Soon to be Bullnose Owner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Soon to be Bullnose Owner

FuzzFace2
On the tank if you are going to look inside you need to look at the top of the tank besides the bottom.
My 2 tanks looked good through the sender holes but once I got the truck on the road I needed to pull the top off the carb and it had really fine rust in the bottom.
It made it pass 2 filters and 1 was pretty packed with rust and cant believe it let fuel through.

Thing is I dont know what tank has the rust and I dont want to replace both not so much the $$$ but it being a pain as it not so easy to remove the bed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the tanks do come out the bottom
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
mat in tn wrote
the tanks do come out the bottom
I know as I had to drop the rear one because the float on the new sender took on gas and stopped working.
I also did not want to undo the filler necks because I have the air vents working great for fill ups, no kick back / off when filling on the fast setting.
I also dont have a lift so it's all on my back under the truck.

The only thing nice having 2 tanks you can run 1 out of gas before dropping it
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
all true. I am currently in the same situation. two new pumps in my 86 and neither one wants to read correctly. very aggravating. the rear i filled up to verify and it did Not read full. until a mile later it seemed to read full then by the time, I had driven only 30 miles it was back to only a needle width above empty.  I have ohmed and checked all i can think of and even grounded the wire and the gauge goes exactly as it should. all other gauges work correctly too. this truck has been a long-term build so I'm certain they are out of warranty even though they have only 50 miles on them.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
I hope I won't end up needing to pull the bed on this truck, but it wouldn't be my first time...

Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
bed removal is no mystery. it's just involved and bulky. and it is made more finicky with everything having new paint
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
This is mostly just for my documentation…went by and measured…wheels are 8.5”, in spec for 235/75-r15.

Also gas tank is ~56” long, so it’s the 19 gallon tank if a replacement is needed. Looks like I can disconnect rubber line going to fuel pump to drain the tank.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like to document things here as well.  Much easier to find than my note pad.   
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
I like to document things here as well.  Much easier to find than my note pad.  
Yep, I posted that while I was still there before I had a chance to forget.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
It’s taken way longer than I hoped, but sounds like we’ll have the transmission back from the shop in the next few days.

Doing some reading…I came across a discussion of replacing the rear main seal, and the need to pull the transmission or engine to do that. Since the transmission is out, we’re gonna plan to do that before it goes back in since the hard part is already done.

Any thing else a guy outta just do while the transmission is out anyway?  4wd with a 351w and a C6.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Replacing the rear main is not an easy task in the vehicle, even with the tranny out.  One guy said "If I ever think about doing that again with the engine in the vehicle I'll pour gasoline on it and set it on fire!"

I've actually done it, and I'll not do it again in the vehicle.  Instead I'll pull the engine, and since you are already part way there that would be my recommendation to you - assuming the rear main needs to be replaced.  But if it isn't leaking, or isn't leaking quite a bit, I'd leave it alone.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
truly let need make up your mind. pull the flexplate and look closely. even take as good of a picture as possible before you touch anything and before you clean anything. I will go ahead and say that a leaking rear main is a sign of future issues. age is certainly one of the factors and if it is age then one of the seal conditioner products may be a better option. I don't want to be a damper at all. however, there are a few things to consider. number one is whether or not you are comfortable doing this. if you score the crank surface you will need a repair sleeve (which if you have a groove worn into the surface you will need to sleeve it as well). another consideration is the engines mileage. whether you are intending a rebuild in the near future or not. etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Well after a Covid supply chain delay order of magnitude wait...

"Larry the Lariat" is finally at my house.

I hope to get it running off a bottle over the weekend (been amor there years since it "ran when parked") and then I'll go through the fuel system to see what it's gonna need. I'm assuming I'll probably end up needing to replace the tank since it has sat for years.

It has a freshly built C6 now, which was the delay as it was a "when you have a chance" kind of a job being done as a favor/cheap.

I imagine I can talk my son into giving it a good pressure washing. He usually enjoys doing that.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you finally got it home, and that the tranny was rebuilt. Hopefully it will start up easily.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
I'll post one last time here to point to my project thread on this site where I plan to post progress:

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td125403%7Ca125510