17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello! New member here...

ckuske
Administrator
Hello All,

I'm a newbie to working on my own truck, so I'm sure you'll be seeing lots of "well duh!" questions from me, but I digress.

My name is Chris, and I live in Ventura, CA.  I own a '84 F-150.  It has a 302 with an AOD transmission.  That's the short version...

Long story somewhat short, this truck was purchased new by my Dad who has since passed away.  I used to ride in my car seat (I was born in '81) in this truck.  Years went by and I was given this truck when I was 16.  It had around 260K miles on it.  I spent money I earned from my job and got it repainted (Midnight Blue Metallic as it was originally, which is not the color it is right now) , and engine rebuilt.  Made some minor interior mods and new wheels.  I used it as my main vehicle for a few years until I started driving 100+ miles a day for work.  Got a Honda and drove the truck on the weekends until I got married.  My wife and I moved to a condo where there was nowhere to park it anymore.  So, I sold it.  

Fast forward about fourteen years and two kids later... I have always thought about the truck since I sold it but much more in the last year or so.  Just missed having the truck and of course there is sentimental value too.  Still had the VIN... found the guy I had sold it to back in 2003.  He still had it and was actually getting ready to sell it!  Bought it back about a month ago, and while I'm not happy with the mods that were made to it (the wheels, paint, removal of some stock parts) I'm happy to have it back.  It has 305K total miles on it, with about 40K since the engine rebuild.

It failed smog miserably - needed an alternator (because of the choke circuit that was blown), carb rebuild, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, O2 sensor.  I had it done by a pro, but I hope to be able to do some things on my own going forward (I'm an engineer so I can't help but tinker, even if I'm not necessarily qualified!).  Now I got the registration done, new plates etc and I'm ready to chip away at things.  First thing is the A/C getting fixed (clutch not engaging, and I know it wasn't converted ever to R134).  I'll create a thread for things I'm working on over the next few years.  My goal is to get it to original condition as much as possible.

Thanks to everyone that hung in to read this whole thing - I appreciate all of your help in advance!  I've learned a lot just by reading the other threads.

Me and my son Evan
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello! New member here...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Chris!!  

That is a wonderful story on your truck.  Sure glad you got it back, albeit with some mods.  But, I'm sure you can put it back the way you want it.  

And, it is a good looking truck!    No wonder you wanted it back.  Is that your son in the pic?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ckuske
Boy, she is a beauty!

I just went though a similar "put-the-CA-emissions-back-together" exercise in October.  'Not something I would want to repeat.

What a great story on getting the special truck back.  Congratulations.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary!  I really like the community you have going here, by the way.  I've seen more than one user with a similar story to mine as well.  People just seem to really like these trucks!

Yep, that's my son Evan.  He just turned 11, and he's eyeing the truck already.   I told him I'd share it when he got old enough and he could use it as his first car too. Maybe by then I'll have everything working and polished up...
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Thanks Dyn!  I hope to keep it in the family for lots of years moving forward.

Yeah, the smog stuff was no fun.  Cost me about $1000 total but boy does it run better now too!  Idle was around 1200 RPM (choke was always open) and just drove weird.  Wasn't sure if I had an idealized memory of how it ran (it had been awhile!) or if it really was as messed up as it seemed.  Purrs around 600 RPM in drive now, and the smog results were great... lots of headroom in the emissions numbers now.  

It had failed NOx when I tried to get it smogged the first time... (like double the allowable NOx (~1450 at 25 mph, now it's at like 235 out of allowable 760)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
That's a good data point. Mine is below.   Were you flagged for a special "STAR-Certified" Smog test agent?  (for those not having had the pleasure of registering a vehicle in CA, if you live in an area that requires bi-annual smog tests, a "STAR" tester is more closely monitored by the state air resources board, and generally a bit more expensive than a "regular"  test & cert).

I had it comparatively easy:  The PO had been in a county that didn't require testing, and he had removed all the components and had most of them in a box.  It took me a couple of days to make sure I followed the routing diagram correctly.  It now runs a little too lean on start up, but the numbers were good.

Do you know the original exterior color code for your ride?

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn you guys make me glad I don't live where I have to deal with that. All we have is a visual, as long as it looks correct you're ok, they aren't even allowed to thump the cat (if it has one) to see if it's been gutted. Nice looking truck!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I lived in a state that had emissions. What a scam; really was. All they wanted was your money. I managed to get through with many of my vehicles. Workers didn't know anything. Idiots actually. I fooled them more than once. I now live where there are no emission testing . . hell, not even an inspection to tag a vehicle. I can breathe well and easy  :)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Nice looking truck, I like it.

I wonder if that's what the paint on my '84 is supposed to look like?...lol. My truck has paint code "3P" for Medium Blue Metallic, but it's long since become faded, chalky, and pale looking.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I went to a STAR station because I had gone to them when I last owned the truck, I was still in the computer from 2000.    I'll try to post my smog results in the next day or two when things wind down for the year and I have more free time.

My original color is '3L' which translates to 'Midnight Blue Metallic Paint, Ford #5616-A'.

That's what I'm going to get it repainted as.  The letters on the tailgate were originally a lighter blue and there was a three stripe vinyl pinstripe that was lightblue-darkblue-lightblue that ran down the sides.  I haven't been able to find ANY information about the colors if I wanted to get that reproduced.  I don't know if the dealer added it or it was manufactured that way.  I'm going to try to find a picture of the truck in the original paint/pinstripe scheme, too.  

I also want to get the original wheels and hubcaps back on as well.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How about a page on tape stripes?  Specifications/F-Series Tape Stripe Codes.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks Gary!  I saw this before but forgot about it. Looks like it’s Type 6.

Any idea how I can get color matching on this?  Do we know if the colors match other exterior ones etc?  (What exactly is Dark blue and Medium Blue for example)

Also I’ll try to move anything else to a separate thread but thank you for humoring me.  :)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

BeagleRock
Very Sharp Truck!
Beaglerock/83f150 351W C6 Transmission 2 wheel drive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought the colors were the same as the exterior colors.  No?

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by BeagleRock
Thanks!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I wasn't positive, it was more of a question I guess.  It makes sense, but I didn't want to assume.

I'm guessing I can look up the Pantone color codes based on the Ford paint codes and try to order tape from that eventually (get it custom made)

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I haven't seen the tape available, but if you find it please let me know.  I think you'll have to have the stripes created with paint rather than tape.