2282 messages Options
1 ... 85868788899091 ... 115
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

85lebaront2
Administrator
Now you know why I liked the 430, 1958 models were 375 hp @ 4800 rpm and 490 ft-lbs @ 3100 rpm. The one I had was a one time NASCAR engine, probably run in a Square Bird as the headers that came with it would only clear the T-bird all the way forward on the block location.

Unknown compression .030 over, solid lifter cam and ports you could almost reach in and grab a valve stem through. Most of those engines idled around 450-500 rpm in gear, this one wouldn't idle much lower than around 650 or it would stumble coming off idle. I had one of the 1961-63 Lincoln AFBs on it and used a single coupling Hydra-matic with a Transdapt adapter.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's strong!  But were those ratings gross or net?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Those were gross and for comparison the 440 Chrysler engines gross ratings in 1970 were quite similar values, 375 hp @ 4600 rpm and 480 ft-lbs @ 3200 rpm.

They were not light nor compact, bore spacing is the same as a 385 series, the block is a deep skirt design as were all early OHV Ford V8s (Y-block, FE, MEL). Crank is huge and early engines had forged steel ones. Fuel pump was up on the top of the timing cover and many Lincoln versions used a Vickers direct drive power steering pump (early 460s used the same one which is the reason for the spacer behind the balancer).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought they might be gross #'s.

And I didn't know that the early 460's had a direct drive PS pump.  Interesting!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This is more of a rant, but also a beware for anybody purchasing large items from Ebay or other sources requiring shipping.

I believe wholeheartedly that this issue is due to rising fuel costs and shipping charges but that's just my opinion.

Recently I purchased the below products for my 2002 Ford Ranger. The upper panel was painted by a third party, and then shipped to me. Keep in mind these items were brought from two separate entities.

Both of these items are plastic. The top section is painted, the bottom is textured and black. These are NOT the type of plastic you can bend and expect it to return to it's former shape without stretching. Unfortunately, these two sellers are confused and ignorant to this, as one of them included literature referring to the special type of flexible bumper plastic that these pieces are NOT made of. BOTH of these sellers' shipping teams felt it was perfectly acceptable to FOLD the bumper plastics to fit them into a smaller box. Not only do these bumper plastics not respond well to this, but BOTH pieces show visible signs of stretching where they were folded (plastic turned white). Once I unpacked them, I had to set them in front of a space heater in order to heat up the creased sections so that I could reform them back to the correct shape. I also had to heat them with a heat gun to try and hide the discoloring from the stretching and although that worked for the most part, I can still tell the difference up close.

I should not have to put that kind of work into something I paid close to $500 on. I would have gladly paid another $100 to cover the increase in shipping if it meant they would not fold the bumper sections.

Shipping prices keep increasing every year, so I only expect this kind of situation to become more common as companies try to find new ways to decrease their shipping expenditures.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is horrible, Shaun!  Sorry for your problems!

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
That is horrible, Shaun!  Sorry for your problems!
Thanks Gary, it is what it is. Everything looks fine from a distance and the paint on this truck is far from perfect anyway, but it's just frustrating knowing so many companies are willing to cut corners like that.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That looks good. But it is ridiculous how some things are shipped.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks Dane!
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Went to go find a picture of the wooden armrest(s) I had in my F150, and then went down memory lane, and fell down pretty hard when I looked back at the pictures of that truck. Wish I could have seen it with the eyes I have now because I definitely would have kept it around. I would have scrapped the 400/BBC6 and thrown in a cheap 302 and SBC6 and just drive the thing. It had some rust issues but nothing that would have kept it from driving down the road.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice truck!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
I was appalled when I saw you were selling that truck.  In fact, if I remember correctly I contacted you about it, but you were sure you were "moving on".

However, you are "back" and that's what counts.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
I was appalled when I saw you were selling that truck.  In fact, if I remember correctly I contacted you about it, but you were sure you were "moving on".

However, you are "back" and that's what counts.  
I still remember it. I basically wiped my slate clean and spent the better part of two years traveling all over Florida on the weekends with a good friend. I knew the truck was just gonna sit for even longer and I felt at that point it was better to let it go. I knew it was only good for a parts rig, but I figured somebody would take what they need and then scrap the rest. I didn't think that the guy who bought it was an Ebay seller and that I would come across parts from it during my Ebay searches for the next ten years.

Last pic I ever took. Hard to believe that was already five years ago.

You are correct though; I am back stronger than ever with three trucks that like to take all of my spare time and money.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
So, in another thread, the topic of diesels outlasting gasoline, and prepping came up. I won't get into the reasons for prepping, as that borders religion and politics, but I would like to discuss hardening my 7.3 against EMP or a solar kill shot CME

Anyone happen to have information on Air Starters for the 7.3 International? I've seen a few Google results that lead to other forum discussions like this, talking about air starters on 7.3 powered Alaskan generators and such....but I've not found any part numbers, manufacturers etc.

The idea is to be able to start the truck in extreme cold, or after a nuclear EMP or Solar CME.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Boy, we're preparing here for this giant storm, we're about to fall in winter in a strong and instant way.  But here (Quebec) we use to deal with snow and cold temperatures.

But looking at the news, seems that a lot of our US friends are under very unusual temps for them.  Lot of you guys are supposed to have mild temps (around 45-50°F) and are now as low as 10°F.

Hoping everybody is ok.
🤞
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
We're pretty used to it here (Minnesota) as well.  But this morning it's -12°F, and the windchill today is supposed to be -40°.  We deal with that by staying inside!

And at least it's sunny.  Sunny winter days here are usually cold, but they are nicer to look at through a window!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We might be some of the ones that should be 45 -50F, but yesterday we saw -1F, snow, and windchill of -20. And we had doctors appointments. So we left an hour early, took Blue, and put him in auto 4wd. Drove slowly and only had one corner where it didn’t want to turn, but just a touch of throttle brought it around. Got home an hour early and hibernated!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Yeah, it's super cold this morning. Just went and checked on the chickens. The roo is starting to get frostbite on his combs. It happened to him last year too.

I think it's -28 here.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
My frosted barn.
Horses stayed in today.
🥶

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Beautiful photo Jeff!  

Here (north of NYC) it is still raining though not as hard or windy as yesterday.
Calling for single digits (F) overnight so I expect a lot of black ice in the morning.  

I do feel for those farther south who aren't really prepared for the cold they're seeing.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 85868788899091 ... 115