classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2676 messages Options
1 ... 87888990919293 ... 134
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

86 1/2 Brutus
Thank you Gary.  Lots of Love, Passion, Cussing and throwing things went into this.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I couldn't do an 8-mile run in the best of times, and especially not at that temp.

And that antifreeze says it got really COLD!  Man, I hope your RV is OK.
Like I said, it only got to about -15°F.  That was the actual temp, the wind chill was around -40°, but wind chill only affects how fast something cools off, it'll never get below the actual temp.  So I'm not sure why this froze.  Googling it I see that straight propylene glycol should freeze at -39°F, and mixing it with water actually drops the freezing temp.  The commercial stuff with a -50°F rating is supposedly 60% water.  So did it separate?  Or did they cheap out and use too much water (although I had two different brands and both did the same thing).

This wasn't all that unusual weather for us, and I haven't had trouble before, so I'm choosing not to worry.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
That’s a very nice Ranchero!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well, my truck was broken into last night. I opened the passenger door and saw the contents of my center console sitting on my driver seat (mainly just my work badge, pens, and receipts). I went to the driver's side, and the door was closed but not latched (so to not make loud thuds). The only thing that was missing was a set of small padlock keys that I found recently, but I'm not sure what they go to so best of luck to the crim!

My neighbor's Explorer was hit too, so it seems like they were just checking all of the cars. I try to always lock my truck but can't be sure I did yesterday. There are ways to access vehicles without breaking windows, so they may have gone that route if it was locked. Either way, I'm just glad my window wasn't smashed. I usually park my truck in the backyard out of sight but had a lazy moment and left it out front which has never been an issue before, but now I'm keeping it in the backyard again.

We hear it all the time, but make sure you don't leave valuables in your vehicles. I believe they were looking for weapons, wallets, purses, loose electronics, etc. I keep none of that in my truck, so they left it in a hurry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  But at least the window wasn't broken and nothing important was missing.

I really like the security system I have on Big Blue.  It wasn't expensive, but the impact sensor will trigger if someone hits it hard enough to break a window, and the pin switches will set it off if they open a door, the tailgate, hood, or tool box lid.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by salans7
That stinks! I dislike thief's.

Haven’t had any gas stolen for awhile. Have a camera and better lights now.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Out of an abundance of caution, I removed my audio stuff (except for the head unit) since whoever was in there last night probably saw it and might try to come back for it.

I'll probably look into a security system if I put the audio stuff back in. Would be nice to have the pin switches on the doors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good plan.  My Code Alarm wasn't expensive but took a bit of time wiring in.  It has an ignition-kill relay since you can easily bump-start a vehicle with a manual tranny so a starter-interrupt relay doesn't really do much.  And the impact sensor.  Plus door locks.  And pin switch monitoring.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
Consider a wifi security camera.
Especially if your wifi reaches out to where your vehicles are parked.
You could even put the camera in your vehicle.....

You can set it up to send a notification to your phone if it detects motion.
If you got something like an Arlo or Ring camera you could hear the intruders and speak to them in real time.

Short of paying a subscription, footage could be recorded as cheap as an addressable hard drive on your Ethernet. (I'm seeing a 4Tb WD Red Plus for $60 on Amazon)

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Good plan.  My Code Alarm wasn't expensive but took a bit of time wiring in.  It has an ignition-kill relay since you can easily bump-start a vehicle with a manual tranny so a starter-interrupt relay doesn't really do much.  And the impact sensor.  Plus door locks.  And pin switch monitoring.
Both of my Rangers are equipped with PATS/Securilock, so the fuel injectors are dead until it sees the right key code. Bump starting is a non-issue for me. I really just want it to make a bunch of noise when the doors are opened, or the windows are smashed.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
Consider a wifi security camera.
Especially if your wifi reaches out to where your vehicles are parked.
You could even put the camera in your vehicle.....

You can set it up to send a notification to your phone if it detects motion.
If you got something like an Arlo or Ring camera you could hear the intruders and speak to them in real time.

Short of paying a subscription, footage could be recorded as cheap as an addressable hard drive on your Ethernet. (I'm seeing a 4Tb WD Red Plus for $60 on Amazon)
I have one on the front of my house facing the front door, and one behind my house facing where I normally park the trucks. Of course I parked the truck in a blind spot, so no footage. I probably will invest in two more for the dead zones.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My Code Alarm comes with its own siren, but it has an option to also honk the horn.  I have it set to that and it makes quite a fuss when it triggers - as I well know.  The other day I set the alarm and then realized I needed to put something in the bed.  Since the bed cover was closed I opened the tailgate.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad to know your system is well tested and Gary-approved.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll tell a little story on myself regarding said alarm system.  The other day I set the alarm and then immediately opened one of the tool box lids and the alarm didn't go off.  I tried it a time or two more with the same results, but ran out of time and moved on to something else.

Today I decided to figure out what was wrong.  Knowing that it worked properly before I spliced into the circuit going to the toolbox pin switches but didn't after I added the tailgate switch to that circuit I pulled everything apart, including pulling the wires off the pin switches and taking the magnetic switch for the tailgate off.  But testing that circuit proved that everything was connected correctly.  

And then I remembered that there's a delay in the system after you set it to allow you to get all of the doors and other openings closed.  So I set the alarm, counted to five, and opened the toolbox lid.  Sure enough, the alarm sounded.  I've now put everything back together.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
With everything you've done to the truck, it can't be easy to remember the ins and outs of everything you've installed. It happens to the best of us.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
FROZEN ANTI FREEZE! nope. not gonna happen. not for me. I hear a beach calling my name and saying "we got beer"
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
mat in tn wrote
FROZEN ANTI FREEZE!
What's going on Matt?

Did you get so much low under the freezing point?  🥶
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I live in the south for a reason! Actually, it is by choice. really, I like both but only if I can keep warm. last week at this time it was well below freezing and today it is in the sixties. It does get cold enough here, but it doesn't stay too long. I'm originally from new England and I remember living with snow for extended periods. I even go back for a snow fix occasionally. like running a primitive biathlon in Jeffersonville VT. in January. I wish that one was still going on.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I am also very worried about thiefs, there is a "crack house" on the corner.  They broke into Brutus and stole the tow chain, fortunately i got that back.  Everything was out of place and it kind of gives you this feeling of being molested somehow.  Since then, both Brutus and the Ranchero have alarms.  We have the ranchero set up to where if you just lift the handle to see it it's unlocked, it will set it off.  Definately have plans on a wifi camera.  We live in a trailer, and we also own a house that is on the other side of the neighbor which is where the Ranchero lives, and with that sound system thats in that thing, i know its a matter of time which is why Nick set the alarm up on the door handles as well, better then broken glass.   These crack heads around here go up and down the street trying door handles.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Ordered the new intake today, i think it should be by the weekend, but somehow i doubt it, but with the new year comes more vacation time.  I see a vacation day or 2 in my future.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Got eh new intake installed, new valve cover gaskets and the carburetor set on top.  First thing i noticed right off the bat.  I wanted to see if the accelerator and cruise control cable would fit, they did.  Always since we've owned this car, the gas pedal was always a bit hard to  push and sat to close to the floor, hence you could never floor it so to speak.  Since i attached it to the holley, I have pedal and it's the way it is supposed to be.  Thats a head scratcher there.  I had started looking around for a new cable, but dosen't look like i'll need one right now.

Nick and George
Owned since new
1 ... 87888990919293 ... 134