classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2212 messages Options
1 ... 89909192939495 ... 111
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

86 1/2 Brutus
The 351L7 is a Keith Black design engine.  I have the documenttion somewhere, if i can find it, ill share it.  If you remember back in the 80's.  Just about every town had 1 cop car that nothing could catch.  
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I found it, it goes to the pre filter on the factory air cleaner.  
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right
But is the factory 2V air cleaner going to fit a four barrel carburetor?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Yes, the air cleaner does fit, but i cant use it, i wont be able to close the hood.  I'm thinking about rigging something up like a lawnmower prefilter or something to connect to that
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's a bummer.  😐

How much taller is the new intake over the old one?
Could you use a factory filter housing with a deeper drop base?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Nick really wanted to take the factory air cleaner and do a double snorkle thing like they had in the late 60's.  When we put it on, the hood does close, but there is absolutely no clearence whatsoever and am afraid when you hit the gas, the engine is going to jump and will either dent the hood or break the carburetor or both.  I'm using right now a little cheap chrome air cleaner that is a tad shorter then the factory one.  I'm looking at an oval shaped one with a skinny air filter that looks like it will do the trick..  If i can get my hands on a hood ( kicking myself for getting rid of my other ranchero and my LTDII 10 years ago)  i'm going to put a hood scoop but only if i can find another hood.    the carb sits up there pretty high.  the intake is a low rise, but when comparing it to the ford intake that came from a junk yard that was on it, its much taller.  

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
I found it, it goes to the pre filter on the factory air cleaner.
🤔  Addressing this...
You don't use a second PCV valve. A PCV is a one way check valve.
You need an open plastic elbow on the "pre-filter" side.

I'm sorry your filter housing is t going to work out.
If you get stuck with an open element drop filter find yourself a oil fill cap that incorporates a mesh or pleated filter to keep dust and grit out of the oil.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there were also oil filler caps which had a filter element in them with a fresh air tube going to the air cleaner housing, my 351m has one and that type of thing may work.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep, this is what I have.
I bought NOS from U-Haul's eBay storefront a few years back.
They were under $5 delivered.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I think that is how mine works.  pcv valve in oil cap, connected to vacuum.  then the one in he back i was going to put a filter screen being it has the neck to connect the hose.  Or do you think it would be better the other way with the filter screen in the cap and the pcv valve on the back other cover?.     It's not like i can drive it right now.  We got it running, no leaks, well except the high preasure power steering hose.  Always something
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'll probably never figure out what this was, because its now gone but i cant help but wonder.  As you know, I replaced the intake manifold and put a new ( to me ) Holley 4160 carb on it.  Was finally able to get the engine started and have nothing, except power steering leaking.   Without doing anything at all to the carb, the car starts and runs.  The engine runs nice and quiet.  By quiet i mean, before the new intake and carb, I had a factory intake and a 2150 carb, the engine always had a tippy tap and always sounded like it was coming from the carburetor.  Some years back i had to change the 2150 and replaced it with another one with the same tippy tap ( sounds like lifters tapping )  with the new intake and the 4160, no tippy tap.  Any ideas?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
was the previous intake and carb the type to have an egr plate also? does the new setup have egr?
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
no egr on the new setup
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
but is it possible that you had an exhaust tick from an egr plate gasket before?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
we had an rv come in for a little revival last year. it had been sitting for a long, long time as many do. 85 e350 chassis with 460/c6 and a four corner idle holley original carb. the extended gasket around the exhaust portion was missing. burned away. I replaced it before I ran it so I cannot say how much noise it might have made.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by mat in tn
That is what i'm thinking it was, you could hear the tick inside the carburetor
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I had a terrible dream last night where I brought my Bronco to a restoration shop and they decided to go hog wild with anything left vague or unspecified on the list of work I wanted performed and then demanded $30,000 when it was finished. The interior was tan instead of teal, they put in an automatic transmission, a carb'd V8, and the restoration was of poor quality.

Unrelated, but is there a way to reply to threads without replying to a specific post? ie avoiding the "In reply to this post" message that pops up whenever I post and because of that I typically pick the original post to reply to
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, just hit the reply button on the most recent post.

Today I switched auto insurance carriers. My premiums went down by about $500 (per 6month), and none of my coverage limits changed. Funny how that works.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimJam300
Yes, as Shaun said just hit Reply on the last post in a thread.  But, since I wanted to look at your post while replying I am replying to it.  That way I can see what you said.

And, what you said is a nightmare!  

I have been quite worried about parking Big Blue in hotel parking lots, in spite of having the security system on it.  Yes, I know he's very, very well insured.  But I couldn't replace him.  It has taken me soooooo long to get him where I want him, and I just don't think I could do that again.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I recently switched insurance carriers. So did my son.

USAA, and I’m impressed with the savings!

Also, my son just bought a 2023 Mazda CX 30. Nice car. Surprised that it was just under $25K.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
1 ... 89909192939495 ... 111