259 messages Options
123456 ... 13
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HBF comes out of retirement

HBF84
This post was updated on .
HBF has a new brakes system and a 3.55 rear end with limited slip.  It's like driving a totally different vehicle...though, admittedly, my memory isn't very good and given I hadn't driven HBF since 2009, who knows?  But, it sure feels like it has a lot more power with a 3.55 rear end!
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Getting to drive it after 11 years must be a really good feeling.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, when I was attending the University of Parris Island we were given WWII C-rations. As a result, unlike my wife who obsesses over dates on cans, I don't worry unless it is bulged, leaking or has a bad smell when opened.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I think you're going to need a Rosetta stone to decipher that piece of papyrus!

Bill, botulism doesn't have any smell or taste, it just kills you.
But if some piece of roadkill is still warm it's not likely to have died from disease.

I'm really amazed at the happy blue Ford!
From rolling right out of her shoes and the varnish in the tank to this.
A mouse free driving machine.
Congratulations!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, gentlemen!  

One of several of this weekend's projects will include changing out the manual transmission oil which has been in there for a decade or so.  The owner's manual indicates to use Ford Part Number D8DZ-19C547-A with a Ford specification of ESP-M2C83-C.  The local Ford dealership recommends "Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid" at about $20 a quart.  The local Napa had some ideas on alternates but could not pin down the exact synthetic or normal oil to use.  Any advice?

1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You want 80/90 gear oil in any TOD, SROD, RUG.

Check Ford Technical Service Bulletin #832116
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thank you!  

Another project for the weekend will be to change the filler hose to the gas tank as the current one is a bit dry rotted and leaks a small bit when trying to fill the tank.  Any good tips for pulling the old one and installing the new?!?  This evening I'm finding it to be a bit of a struggle to pull the hose from the tank.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which tank, side or rear?
How are you dropping the tank? or just trying to wrestle the filler?

These trucks have a tube within a tube/hose for a filler.
It's critical that you get the vent tube back in place or the pump will click off ALL the time.

My suggestion would be to remove the filler neck from the bed pocket by undoing the three screws by the cap.
Then you have a little slack to mess with it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
What a cool old Bullnose.  you're coming quite a long way, glad to see you have it up and running.  .  We're changing our gas tank this weekend.  Those filler necks can be a pain.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
It is the the tank on the left hand side forward of the rear axle.  I removed the three screws and popped off the metal component with the vent tube attachment me point.  I've been wiggling the tube at the neck of the tank but no luck popping it off.  Hmmmm....Maybe I should pull the bed of the pick up and then it will be easier!  Uhoh...slippery slope!  

On that note, I was considering making a flat bed and building an overland cabin/camper atop the flatbed.  If (big emphasis on the if part) I do, does anyone need a short bed with some dings here and there?  It has a small amount of rust but only spent one winter in Ohio, one winter in Colorado, and all the other winters were in California.  I'm currently in Southern Maryland.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well that would solve the problem, but its kind of like tearing down the mountain to make it easier to reach the view from the summit.

The bed does pinch the hose a bit.
Especially if the rubber mounts are in bad shape.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, I was degreasing the Happy Blue Ford today and on the wash rack, I found this... Do I need to be worried?!?

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
It's about the size of a quarter and a quarter inch thick.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by HBF84
My first thought was that it is a choke bi-metallic spring.  But one of those should be more like a silver dollar size.  And there should be a different end on the inside piece - it should be straight there to go through the split shaft.

So, might it be bigger?  And does the inside end seem to be rough like it is broken off?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Running great!  The inside edge of the spring does appear a bit jagged.  The mechanic mentioned that the choke spring broke...Perhaps it fell down into the engine bay and cleaning it today knocked it out!  I'll go with that theory so I won't be stressed!  HA!  But, I will take a close look at the choke and carburetor and make sure it's all there!  Thank you!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You want 80/90 gear oil in any TOD, SROD, RUG.

Check Ford Technical Service Bulletin #832116
Hope its not too late!
Yes 80/90 gear oil BUT HAS TO BE GL-4 OR LOWER!
The new GL-5 gear oil you can get every where will hurt the yellow metal (syncros & bushings)
Red Line oil MT-90 meets this and what came with my AA over drive.
The oil I added to the NP435 I think I will drain as the trans is hard to shift into 3rd more so when cold and I don't remember this when I first installed the trans.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, it needs to be GL-4 rated and I'm sorry not to have mentioned that.

The chlorine in most GL-5 will eat the zinc in brass synchros over time (a long time)

All the fancy pants full synthetic companies (Amsoil, Red Line & Royal Purple) make lubes compatible with yellow metal.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Well, I have the "Clark" 4 speed overdrive transmission and for the life of me I cannot figure out the drain plug and I suspect it just needs to get sucked out the filler hole with a "stinger" or whatever the proper term is.  Am I wrong?  Anyhow, I didn't end up doing it today!  So, your advice is timely!!!

After cleaning the engine compartment, I tried a "hack" on the gas filler tube (which was unsuccessful.)  And, then I popped the chrome trim from the windshield.  The butyl tape has been leaking for many many years and caused the floorboards to develop some pretty impressive holes!  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I think the "Clark" is a mis-print so is yours the 3sp with over drive or granny first?
The granny first transmissions (I18 & NP435) do have a drain plug I am not sure of the over drive one and I cant get to mine at this time to check.

When I filled both the T19 & NP435 it replaced I was able to fill it thru the top.
The T18 the top cover was off for repairs so I could see the fill plug to know when it was full.
The MP435 I had the stick out and was able to fill thru it and the plug out of the fill hole to know when full.
I have not messed with the SROD (3sp / OD) trans but pretty sure it cant be done thru the shifter.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thanks FuzzFace!  It's a "B" on the door tag.  I'll take a picture tomorrow and try to get the data from the numbers stamped into it.  But, it's the 4 speed overdrive (total of four forward gears) and the first gear is not a stump puller.  
123456 ... 13