classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
259 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HBF comes out of retirement

jdavidsmi
I was stationed there a short time,  back in the 70s, Air Force, single at the time. Great memories. Oldest Son there in the early 00s Navy, two grandsons born there.
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Thanks Gents!

HBF was quite the surf mobile in California and hopefully will blend in with the locals here but I’ve yet to see another Bullnose the last few weeks.  They have an annual “safety check” here and I wonder if that has influenced things.  
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84

So about 25 years ago, in August of 1996, my friend wanted to pass along his brother’s 1977 Honda Civic to a cousin who had always wanted it to restore.  Now it just happened that I was going from California to Ohio which is where the Honda was sitting underneath some redwood trees.

So, we found some 2x8’s and rolled the Civic up into HBF and I set off driving.  I made it to Salt Lake City Airport the first day and slept in the short term parking lot.  A few hours later my brother flew into SLC and we started driving further East.  Somewhere in Iowa, if memory serves, we slept along the roadside and a donkey kept making a ruckus all night long.  And the next day we drive through the night and arrived in Ohio.
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84

And the next day, we met up with the cousin and his son and rolled it right off the back (with a bunch of extra parts inside of it.)

Anyhow, the donkey in the adventure still makes my brother and me laugh…..but maybe we were all donkeys for having such a crazy idea?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by HBF84
That’s cool!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that is cool!  And that's the kind of thing my brother and I might have done - decades ago.  And we'd still be laughing about the donkeys!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Puddles our first Bully had a leak in the rain that we had trouble finding. New windshield with plenty of Butyl, still leaked. Roof rails don't show signs of water ingress.

So it was time for a garden hose, a sunny day, and somebody inside watching closely.

Turns out it was cracked old body putty used to seal the tray under the cowl.  It's a seam at the lowest point, so water pools there. I chipped out the old stuff, and could see into the cab a bit. I bought some 3M adhesive cord and repaired it. That was 3 years ago and it's holding.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84

Well, the OPLIFT (opportunity lift) took about 11.5 months but it finally happened and HBF now has more days at sea than I do (despite 13 years in the Navy.)

Changed the motor oil and found a few things broken which is perfect because it gets me back to this forum!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome back!  And happy homecoming in Hawaii for HBF!  

Do you have time to wrench on HBF or are you enjoying paradise too much?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Ha!!!  That’s funny Gary!!!  The parking brake linkage that connects one cable to the two rear brake cables seems to have come apart somehow (perhaps an over aggressive stomp on the parking brake pedal.)  Gary, can you point me to places on this site that have pictures/parts about how it’s supposed to look?!?

Thank you in advance!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Try Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Parking Brake tab on the far right.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84

Thank you gentlemen!  I suspect the spring needs to be replaced…
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you are right, that one looks stretched.  You can find the part numbers on the same page I referenced, and I believe you'll find is D8TZ 2A651-A.  The D8 means it first came out in '78 and it was used at least through '89, so should be available.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
also, the adjusting bolt should NOT have a washer. nor should it have two nuts checked to each other. the actual part is a nut with a "ball" side to fit into the concave recess of the equalizer so it can "equalize the way it pulls on both rear cables and not pull harder on one more than the other
Reply | Threaded
|

HBF84
Gentlemen, I’m struggling a bit finding the spring (2A651) and the nut (389439).  Got any ideas on where to order it?!?  Also hoping to get verification that the adjusting bolt and cable hook (2K389) should be one piece.  Perhaps all three parts come in an aftermarket kit?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
lmc shows them in their catalog as parts 8-11 in the diagram. 80-96 years but they list the adjuster bolt alone as an 80-91 part. I think you are covered either way. there was a change at one point where they went from an equalizer that had two key holes for two rear cables, changed to one fixed cable and one keyhole but not certain of which models and years. they will not work. don't try that.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
mat in tn wrote
lmc shows them in their catalog as parts 8-11 in the diagram. 80-96 years but they list the adjuster bolt alone as an 80-91 part. I think you are covered either way. there was a change at one point where they went from an equalizer that had two key holes for two rear cables, changed to one fixed cable and one keyhole but not certain of which models and years. they will not work. don't try that.
Mat how could that be with 2 cables on the rear axle, 1 from each side?
There has to be a way to hook the 2 rear brake cables to the 1 front cable and that part is it.

Now if you have a LWB like a CC truck there could be a "joiner" like you say to join the front & middle cables together.

BTW I got all the adjuster parts pictured from LMC years ago for my truck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I will try to get a picture of the odd setup as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure we have one in the shop still. i just can't remember which it was. I've been out for five weeks.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
The 1992 - 1997 F5TZ2A602CA  F-150 F-250 F-350 Parking Brake Equalizer Bar  pulls on opposite sides of the channel instead of the center (bottom) of the 'U'.

The '92-'97 equalizer doesn't accept the long threaded adjuster on the end of the cable coming from the pedal assembly.

As you can see in these photos from JBG.

'61-'91

'92-'97
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
1 ... 78910111213