259 messages Options
1 ... 678910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HBF comes out of retirement

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I learn something every day.  Wikipedia says "A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut, barrel bolt, binding barrel, Chicago screw, post and screw or connector bolt)."  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Probably most often found holding your belt buckle on.
Tandy used to be a good place to get shallow ones.

IDK the last time I saw a Tandy store. Probably back in the '70's
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, no luck finding a properly sized barrel bolt but the metric bolt area of the hardware store did the trick.  A size M-8 seemed to fit very well through the drilled out rivet hole.  So, I bought a bolt/nut with flange combo and then a normal nut to tighten the flange nut against.  It lets the mirror swing to the three positions (trailer/camper, normal, and pulled closed) well and the resistance is just about right.  

1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the nut loosens you might try a Nylon lock nut.

But it looks good!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by HBF84
8x1.25 is incredibly close to 5/16-18.

I could send you a stainless truss head cap screw.

Don't use Loctite and nylon.
It will make the plastic hard and brittle, completely defeating its purpose.

If you want a Chicago screw how short does the sleeve need to be?
It looks like you have a lot of stack-up on the bottom side there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thanks Gents!  Appreciate the advice and the offer.  I'll see how well this one works out!
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
In reply to this post by HBF84
I was able to find a front hitch thread on here but does anyone know of an off the shelf front hitch that would fit on an 1984 F-150 2WD?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know of one, but they are fairly simple to make.  I bought a piece of square tubing with the reinforcement on the end and the holes for the pin at Northern Tool and made crossmembers to weld it to.

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thanks Gary!  I took a good look at my bumper today and this website and it turns out I have the "fuel efficiency" strip on the front bumper.  Then, I scrounged for the "fuel efficiency package".  HBF is a 4.9 with 4 speed overdrive and had the 3.08 rear end.  I wonder if that met the criteria or if it being a California built truck was the cause of the "fuel efficiency" strip.  Other folks on this forum with California trucks have the fuel efficiency strip?
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
And, in other news...

Did some very minimal prep work and then attacked them with a rattle can.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
This post was updated on .

Does anyone know what these two holes along the top edge of the front bumper were for (now filled with little bolts that just attach to a square nut on the other side of the bumper)?  I didn't drill them though maybe the previous owner did?  I haven't seen them on other bumpers looking on this forum and what not.  But perhaps others have?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll guess they were for fog lights.  The yellow/orange fog lights were popular back then, even though they didn't really add much light.

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thanks...That makes sense.  The previous owner might have removed them prior to selling my family the truck.  There is a slight asymmetry to the holes as well which makes me think along your lines of an aftermarket yellow/orange fog light.  The Eighties were great, weren't they!  I need a roll bar with smiley face lights!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think Anthony is doing just that with his 'new' truck!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, the sun was out this weekend and I took advantage of the perfect weather to do some more cleaning of HBF.  I used a light application of rubbing compound and then a coat of wax.  So, perhaps time for an update of the first day in Maryland:

And now this weekend:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!!!  What a difference!  HBF is looking good!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
.... is happy, and blue, again!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
is 

Life in the military…Well, Happy Blue Ford received some orders to go to Hawaii but the military only authorizes one vehicle to be shipped and HBF was usurped by ole Chewy (2000 Jeep Wrangler).  However, HBF is loaded back up on a car carrier and will spend some time in San Diego awaiting a lift of opportunity to get to Hawaii.  

In military acronyms… HBF ineligible for IAL’s VPC with this set of PCS orders so will ISTOP at the San Diego MWR and await OPLIFT.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Shipping out to Hawaii?
I could think of a lot worse places to be stationed!

I hope it's a good assignment for you.
Thank you for your service!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, thank you for your service.  And, Hawaii might be a fun place to be stationed.  But I hope HBF gets to go soon.

1 ... 678910111213