classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
259 messages Options
12345678 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HBF comes out of retirement

HBF84
OK, and one question for the group here about the cowl.  Notice the trapezoid rubber plug?

Why just one?  Is it normal to only have one on the passenger side and not the driver's side?  I saw a similar situation with an eighth generation F-150 in a local u-pick salvage yard.  Which could mean someone else was looking for the driver's side rubber plug, perhaps.  Anyone know?!?
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by HBF84
I got another!  
No pictures though
It had obviously been there long enough for me to smell it.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My truck never had a plug on the drivers side.

And the one I do have is petrified.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad the washer seems to have fixed your climate control.  

The vinyl cove base is an ingenious solution!
You may not be a rancher, but that's definitely a farm fix, making do with what you have.
Here's hoping it holds up to engine heat long term.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Mine only has 1 on the passenger side.  Do yourself a favor, when you clean everything out, put some screen under it to keep debris and trash out.   When we dismantled Brutus, there were so many leaves and dirt down in there and worked its way into the blower motor and the hvac duct work, and down through the drain holes
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  You are really making progress.

But I'm with George - put screen under the cowl.  Or go with an '87 and later polka dot cowl.  They have holes rather than slots so far less will get through.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Only '87-'91.
The Aeronose cowls have a different profile and won't line up.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Mine only has 1 on the passenger side.  Do yourself a favor, when you clean everything out, put some screen under it to keep debris and trash out.   When we dismantled Brutus, there were so many leaves and dirt down in there and worked its way into the blower motor and the hvac duct work, and down through the drain holes
I don't know it he got the area where the duck bill is cleaned out so water will pass thru to drain and why the water was coming in the vents.

Nice work on the floor covering seal.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
I pulled the floor vents (no A/C model) where water was seeping around (still after cleaning the duckbills.)  I replaced the foam seal and added silicone as well to the vents and the screws that hold it in.  Hopefully that will do the trick!  Here are some pictures from "before"!

1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If the water is getting there, it will sit there and find a way out eventually.
The boxed in section in front of my B-pillar was so bad the lower hinge fixing required major surgery.

I don't know if leaving my duckbills off is going to help but at least the water can only rise so high.
And hopefully any organic matter will either be flushed out of dry out (eventually)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, I proudly drove Happy Blue Ford into work yesterday, in the rain.  And, unfortunately, a small amount of water, very small, is leaking through the floor vents.  I'll get around to pulling them and adding more silicone one of these days.  

But, in other news, took off the camper shell and straightened the cab-side of the bed!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My box was so banged out it would rub the cab when crossed up.
I had to weld a piece of angle iron up under the lip while pulling it with a come-a-long.

Done now and stronger than ever!💪

I'm glad you could get it to come back with just some ratchet straps.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it was that easy.  Good thinking!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, whipped up this over the last few days from advice on this forum...My friend thought it was a nice rack for selling potato chips.  

It's ⅝ plywood cut up with a skill saw and put together with screws and glue.  Nothing fancy and done on the floor of my garage.  The previous tenants left behind some tung oil, so that was the perfect stain to use.  Or, at least the cost was perfect!

I went with this route to maximize the ease to load stuff in from both sides that might be a touch bulky and leave the center for smaller stuff.  Perhaps, I will assemble a collection of tools that matches the repair kit you could buy from the owner's manual.  

It's bolted in with the baby seat bolts.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice! Good job!

Where’s the tater chips?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, because a Marine asked where the tater chips are, I'll post this...

Whatcha gonna do with Marine Corps Ball schwag?  Glue some speaker magnets on the bottom and always have coffee or water.  Stay hydrated, Marine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  Load it up and let us see what it holds.  (I'll have to show what I've gotten in mine - once I get it full.)

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That’s funny!

I “hydrated” myself way too much in the Corps!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What a nice way to keep your stuff organized!  

There were no provisions for children back then.
But you do have cab mount bolts in that raised area behind the seat.
Might check that extra 5/8 still leaves you at least a couple of threads showing on the bottom.

One thing I did do to open bins like that on the lobster boat was staple some little bungee nets over them to keep things from rattling around and moving too much.
I found ones from the motorcycle shop fit quite well, and weren't expensive.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
This post was updated on .
Thank you for the clarification on what those bolts do!!!  

Well, I got out the cargo straps again...So, back in July 2007, I had the rear driver-side tire blow out on I-70 near Grand Junction.  But, not to worry.  I whipped out my candy bar cell phone, pulled out the antenna, and walked a quarter of a mile to get reception.  Then, called AAA for a ride into town.  I didn't have a spare, as several years before after a loud BOOM from Happy Blue Ford, I saw the spare bouncing down the road in my rear view mirror on a busy highway!  (Yes, I called the police and let them know that if there was a vehicle stuck by a wayward tire, it was probably mine.)  Anyhow, to get to the point of the story, I finally got around to doing some body work!

I should have taken some more appropriate before and after pictures, but here's the gist of "cargo strap body work, part deux".

12345678 ... 13