1 ... 45678910 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HBF comes out of retirement

HBF84
http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaners.html

Belay my last question!  
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew1983F100
HBF84 wrote
This is an awesome write up I have both parts on order via eBay

Temp sensor and the black thing on the snorkel that connects to the sensor and the flap
1983 F100 302 2WD Base Model Short Bed
Wimbledon White
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm glad it is helping y'all!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, a bit back someone asked for some pictures on what I was going to fill my "behind the seat" storage unit.  Started with sorting out what "roadside tools" it might have come with...

Then, loaded it up!

The 50 cal ammo can doesn't fit inside the trough but sits along the edge well enough.  And, that's my lunch box so easy access to that!  The 762 cal ammo cans have chains and tools and a bit too much room to slide around.  If I rebuild it one of these days, I will build it to fit the cans a bit better.

1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Looks nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by HBF84
Tremendous!

Maybe if you sprayed some plasti-dip or put a bit of drawer liner in the bottom your ammo cans and things wouldn't slide around?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by HBF84
Looks great!

As for keeping things from moving, John/Machspeed and I were texting about that yesterday.  I'm going to use some of the Noico self-adhesive foam insulation for that on mine.  That way I can replace it if it gets soiled.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, last month I tried to straighten my bumper with some cargo straps and didn't get too far.

So, I have been thinking, what if I use a jack to try to flatten out one part of the bumper and how will that influence another.  I have no auto body experience except the last few months with HBF.  Anyhow, I opened up the hood and grabbed the jack and went to work.  Jack, cargo straps, and a hammer!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm confused.  What are you trying to fix on the bumper?

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
This post was updated on .
It was a bit bent but the pictures do not show it too well.  But it wasn't flat and had some creases.  With the jack, I elevated one depression.  Then using the cargo straps attached to the bumper and stretching to my Jeep, I hammered down an elevation.  And, this made the top side of the bumper flat for the first time in 20 years.  I would have taken more pictures if I knew I was going to have success!  HA!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, ok.  You are right, the pics don't really show it.  But I'm glad you made progress.  

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Yeah, the pictures don't really show it.  Maybe this one might show it a bit more.  This one was from the day HBF got drug outta California!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's make that a bit lighter and a bit bigger.  Yup, I see it  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Straightening bumpers can be tricky because you don't always want to pull an edge, and in some cases you'll drag the truck before you accomplish what you want.

I drilled a hole in the corner of my bumper and welded a 1/2" eyebolt shut, then attached my big come-a-long to the old 20' storage container.
It wouldn't pull it straight, but I managed, with hammer blows and strategic blocking to get it to resemble the other side.

I wish we could just pick up a Fey replacement for $200 like 30 years ago, but it seems no one stocks anything like that any more.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, for the last 20 years or so, the tailgate cables were broken and the tailgate would bounce on the mishapen bumper.  Fixed that this week...

And the modicum of clearance that I was able to make from my auto body work:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a great improvement.  Now you have a flat, fairly level, surface to sit on, stand on, work on, etc. n  

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Exactly!!!  Now my COVID enlarged rear end can sit on the tailgate!  And by "rear end" I am not referring to the 3.08 to 3.55 swap!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The happy blue Ford becomes more useful by the day!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, I had had enough!!!  The engine kept racing for the first 10 minutes or so every morning and evening when I went to and fro from work.  (I think the little 7 volt electric heater to the bimetallic choke must take about 10 minutes to warm the choke up, come to think of it.)  So, after all the other things had failed that I had done (see above), I started to tackle the stove pipe that heats the choke as was suggested earlier.  

The cold air side of things seemed intact but the hot air side of things has issues:

And where the hot air side inserted into the carburetor, the flare nut fittings were frozen together but would spin on the shaft.  So, I decided to get a little creative for a temporary fix.  I rotated the pipe up and out of the way and cut back some of the insulating fibers.  Then wrapped the fibers with some aluminum tape:

Then, I realigned it with multiple wraps of aluminum tape:

And, then I went for a test drive.  Well, the verdict is out if it would have worked because I have had the HBF garaged for the last couple hours, so the bimetallic choke might be nice and calibrated.  But, no racing engine on my little test drive.  

That said, I smelled smoke upon returning!!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
So, on the other side of this...

...there was this:

I didn’t remove any parts or pieces.  Did one fall off over the years?  Did a little rubber cap melt away?
1 ... 45678910 ... 13