classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
416 messages Options
1234567 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

chirkware
So far so good after the surgery. Thankfully the bleeding seems to have stopped so it's just a matter of pain and swelling settling down. I'll probably take one more day off work tomorrow and go back to the office Thursday. I'll be on a soft diet a few more days I guess. No steaks for a while, 🥺 but my wonderful wife has been taking good care of me. ♥️♥️

I wanted to go clean in my garage today but my wife reminded me I need to stay away from dusty environments as much as possible for the next couple of weeks. Because of the bone graft in a sinus cavity, sneezing and blowing my nose can potentially damage what they just put in place. Kind of seems weird, but the bone graft is basically little bits of shredded bone that is put up in the sinus cavity to cause my body to produce new bone up in there. They call it a sinus lift, and it's basically so there will be enough bone to place an implant that a new tooth can be attached to.

Watching TV is getting old, I really want to get out there and get some stuff done. Been reading up a bit on some of my to-do list items for Larry and watching YouTube videos of people working on cars.

Speaking of which, what YouTube care channels do y'all like?  Vice Grip Garage is one of my favorites. I like Just Rolled In, and some good Ford themed channel include Autorestomod Maniac Mechanic, HalfMoonCustoms, and AJ's Garage.
Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad things are goin well.  

But your wife is right, you do need to take it easy.  You certainly don't want to have to do this again.  

Good luck!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Well I had to do SOMETHING today. Door hinges... That'll be easy I said. 😆

Tools used included 13mm wrench, socket, punches, big hammer... reciprocating saw, oscillating tool, and a (lol) 30" bolt cutter.

Those pins, whatever they were, were awful rusty and didn't want to move. They came out with persuasion, in pieces. 🙂

The pin was bent, and not interested in budging.

After using the reciprocating saw to remove the middle...

I was able to punch out what was left and the new one went in so easy!

Bottom pin, after cutting with bolt cutters (faster and easier then reciprocating saw, but I had to pull the door away from the hinge to get the huge head of the bolt cutters in there).

From there, I was able to wiggle the top out with vice grips after some liberal PB Blaster, and then used a punch too knock out the bottom part.

Still need to do some alignment, and I need to get a new strike. But the door is already way better!

Before:

After:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Was all of that within the doctor's orders?  Sounds like it was a lot of work, but maybe not too difficult.  Well done!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
Was all of that within the doctor's orders?  Sounds like it was a lot of work, but maybe not too difficult.  Well done!

Probably not, but what they don't know won't hurt them (not sure that's the smart approach but oh well!).

Hardest part for me what that I tend to grit my teeth while I work at times, and I had to keep myself from doing that. Getting those old pins out was a pain. Once I decided they'd need to come out in pieces, it wasn't too bad. Top one came out in four pieces. Bottom was just two pieces. Top would have been easier if I'd figured out that a vice grip locked on could wiggle them loose.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's why I said vise grips and a big hammer.....
The can of PB must have helped with all that rust!  

I think the bolt cutters would tend to distort the pin before cutting through.
With a zip disc in a grinder (or even a reinforced Dremel cutoff wheel) it doesn't oval the pin or leave a solid burr.

Glad you managed and I hope your jaw is healing well!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by chirkware
I like South Main Auto and Watch Wes Work.
Maybe because I get to see the ravages of rust so familiar on older vehicles up here.

Both seem honest mechanics without a bunch of hype.
And both are much better versed in electronics diagnosis than I'll ever be.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I remember a similar argument with hinge pins.. i now have a dremel and will use that on the next attempt
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Just a before and after video of the pin swap on the top hinge. YouTube turned this into a "short", I guess because I made the mistake of filming in portrait format.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a big change - especially since all of that movement gets extrapolated across the length of the door.

But I don't think there's a problem with holding the camera in portrait mode.  I normally lay it down in landscape mode, but recently had to go to portrait as it needed to be laid down on a table, and that one had no problems.  But that's why you get the black bars either side.

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
A friend was at a junkyard and found Larry a new gate for $60. Score!  😁

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good score!  

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Tried to spend some time getting back on this project after two trips out of town and several weeks of bad weather. Didn't make much progress though.

Got it running without much trouble, but after 20-30 seconds it sputtered and died. Started up again, and I was able to keep it running for a bit by feathering the gas, but then it died again. Repeat 2-3 more times. Seemed to just bog down after 10-20 seconds each time.

Finally, last time I got flames out the carb so I shut it down.  It didn't seem to backfire.

It idled good for me a few weeks ago, so I wouldn't think there's a timing issue. I'm guessing maybe the carb isn't quite right and it was just dribbling extra gas and flooding it out.

Does that seem a reasonable guess as to what's happening?

I'm thinking maybe I just need to pull the carb and go through it. Supposedly it was rebuilt 3-4 years ago before I got it, but of course it then sat for a few years.

Should be a fun learning opportunity. Biggest carb I've tackled (ie, only carb other than small engine) is a Carter YFA, so this should be fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
chirkware wrote
Don't mean to break the excitement, but the tailgate is missing the "FORD" script, which means it is an aftermarket replacement. They tend to be of lesser quality and are known to bend when any weight is applied to them. Just be careful with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
salans7 wrote
chirkware wrote
Don't mean to break the excitement, but the tailgate is missing the "FORD" script, which means it is an aftermarket replacement. They tend to be of lesser quality and are known to bend when any weight is applied to them. Just be careful with it.
Yeah, it's definitely aftermarket, and a bit bent already. It looks better from a distance, but it's just gonna end up a short term solution. Hopefully I'll eventually find a good original gate, even if I have to buy a parts truck to get it. (Don't tell my wife, she's already not thrilled with the prospect of additional trucks arriving at our home, lol.)
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Wish me luck guys! My new year's resolution is to get Larry on the road in January. Got the rebuild kit in for the Holley...oofta! My only carb other than a small engine too tackle was a Carter YFA on my 70's 240. This guy is a bit more involved!

Happy New Year Y'all!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can do it!  Just don't forget to put a little grease or Vaseline on the o-rings which go on the transfer tube.  Otherwise you can easily damage the o-rings and have a leak.

And Happy New Year!

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the tip! A friend told me to do that same thing.

Didn’t get to install it since it’s already past midnight, but I just finished getting out back together after spending most of the day on it. Almost every gasket stuck badly and made a mess, so I spent hours just scraping gasket material off the surfaces. Fun.

Secondary bowl was NASTY. Primary was dirty but not as bad. I’m happy to know all that nastiness is gone now! I saw evidence of a sloppy build from whoever assembled it last time. Like this poorly aligned gasket (it’s stuck on, so that’s how it went in):

Fun times!

Hopefully these new blue gaskets that are supposed to be non stick actually are!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is UGLY!  But I'm told that the blue gaskets are much, much better so hopefully it'll work well once installed.  Good luck!  

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm a little scared. when I see a razor blade scraper in the same picture of a Holley metering block I want to cringe. now I have done it, but I have also ruined aluminum parts that way in my much younger years. that's how I learned. I prefer a piece of wood to scrape carb gaskets if I cannot cleanly get to them with a small blunt screwdriver.  and that power valve looks as if it might have been leaking a little since being installed. really out of position.
1234567 ... 21