Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Soon to be Bullnose Owner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  I appreciate it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad yours is a mild case.  Some aren't so lucky.  I was just informed today that the owner of the local auto parts store passed away from COVID.  I knew David quite well.  
So sorry to hear of your friend. It is so sad to hear of all those this virus has taken. I know several who have lost loved ones to it. I lost an aunt who, ironically, got covid while hospitalized after falling and breaking her leg. One of my childhood friends lost his father.

We almost lost my mother-in-law to covid a few months ago, but thankfully she was able to come home from the hospital after several weeks. My wife, who is an RN, was able to go stay with her parents and give her mom lots of one on one care once she was home.

I am certainly blessed to have just a mild case so far. I've got to force myself to take the next few days to just rest rather than be the stubborn male and try to use my quarantine time to get work around the house done (I REALLY want to get back to work on my shed project, lol!).
Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  This virus is awful.  Many have lost friends and loved ones, or had them damaged to the point of needing surgery for heart problems or oxygen for lung problems.  And right now the #'s of new cases here in Okiehoma are exploding.

As said on another thread, I was to have the windows tinted on Big Blue over the weekend, and the guy came by to see the truck on Friday night.  I saw him pull in and went out as as I did he put a mask on, saying he was starting to feel poorly.  I put my mask on and we stayed outside the whole time and didn't get close.  The next day he texted and has come down with COVID.

Stay safe!  Take all precautions, and if you get it take the time to recover fully.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm off quarantine just yesterday. Stayed out of Church because I didn't want anyone feeling uncomfortable in my presence, mask or no mask. Like you, felt like I had a cold. A few years ago, would have likely gone to work with it. Lasted about three days....headache, sore throat, cough, runny nose, and achy. These are the symptoms of the new omicron variant. Walked up some stairs yesterday and noted I tired easy and was breathing hard. Hopefully, not longstanding.

Nice truck! Looks like you're going to need a new tailgate and some work in the cab corners. I'm really surprised not to see rust in the rear fender wells. Lots of potential to turn it into a very nice truck though. It's white too, easy color to learn to paint with, should you venture that far.  

You asked me about fuel mileage in my truck which has the same driveline. Honestly, I don't know. I've not put a lot of effort into figuring it out. I'll be looking into that closer in the near future.

Get well soon and keep us posted on the truck!  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Well slow but important progress today. It’s officially mine now as he got the cash and I got the title.

But it’s still sitting at his shop awaiting getting the tranny pulled for a rebuild. I’ll patiently wait on the rebuild but I guess I can start gathering parts now. I plan to go through the brakes and replace all the hoses, belts, etc.

Meanwhile, I can’t seem to get the hood to open.  I watched the guy I bought it from open it a few weeks ago, and now I reach in and try to pull the latch and it feels like it’s hung (and yes I pulled the release in the cab). Not sure what’s going on with that and it may just be I’m doing something wrong. lol

BTW: Finally feel like I’ve turned the corner on this whole Covid thing. Really got me worse than I expected. As this point, the occasional hacking cough has gotten old, and I’m just tired and…here’s a weird one…hungry all the time. I literally just ate half a dominos pizza ten minutes ago and I’m hungry! Every night as I’m trying to fall asleep my belly is begging for food even though I ate a good dinner. It’s weird, and I’ve read online of others experiencing this. (Thankfully I can taste what I eat!) I’m not sure this will be good for the diet I need to be on.

Question: are these wheels factory or aftermarket? Trying to figure out what width they are. Currently have 31x10.5R15LT on them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congratulations!  

On the hood, have you released the second latch?  It is with your left hand.  And if so, have you tried pushing down slightly on the hood as you release the second one?

And yes, I think those are factory wheels.  I have a set on Dad's truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Sorry. I dont think those are factory wheels but a commercial version of them. They look to be made by western wheels. There are no mounting holes for the factoy center caps. If they were factory they would be 7” but it possible they are 8”.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Congratulations!  

On the hood, have you released the second latch?  It is with your left hand.  And if so, have you tried pushing down slightly on the hood as you release the second one?

And yes, I think those are factory wheels.  I have a set on Dad's truck.

So I found this video of a tour of an 82 F100, and this link should take you to the point where they pop the hood:  https://youtu.be/cWc1EJm2erU?t=185

Thing is, when I pull the release in the cab, the hood does not pop up like that at all.  In fact, it doesn't appear anything happens, so I'm thinking maybe that release mechanism is jammed.  I can't even reach my hand into the area under the hood where the handle in the video is.  It did work recently.  The only thing I can put my hand on is the "box" that can be reached with my right hand through the grill, but I'm thinking that's just the other end of the mechanism that is activated from inside the cab.

Any differences in an 86 hood release, or is it the same as in this video?  
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
Sorry. I dont think those are factory wheels but a commercial version of them. They look to be made by western wheels. There are no mounting holes for the factoy center caps. If they were factory they would be 7” but it possible they are 8”.
Yeah the center cap says Western on them.  They do look very similar to the factory wheels, but I notice that the valve stem comes out on the flat part of the wheel whereas the factory wheels have the valve stem on the "step" just slightly further out (if that makes sense).  

I'm guessing these wheels are wider than the factory, HOPEFULLY no more than 8" wide, as I'm wanting to go back to 235/75R15 tires on this truck.  Partly because...well I'm cheap, and I need tires for my 70 F100 too. I don't want to buy for both, so I want to end up with one good set of wheels and tires I can move between the two trucks (they'll usually be on this truck, but they'll go on my 70 when I need to take it places like to the F100 Supernationals that is less than 60 miles from my house).  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
After looking more closely I think you are right.  Those are different from mine.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by chirkware
I would try pushing down on the hood then pulling the handle again, if it opens lube the latch.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
grumpin wrote
I would try pushing down on the hood then pulling the handle again, if it opens lube the latch.
Right.  Or the latch may need to be adjusted a bit looser.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
In reply to this post by chirkware
chirkware wrote
Found a really “professional” exhaust repair already. 😂
Good point. You're right. A real professional wouldn't have mixed aluminum with steel cuz they don't like each other.

re Stereo:
Back in the day, there was a battle between aftermarket stereo installers and the dealers. I don't remember the details but it ended up something like the new card dealers couldn't force the buyer to buy their stereo system.

Our '85 came with the entry-level AM/FM radio and we replaced with the top-of-the-line Pioneer system with the then popular CD. One of the local car clubs requires the vehicle to be "original" and this qualifies due to it being the same model year.

By the way, the '85 (and '86) in Washington qualifies for classic car plates which is a one-time registration (rules in your state may vary). The rules are that it isn't to be used as a daily driver, but on the other hand, one needs to keep the battery charged and the tires not to have flat spots, so how one does this, as they say, "one's mileage may vary." One other onerous rule is that one can't carry anything in the bed (but then there is nighttime and peak hour traffic).

We've got the original license plates from when it was new, but it is possible to find vintage plates for sale on-line.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks for the tips! Got the hood open today by having my son pull the release while I pushed down on the hood. Popped right up after that. Lubed the release mechanism so it hopefully won't stick again.

I think Ole Blue was a little jealous of the attention I was giving to another truck. 😆

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it open.  But you may find that you have to adjust it up a bit if the lube doesn't let it pop open when you pull the handle.  Sometimes if the adjustment is too tight it won't release.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
Glad you got it open.  But you may find that you have to adjust it up a bit if the lube doesn't let it pop open when you pull the handle.  Sometimes if the adjustment is too tight it won't release.
I had my son pop it after I lubed it, and I used a screwdriver to simulate the hood closing. Repeated several times and added a bit more lube (ok, type F transmission fluid since it was handy, 😆 ). Gave it a try for real a time or two afterwards and it seems pretty smooth now. Lubed the hood hinges for good measure.

Now that I got a good look at the belts and hoses I know what I need to buy.

Either this top rad hose dates to 1986, or it was serviced with genuine parts...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The hose looks old, so I think I'd replace it.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Still waiting to bring this truck home.

Transmission got pulled a couple Saturdays ago so we are waiting on the transmission guy to get to it.

I need to drain the old gas out of the tank (single tank, “midship” I guess). Any tips on an easy way to drain that tank? I think on my bump I was able to just disconnect a hose and gravity did the rest. I haven’t crawled up under it to examine the fuel system too close since laying on gravel doesn’t feel good. lol. I need to take some cardboard with me next time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You’ll need enough hose to get below tank level, so the best place to pull the hose would be at the fuel pump.

Hope that works for you. But a rusty tank is a huge pain, so my recommendation would be to drain the gas to make dropping the tank easier and then drop and replace the tank.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks Gary! I need to go drain it and drop it so I can see what condition it is in. Thankfully it doesn’t look like they are too expensive.