k mile vehicle that has never been serviced.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thank you!  For sharing w/ Jonathan.  
I had no idea where that bumper came from, or its purpose, but it might have saved him his ranch runabout.

Yes, kids are great when they help.  
Stepping on pellets barefoot in the night is more fun than stepping on legos, because they're also trying to land you on your butt when they roll.  

So, in the Midwest, opened bags don't start to swell and turn to dust, clogging the auger.   🤯
I find around here, the brands are very different. (I guess depending on the hardwood/softwood mix?)
Some are ashey, and some stay together better. (more pitch?)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm with Ray.
On a 460 there's no clean way to get the old filter off (it always runs down the PS cooling loop and across the cross member)

I put a splash in and lube the O-ring, and I don't put any load on the engine until the gauge comes up.
... on 460's the sender is at the back of the block, behind the EGR.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yeah, that was a sad deal with his truck.
The only time I had issues with swelling was when I bought some from a supplier that hadn't stored them properly so the top layer had gotten rained on.
I think these bags have small perforations so that might help as humidity is definitely no stranger here. The vast majority around here are 100% oak so like you said, the ingredients may affect the moisture absorption.
What kind of stove do you have?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't.
But my buddy (and neighbor) has a Harman.

Every time he has a sensor or seal go bad I get the call.
But his is shoehorned into a corner, and he does little to no maintenance.
So when that auger jams, it is a huge pita.

That, and he has no truck.... And can't think ahead to get them delivered.
So, -mid season- when there are none around and prices are high I get the desperate call that he and his family are freezing their butts off.     
 Jim,
1 ... 45678910 ... 114