classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Soon to be Bullnose Owner

chirkware
This post was updated on .
I joined the forum as I'm hoping to pick up this 84 (EDIT…correction, 1986) F-150 4x4 soon as a project.  Hoping to eventually be able to daily drive it (I've just got a 2.5 mile commute, so gas mileage isn't a concern).  I'm not new to Ford trucks, as I grew up with a 70 Bumpside that my dad bought new (been mine since 99), but this will be my first Bullnose, and my first Ford 4x4 (I've missed having a 4x4 since wrecking my Nissan Hardbody a couple years back).

The truck has a 351W and automatic transmission (C6?).  Current owner is a mechanic who I've recently gotten to know pretty well (he runs a shop that specializes in classic car restorations).  He bought it 10 years or more ago as a project and just hasn't gotten to it as customer projects are his priority.  

Truck was driven to the spot it sits about three years ago, and the transmission was going out, so he's gonna pull it and have his guy rebuild it for me.  Beyond that, I plan to pull all the plugs and let the cylinders soak in some Marvel Mystery Oil before trying to crank it.  I know the brakes will need to be gone over.

Before I commit, I'm gonna crawl up under it and get a good look at the frame and the condition of the bed (it has a drop in bed liner unfortunately, so that's a concern).  I know the drivers side rocker panel has some rust, and it looks like the bottom of the passenger door does as well.  

Looks to have 10" wheels right now.  I'll probably try to find some good OEM 7" alloy wheels (not sure if Bullnose trucks had those, or just the later OBS trucks), and go back to 235/75-R15 tires since I'll use it on the road mostly.  My desire for a 4x4 is to work, not play, so mud tires aren't something I care about.  I'm sure the rubber is pretty rotten anyway.

Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Soon to be Bullnose Owner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Nice truck.  Should be a good project.  

Good plan on the tranny, which should be a C6 as Ford didn't put the AOD behind the 351W.  And soaking the cylinders is good as well.

I think an '84 will still have rubber fuel lines, so check them over.  The rubber used then doesn't like ethanol and the lines go bad and leak, which kills the ability to pump fuel some times.  And don't miss that there are hoses from the tank to the hard lines.

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or a zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks!

Yes, I'll definitely replace any rubber I can on the truck, especially fuel and brake hoses.  I'll probably run 100% gas as much as possible in the truck since it has a carb (I try to avoid ethanol in all things with carbs). Thankfully, there are two stations between my office and my house that sell non-ethanol fuel, so it's easy to find around here and usually runs about 50 cents extra over 87.

Out of curiosity...is there an automatic with overdrive that would work behind the 351W on a 4x4 without a lot of mods?  I don't have a lot of highway plans for the truck, but it might be worth a swap if it's not overly complicated since the tranny has to be rebuilt anyway.

I'll be looking to order stuff to rebuild brakes soon too...I was looking on Rock Auto, and was surprised not to see 2wd vs 4wd on the brake stuff.  I would have assumed the shoes/drums and pads/calipers were different for a 4x4, but maybe not?

EDIT:  Location = Lenoir City, Tennessee, 37772.  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by chirkware
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
First, you are now on the map.  

Second, you can confirm the brakes from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes.  But I do think 2wd and 4wd take the same parts, although I'm not sure of that.

And you are wise to use ethanol-free gas when you can.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
You have the same drivetrain as me......351W, C6 Auto Trans, 4x4.... I don't believe there is an inexpensive option for moving into an overdrive transmission in our trucks. I looked into it sometime back and it was more money and work than I wanted to mess with. Frankly, you'd probably be better going with a stick, but there would still be substantial costs there as well.

Welcome to the site!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On drum brakes most if not all stores will ask for the size: Dia. by how wide the shoes are.
Front pads you may not have but 1 to pick from on a 4x4 but I am not sure as I dont have a 4x4.

I can tell you on the 4x2 F100 trucks of the same year (1981) and even the same GVW (4700) can have 2 different drum brake sizes and 2 different pad / caliper sizes and to top it off 2 different wheel bolt patterns!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
You have the same drivetrain as me......351W, C6 Auto Trans, 4x4.... I don't believe there is an inexpensive option for moving into an overdrive transmission in our trucks. I looked into it sometime back and it was more money and work than I wanted to mess with. Frankly, you'd probably be better going with a stick, but there would still be substantial costs there as well.

Welcome to the site!
Thanks!  Probably best I not start planning modifications before I even get the truck, so I think I'll just be happy with the C6.  I really doubt I'll ever be going faster than 65-70 in it, and probably usually 45 or less given where I drive.

I'm curious...how's the gas mileage on yours?  My old Nissan Hardbody 4x4, believe it or not, only got about 12-15 and it was a 4 banger, so I don't expect much given this is much bigger and, I expect, heavier.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Well I have to correct myself…it’s an 86, not an 84.

That explains the 351w…when I was previously looking at the VIN decoding info, it didn’t show a 351w in 1984.

VIN decoder says it would be EFI, but it now has a Holly four barrel.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
When are you getting it?

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
When are you getting it?
Next few weeks hopefully.  I went by and looked it over real good today.  The mechanic who currently owns it is gonna put it up to his shop, drop the tranny, and have his guy rebuild it for me.  Timing of getting it is just how fast they can get that done.  I told him today I'll bring him cash, as I understand he's not going to touch it until he knows its sold.  I plan to take him a deposit in the next few days.  We've got a good relationship so that should be enough to get the ball rolling.

I was quite happy when I looked it over closer today to see that it's an XLT and had factory AC (even has cruise control on the steering wheel).  The seat is just starting to crack on the drivers seat, and the pedals show very little wear, so I'm thinking it doesn't have a ton of miles.  Odometer reads 41k, and I'm guessing it just rolled the one time.  

Looked up under it and the bed looks solid (I'll be removing the liner once I get it home).

I'll need to replace the tailgate, it has pretty bad rust through at the bottom.  Haven't been able to get it to open as the handle is frozen stuck.  I applied a nice liberal amount of PB Blaster to it to see if it'll unstick.  

Insurance papers I found in the glovebox are from 2005...yeah it's been sitting a while.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You will probably find several issues once you start driving it.  But they are things you can work through.  

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Found a really “professional” exhaust repair already. 😂
Edit…not sure why the picture posted upside down. 🤷‍♂️

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Called the seller yesterday told him I had good news and bad news.  Good news was I had the cash in hand to buy the truck.  Bad news was I just left the doctor with a positive COVID test, so I couldn't bring him the cash.  Doh!

He's fine waiting on the cash since we have a good relationship, and he's gonna pull the transmission next week.  I'm fine, I just feel like I have a cold.  I honestly went to the doctor thinking I had a sinus and/or ear infection, which would have made sense as I've been working out in the cold a lot at the house after work (I'm slowly building an 8x16 storage shed) over the past couple of weeks.  

Anyway, I had gone and looked the truck over some more a couple days ago before committing to the purchase.  Here's a walk around I did of the truck.  Didn't think to pop the hood for the video unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/bSTwiL1IKzE
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice looking truck.  A little patina and a little surface rust, but overall pretty good.  And I see a cassette player - those are rare.

Let's put your video here to make it easier for folks.  I just hit Share on Youtube, copied the "embed" code, clicked the "Embed" button above and then the Embed Codes button, and the pasted the code between the ">" and "<" of the tags.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh yes!  Sorry about the COVID!  Hope you get well quickly!

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
love the truck!  looking forward to seeing your progress.  
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Oh yes!  Sorry about the COVID!  Hope you get well quickly!
Thanks! If they hadn't told me this was covid, I'd have just thought (I did just think) I had a cold or maybe a sinus infection. I'm very blessed that it's very mild for me so far.  I know many who were not so lucky. That said, this video was the day before the diagnosis, and, watching it, it sounds like I'm out of breath while taking the video, and I didn't even realize it!

I noticed that cassette player you mentioned but assumed it was aftermarket. Is that factory? Here's a screenshot of it from the video.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad yours is a mild case.  Some aren't so lucky.  I was just informed today that the owner of the local auto parts store passed away from COVID.  I knew David quite well.  

You may be right that the stereo is after market.  Here's the best shot I can find of the one Ford supplied, and it doesn't look the same:

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Sorry for your friend Gary.  I spare a thought for his loved ones and relatives.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.