1 ... 10111213141516 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lugging at speed/No power at WOT

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Exactly why.
Production surface finishes and machining tolerances are MUCH better today than 35-40 years ago.

We have aluminum blocks with coated bores, and wear surfaces with vapor or plasma deposited surfaces.

Chrome moly rings don't have to plateau (shave) the bores into a bearing surface.
Engines aren't clapped out at 125k either.

The high ZDDP and detergent package of break in oils keeps internals from galling and seizing.
The detergents keep those particles in suspension so they make it to the filter.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Dinnertime updates:

-Bought some 5W30 Conventional Oil at wally world. Mixed 5 qts of it with a 1/2 qt of Lucas Break In Additive (ZDDP), and primed the system with such. Took a while, but as rockers started filling with oil, I used some clip-on rocker plugs to plug them off to force oil into the rockers not flowing yet... after some fussing (and rotating the crank), I was able to get all 12 to flow.

-rough-timed and installed the distributor.

-Installed valve cover.

-went to install the manifolds, only to find lazy butt here never got around to cleaning the gasket surfaces... ... which is what I was in the middle of when I broke for dinner. The exhaust is particularly bad... but it's cleaning up.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good progress!  And, borrowing Jim's line, progress is GOOD!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Fully reassembled and ready for removal from the stand... If the weather is good tomorrow, she's (hopefully) going in the truck.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  You'll be driving it soon, with no lugging at speed and lots of power at WOT.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Don't Jinx me!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I ready to see the report!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Taking a break for a work meeting... having engine hoist troubles. The ram seals on my hoist are toast (it was when I bought it), and I'm not getting quite enough altitude from the jack.... ugh. Shortened my chain, close but no cigar. Will try shortening one more time after the meeting... if not, I'll need to get another ram, which kills today.

Also had a leak at the back of the lifter cover... tightened the bolt to see if that helps. If not, I dunno. Are the lifter cover mating surfaces on the block supposed to be raw casting, not machined? Mine wasn't machined...

Edit- just realized I butchered the flexplate install... oiled the threads instead of loctite. I know better... will fix after this meeting.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Engine is in, installed, and running... mostly.  A few outstanding issues, which I'll note below. After a lift chain adjustment, I barely made it over... but that chain adjustment made dropping it a bit of pain to say the least. Eventually after a couple hours and my wife trying to drop the engine on my head twice (motor mounts caught it both times ), I got things lined up and installed.

It wasn't all bad luck. Apparently the idle fuel mix was already bang on, and my rough timing adjustment I made during install was already right on the money; I didn't have to adjust base timing.

Outstanding issues:
There's a water leak somewhere... Part of it was the water pump hose clamp, which after 45 minutes of fighting and getting drenched in coolant, I finally fixed (I think). I also saw water coming off the timing cover though, which might be a thermostat housing/gasket leak. Will need to look into and see if running to operating temp (when bleeding the cooling system) corrects the issue.
The alternator belt squeaks on startup. I have a new belt set as tight as I dare, so not sure what is going on.
 The A/C belt is loose and squeaks all the time when the compressor is on. The bracket is stiff, so I think that's why I butchered the tension.
The hood needs installed.
The CB still gets a lot of alternator noise despite the more direct grounding. Probably the stock noise capacitors... ?

Otherwise, she idles and revs great...

Question: How long should I keep the break in oil? 500 miles? 1500?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!  

On the oil question, I'd leave it for at least 500 miles.  You want to change after the main wear-in has happened on the engine so you can get the cast off metal bits out.  But it won't hurt to go a little longer.

As for the wife dropping the engine on your head, is she trying to tell you something?  

The noise in the CB is probably because you don't have the hood on and the antenna is "seeing" to ignition system.

On the belts, best tighten up the loose one, but let the other one wear in a bit before tightening it up any more.

But the water/coolant leak is worrying.  Doubt it'll get any better so you need to find it and fix it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Yes!

That's always a satisfying feeling when it first fires up.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Both belts were loose... the new alternator belt loosened a bit as it broke in.

Coolant leak seems to be gone, maybe the hose clamp was causing both of them?

Hood on, took her for a drive... running rough as heck. Seems like the same issue is still here... only no blowby as far as I can tell. Letting her cool off a bit before I pull plugs to see what is going on in there.

CB noise still a thing... since I'm fuse tapped from the lighter circuit, perhaps that's the issue (unlike my Rangers, I never installed a secondary fuse box, maybe I should???).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good deal on the coolant leak.

This isn’t any help, but a comment, or opinion. I gave up trying to get noise out of CB’s. I’ve run them from the cigar lighter, tap a fuse and directly to the battery. Tried filters, just not good radios for keeping noise out of.

I like the President Bill I put in my Xterra. Has Automatic Squelch Control, so I don’t hear anything until I get a strong signal.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Maybe a firing order issue for the roughness?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yes sir. Was pulling plugs... only to find bozo here didn't get the cylinder 6 wire on the plug. I am an idiot.

Will say more... Stopped for a grocery run at the end of a so far successful test drive
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Back home:

Alternator belt squeak at startup has returned... I dunno. I know I fought with the previous belt a ton... and wore it down enough to warrant replacement. I also wasn't tensioning it right back then, so that was half the problem.

Saw some seepage at the upper radiator hose's connection to the thermostat housing... was an issue previously. Tightened the hose clamp a bit, will see if that fixes the issue.

Oil looks good. Nothing dripping other than A/C condensation...

Did have some lugging on hills (no down shift), but it was more of a load down, with no missing. Still pulled OK most of the time... could be a TV cable adjustment issue,  or just situation normal?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it running smoothly.

I'm going to guess that the lugging is a TV cable/rod adjustment.  You know the adjustment is in the FSM section here, right?  Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/AOD.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
No... apparently I forgot that the Idle Control Solenoid is a thing and that one needs to momentarily put it into EEC test mode to retract it in order to set the TV cable. Will redo the procedure with such knoweledge.

(I did know test mode moved the solenoid, but I never made the connection.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Seems to have helped. Still squealing belts like no tomorrow... belt dressing time?
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 21