classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OUR NEW NAME AGAIN - PLEASE VOTE!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As part of the upcoming move to InVision we are going to incorporate as a 501c7 non-profit.  In doing so we have to have an official name, so this poll is to get your input on what name to use.

However, as we do this I think it is time to get away from the garysgaragemahal URL and use one that fits our name.  Until today we only had two reserved: bullnosebible.com & bullnoseenthusiasts.com.  But Chris suggested we pick up bullnosetrucks.org, so I did. I think our name should basically be basically one of those.

However, in Oklahoma the name of a corporation must contain one of these words: association; company; corporation; club; foundation; fund; incorporated; institute; society; union; syndicate; or limited.  To me only "association", "club", and "society" seem to work for us, although if you think otherwise please let me know.

Anyway, that gives these combinations as options, although I don't care for the "bible" combinations.  Anyway, please vote.
Which name should we use?
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OUR NEW NAME AGAIN - PLEASE VOTE!

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry,
I'll vote when I care one bit
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I voted for "Bullnose Enthusiasts Club".

I didn't like any of the "bible" names because with the word "bible" next to "club", "association" or "society" it sounds like it's a Bible club rather than a Bullnose club.  That seems very misleading and confusing.

I voted for "Bullnose Enthusiasts" rather than "Bullnose Trucks" because some of us don't have a bullnose truck, but we're still enthusiasts, so that name seems more inclusive.

I don't have a strong feeling about "club", "association" or "society".  "Society" is my least favorite because it has connotations to me of being too high-brow, but I could certainly live with it.  I chose "club" over "association" simply because that's what everyone else was landing on.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Oh, and while I agree that moving away from the "garysgaragemahal.com" URL makes sense, I do think we ought to keep "Gary's Garagemahal" in some way, shape or form.  Gary, you may not agree with me on this (but if you don't, you're wrong! ), but I think that your role as founder of this whole thing should be memorialized.  This is your baby!  That's a huge part of why it is what it is.  We appreciate you for it and we shouldn't forget it.  The fact that you are the founder and that we appreciate what you've created is really the foundation of our (currently unwritten) constitution.

And yes, YOU created this.  We all helped build it into what it is now, but it's your creation.  That's important to know and to remember.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Good explanation for why you voted the way you did.  Your thinking is quite similar to mine, by the way.  

Concerning Gary's Garagemahal, perhaps we could immortalize that in an About page?  Maybe trace the history of that moniker, outline why I started a website, how that website morphed into the Bullnose library, when & why the forum was started, etc?

If that is worded correctly it will paint a picture of "community", which is what we are and what was, and still is, lacking elsewhere.  Voting on the name is just one example of that.  I know that many are interested in what we call ourselves and I don't want to make that decision w/o their input.

Which leads me to something I've been thinking about a lot - the board of directors.  A non-profit has to have a BoD and I want to set this one up with a few people who will help make decisions about the place.  For far too long I've been making those decisions by myself.  If we had one now they would have helped find a new platform, decide on the name, and helped me investigate how to become a non-profit.  And certainly they would have helped make the decision to hire a legal firm to make it happen.

So while it has been Gary's Garagemahal, I want it to be something more inclusive.  I want it to be a community of people who not only care about these vehicles but also care about each other.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, ??????  CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Maybe drop the S from trucks? Bullnose Truck Club. Or “The Bullnose Truck Club”. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
I don't care at all what the name becomes.

Though I may think one or the other suits better, I still don't care about something that will never matter to me.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
‘CLEAR’ over and out!  CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I voted Bullnose Enthusiast Club, for similarly stated reasons.
One thing I’d like to throw out there tho is, there are a (large?) number of folks that are aware of the monikers “Gary’s bullnose bible” “Garagemahel”, etc.
How are people going to find the new name when searching for the old name?
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, ‘95 4.9L, Sniper 2300 on an Offy C, ‘97 4R70W w/ Quick 4, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
C.Jett wrote
Maybe drop the S from trucks? Bullnose Truck Club. Or “The Bullnose Truck Club”. CJ
We could drop the "s" and make it Bullnose Truck Club.  I'm sure I could "buy" that URL and release the one with the "s".  So if Bullnose Trucks Club is the winner we can check to see what people want to do.

Tarheel Blue wrote
I voted Bullnose Enthusiast Club, for similarly stated reasons.
One thing I’d like to throw out there tho is, there are a (large?) number of folks that are aware of the monikers “Gary’s bullnose bible” “Garagemahel”, etc.
How are people going to find the new name when searching for the old name?
I think there are ways around that, although Chris/ckuske is probably the better one to answer it so I'll tag him.  But first, if we keep the URLs of garysgaragemahal.com and bullnosebible.com we can re-direct them to whatever the "new" URL is.  So all of their saved links would work.  

And a search for "bullnosebible" turns us up.  But I don't know what we need to do to ensure that continues, which is something I'm sure Chris can tell us - and why I've asked him to be our Technical Advisor.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
We can do DNS redirection at a minimum - meaning when people tried to go to garysgaragemahal.com, we would redirect their browser to go to a different domain name.  In this redirect mode, links being clicked from a search engine or third-party site wouldn't work - I think they would be redirected back to our sites home page, but I'm not positive.

Even better would be the ability to redirect the browser based on a "HTTP redirect", which would mean we could keep existing links working.  This may not be supported by Weebly - Gary, we would have to look in the Weebly settings.  My hunch is no.

Regarding showing up in searches - in the new site, we can add SEO phrases that refer to garysgaragemahal, bullnosebible, etc so when people search for that, the new site shows up in Google, Bing, etc.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control, 308,000+ miles - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Chris!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Counterpoint on "Trucks" vs "Enthusiasts": I voted for "Trucks Club" because there are lots of other "Bullnoses" out there that aren't us, mainly, a type of tile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullnose

We're not a bunch of tile enthusiasts, are we? (Or if we are, does this make us the (free)masons of the truck world???)

If I didn't think we'd end up in trademark jail, I'd almost wonder if "Ford" would be an appropriate word to add.

There are people who call SUVs trucks, so IMHO, "truck" covers Broncos too. "Owners" isn't in the tile, so owning one isn't "required" to be in, so that covers non-owners.

My $0.02.

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
I know I'm new here but will wade in, I do think Ratdude has a point.....so what about

Bullnose Truck Enthusiasts Club

Paul
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's pretty interesting how people will twist themselves in knots to tangentially comply with some arbitrary tax regulation.

I fail to grasp the point.

Thousands of members, and Gary especially, need to play Twister so he can fund this thing in perpetuity.

How long will any of us, or even 'forums' exist?
When was the last time you dialed into a BBS?
Over eight billion people on this planet all dependant on Haber-Bosch to survive the next growing season....

And 'we' need to trip over ourselves to change
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
Jim I'm too new here to fully grasp what all the issues are that moving to a higher cost provider will solve. But do see the higher costs being more of a burden and harder to sustain.

Paul
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh no, Paul, there there definitely costs involved in migrating The Forum to a more professional format.
It's absurdity of what kind of 501.3 we have to become an how we have to make up a name to conform to some capricious and arbitrary tax regulation.

It's the sort of thing that makes me want to shut the door and ignore it all.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Counterpoint on "Trucks" vs "Enthusiasts": I voted for "Trucks Club" because there are lots of other "Bullnoses" out there that aren't us, mainly, a type of tile.
LOL!  Larry, you’re right and let’s say that there’s couple or other things we call “bullnose” in architecture.
But I think this description should stay in the title, since it is the nickname of this 7th Ford trucks generation.

About this “truck” word, I too consider it is Bronco inclusive, but I can be wrong.

I voted to keep the “enthusiasm” side or our membership.  It involves the “active” status of members, it’s moving, it suggests kind of fun and happiness.  Ok, sorry, maybe I’m too enthusiastic…
😉

That’s why I find Paul’s proposal interesting:
Bullnose + Truck + Enthusiasts + Club.
It has all we need, and no possible confusion about some architectural nosing.

If it was in the polls choices, I would change my vote.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
BigBrother-84 wrote
If it was in the polls choices, I would change my vote.
Agreed. "Bullnose Truck Enthusiast Club". A bit of a mouthfull, but that's how legal names tend to be.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).