416 messages Options
12345 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Larry the Lariat - My 86 F150 4x4

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Red/LtBlue wires jump together at Connector 128.
The other two wires Purple/Orange & Bk/Pink are for your reverse lights.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Thanks for the awesome responses!

I messed with that connection a bit and put it back together as best as I could for now and it’s cranking! Very weakly, but my battery is OLD…probably 7+ years old, and not the right battery, so I think I’m gonna go get me a blem battery from the local Interstate battery and we'll see if we can't get this thing running!

I know I still need to fix that connection better before it'll be reliable.
Ole Blue -- 1970 F100 Custom, 240 and a C4 automatic
Larry the Lariat -- 1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4, 351w and a C6 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm glad I can help!

It's good to know you don't have a problem with the ignition switch or your starter relay.
If you get a new battery it would probably be smart to check all the cables and connections for corrosion, especially the ground connection at the corner of the engine block
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm glad I can help!

It's good to know you don't have a problem with the ignition switch or your starter relay.
If you get a new battery it would probably be smart to check all the cables and connections for corrosion, especially the ground connection at the corner of the engine block

Definitely! I'll probably be replacing some of it. The ground cable to the battery is in awful shape, I haven't even looked at the other grounds yet.

Funny thing...This is the only V8 I've ever owned! I tell you it's a LOT different working on an 86 with a 351w than my 70 (Ole Blue) with a little 240. I'm not used to such a full engine bay!  Of course this sits several inches higher too, so I'm standing on about a 10" wooden step that's usually in front of my shed door. 😂 With Ole Blue, I can stand on the ground while inside the engine bay!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
😂   Plenty of room there!

(Of note. The ground cable has a little 'flag' that grounds the frame crossmember on its way to the block)
Genuine Motorcraft cables are stupid expensive and most of us just add a jumper from block to the bolt on the frame.

At least your 351 isn't wrapped in plastic shrouds and you don't have to remove the whole radiator support structure to change a belt.
You can see all the parts and identify what's broken.

You've got a good handle on this!  
Let us know how it runs when you get it started.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by chirkware
please consider the motorcraft option if available. worth the extra bucks most of the time. consider the cost of a roadside repair or tow. in the rain. 100 miles from everywhere. on a sunday night!! with kids !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
(Of note. The ground cable has a little 'flag' that grounds the frame crossmember on its way to the block)
Genuine Motorcraft cables are stupid expensive and most of us just add a jumper from block to the bolt on the frame.
Ok, I noticed this on Rock Auto so it looks like it may be a good option if it's the right length (listing says it's 40"). I'll have to take a good look on Thursday when I should have some time again.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
At least your 351 isn't wrapped in plastic shrouds and you don't have to remove the whole radiator support structure to change a belt.
You can see all the parts and identify what's broken.
No doubt! The Hyundai Sonata we had required removing a huge plastic shroud under the engine to change the oil. And no points to jack it with a floor jack. 😳 We liked that car, but it wasn't designed for DIY repairs!

I'm an IT guy, and I specifically wanted SIMPLE, including a carb. The less technology the better when I'm on my time. Yeah...I note the irony as I type this with my iphone. 😂

ArdWrknTrk wrote
You've got a good handle on this!  
Let us know how it runs when you get it started.

Thanks again! I'm just making it up as I go. 😁
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
please consider the motorcraft option if available. worth the extra bucks most of the time. consider the cost of a roadside repair or tow. in the rain. 100 miles from everywhere. on a sunday night!! with kids !!!

Duly noted! Rock Auto actually often has Motorcraft. I was able to get a case of Motorcraft Type F transmission fluid and some Mototcraft 85w/90 from them for my 70.

Short of that, I try to avoid no name brands and stick to those brands I've gotten good service from our have at least seen good reviews on. I tend to look for Standard Motor Products for electrical stuff as I've only heard positives on their stuff (it's the ONLY brand of points/condensers other than Motorcraft that a lot of guys with older trucks trust).
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
This post was updated on .
Larry is a runner!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yipee!!!  

But did the belt squeal come from the alternator belt due to the battery being low?  It finally went away, so maybe the battery voltage came up?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Gary Lewis wrote
Yipee!!!  

But did the belt squeal come from the alternator belt due to the battery being low?  It finally went away, so maybe the battery voltage came up?

Not sure, that's probably a 20 year old or more belt. 😂 I'll be starting into belts and hoses next. Just swapped out the video to a longer one with a walk-around.

Lots to do... Seems to be several "optional" hoses and such that go to nothing. Not sure if it's emissions that someone deleted or what.

I shut it down. Figured I should probably change that 15-20 year old oil. 😂
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Congratulations!  

If the oil doesn't look awful you should probably let it warm up so the sludge drains out.

That belt was probably slipping until the rubber got hot enough to stick.
I'd imagine anything rubber (hoses, belts, brake hoses) all need changed if it has been sitting that long.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Yeah the old oil isn't too bad so I'll let it warm up for a few and then give it some fresh oil. Planning to put some Rotella T4 15w-40 in it since old engines seem to like that stuff. I probably should have just gonna ahead and changed it while I had it warm earlier but it was getting dark.

I'll need to add a few more quarts of ATF once everything is warmed up and I can get a good feel for the tranny's fluid level. I think it's gotten 8-9 quarts so far after three C6 was reinstalled after being rebuilt. I need to look up exactly how much it's supposed to get. I'm assuming since it has the deeper pan it's a couple quarts more than a 2wd C6.

It felt like it at least somewhat has brakes but I know I need to go through them really well. The master cylinder is likely gonna need to go. Hopefully all the hard lines are good but I'll plan to swap all the rubber at least.

I'll start making a list of what I need this weekend. Obviously belts and hoses. I already have some plugs to put in and an air filter.

I plan to cut a heater hose and add one of those flush fittings. It run a bottle of radiator flush through and then hook up my hose and let it run through the system. Then I'll replace all the hoses and fill it with fresh coolant.

I need to drop the gas tank and clean it out. Not sure if it'll be ok or not but I'm not holding my breath. The green bean can I'm using right now won't get me far. 😂

Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Keys...

So back in the 70's my parents had a 70 F100 (Ole Blue, the Bumpside I still have) and a 7? LTD (I was with mom when it was wrecked in ~78). Dad liked keeping his keychain slim so he had a key cut with the F100 pattern on one side and the LTD on the other. Worked great, you just had to flip it the right way for whichever vehicle.

So I asked a locksmith friend about that today and if it would work on a 70 and an 86. Yep! So he cut me one. YAY! Just one key for two trucks!

Got home. Tried it in Ole Blue's doors. Check. Ignition. Check. Larry's ignition. Check. Doors...DOH!

Didn't realize the door uses a different key, not even the same blank.   And then I realized I don't have that key. Guess I'll be talking to that locksmith friend again...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim bought a door lock & key set somewhere, so that should be easy.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Easy.... because I have a keying set with all the pins and wafers for the lock cylinders.  
I think I also had to swap over the arms on the back that pull the actuator rod. But that's just an e-clip.

1992-1995 trucks used the same blank for the doors as the ignition. (The square key, instead of using an oval blank for the doors)

I bought a pair of door cylinders from Amazon and re-pinned them to be the same as my ignition .
I believe they were Standard Automotive Parts brand but I'm sure any brand would work.
I know the door cylinders are NLA from Ford.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Easy.... because I have a keying set with all the pins and wafers for the lock cylinders.  
I think I also had to swap over the arms on the back that pull the actuator rod. But that's just an e-clip.

1992-1995 trucks used the same blank for the doors as the ignition. (The square key, instead of using an oval blank for the doors)

I bought a pair of door cylinders from Amazon and re-pinned them to be the same as my ignition .
I believe they were Standard Automotive Parts brand but I'm sure any brand would work.
I know the door cylinders are NLA from Ford.

Perfect! So the 92-96(95?) Door cylinders will swap in it sounds like. I'm sure I can get my friend to rekey them to match the ignition. As it stands, I can't even lock the truck unless I want to crawl in through the rear window (the clip that locks it is broke, lol).

Thanks once again! Y'all are a great help!
Reply | Threaded
|

chirkware
Didn't really get much chance to spend on Larry today like I planned. I did notice that the driver's door will need some attention soon. Looks like it's way out of alignment, like the top hinge needs adjusted. Looking it over, I'm not sure how you get to the hinge to do that. Almost looks like you have to remove the fender, but I'm also wondering if you can pull the pins from the hinges and remove the door (after dealing with wiring to the door).

The passenger door seems good.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Try picking up the striker side of the door to see if there is slop in the hinge pins & bushings.
That big dent in the cab sure could have closed up the gap too.
Passenger doors see a lot less use than the drivers side.

Yes the fender is usually off to adjust the hinges.
You fit the door to the cab and then the fender to the door.
If the hinges are sloppy, replace the pins and bushings before you go unbolting them and causing a lot of work.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've been able to adjust the door hinges w/o removing the fender.  Not sure how I did it, but I think it included swivel adapters.

12345 ... 21