Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’m not sure that harness will help much. There are supposed to be 3  connectors on it - 2 curved ones and the rectangular one to the module.

I may have an extra and as we get closer maybe other things - like a relay. I don’t know if the new control likes the old relay but it like a Bosch relay and I have plenty of those.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Well, for me it looks pretty complete (excepted the cut part).
Am I wrong?

If I reconnect the female connector, will I get a complete harness?

Thanks Gary!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Jeff, with the piece of harness you cut, that is the plug you need to mate with your steering column. Match the wires and splice them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Thanks Bill, so that's what I'm going to do.

Hoping it will not be too complicated to match the wires...
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, didn't realize you have both connectors.  Bill is right, splice them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
With the exception of the horn relay wires, everything else goes straight through.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I'll unwrap the harness, so I'm gonna have a clear view on the wires.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Didn't get much done on mine this weekend, but here's a couple photos of the wiring harness and speedometer sensor I had to order.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
It looks really different than the Fatory Installed Speed Control.

I am wondering about its behavior, does the Dealer Installed Kit operates more "smoothly"?  Is it more/less "accurate", more/less comparable to a later electronic model...

Or maybe it gives exactly the same result than the factory installed.

Waiting for your road test and comments!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know you didn't ask that question of me, but I'll answer nonetheless as I've just had a realization.

There were apparently three different aftermarket speed/cruise control systems sold by Ford through their Accessories catalog and parts counters.  There's E2AZ 9A818-A, E3AZ, and E4AZ.  But E2 and E3 are almost identical as they use the same regulator and switch, but different sensors.  Both of these are supplied by Dana and use a switch that clips on the turn signal switch, as shown in the bottom-left pic from the 1982 accessories catalog.  But E4AZ was built by Specific Cruise System and uses a switch that replaces the turn signal lever, as shown on the bottom right from the 1984 catalog.

I can't speak to E4AZ, but I did have one of the Dana speed controls on my 1980 Citation and loved it.  It had adjustments for how close you wanted the system to keep the speed and how aggressive it was to be in doing so.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
I know you didn't ask that question of me, but I'll answer nonetheless as I've just had a realization.
Gary, as usual, you answered before I asked!

That explains very well the differences between E2TZ, E3TZ and E4TZ.

Talking about this latter, I just received a NOS E4TZ-9A818-A.

Here are pictures of the unboxing.  I'll send you the scanned installation brochure and other documents (PDF), so you'll be able to add them to the Library.

First, here is the E4ZZ-9A819-A - Manual Transmission Clutch Switch, which has to be purchased separately:

And the Dealer Installed Kit (E4TZ-9A818-A):

1- Unboxing:

2- Packing List:

3- Installation Guide (will send you the full 16 pages scanned PDF):

4- Mirror-clipped Instructions (do I have to leave it there??)

5- Electronic Module:

6- Servo & Vacuum:

:

7- Control-switch Lever (Ford updated the 1984 package to enable 1986 installation).
I am wondering why there are a Low Beam and a Horn symbols on the lever, on the "Mirror-clipped" instructions...  The lever in the box has only the Low-Beam one.  And what is it for, anything to see with the floor Low-high Beam switch?

8- Harness:

9- Speed Sensor:

10- Brake pedal switch and other brackets :

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  Good explanation and pictures of what is in the kit.  And I got your scanned documents so will put them on the site soon.  (Maybe not tomorrow as I'm told I'm getting a year older then and I think a set of fender flares is begging to be installed.)

As for the tag, won't it be kind of dangerous with it blocking your vision?  I'd think Ford wouldn't want you to have it there for fear of them being complicit in an accident.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the tag, won't it be kind of dangerous with it blocking your vision?  I'd think Ford wouldn't want you to have it there for fear of them being complicit in an accident.  
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
[...] Maybe not tomorrow as I'm told I'm getting a year older
Happy Birthday Gary!

Gary Lewis wrote
and I think a set of fender flares is begging to be installed.
That's a nice Birthday Gift!

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  Yes, it IS a good birthday gift.  I'll post pictures here when I get them installed.

Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Great work and beat me to the punch.  This is exactly what I have minus the parts that weren't in the original package I received.  The one thing I haven't figured out and they don't picture very well is where to mount the controller.  I'm planning somewhere under the middle of the dash.  I might even use some double sided foam tape and mount it directly to the EEC housing.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
fords4life wrote
The one thing I haven't figured out and they don't picture very well is where to mount the controller.  I'm planning somewhere under the middle of the dash.  I might even use some double sided foam tape and mount it directly to the EEC housing.
I agree, not very clear.  They seem suggesting to attach (hang up) the control module to the main dash harness.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
CLUTCH SWITCH CONCERNS:

I am wondering about the clutch switch action.

From the SC Dealer Installed Kit instructions:

From the Clutch Switch instructions:

Automatic transmission:
When brake pedal is depressed, the speed control module receives a signal from the brake light switch (Speed Control will disengage) and the vacuum pedal switch releases the servo.

Manual transmission:

• Clutch Pedal depressed:
Same as AT, when brake pedal is depressed, the Speed Control Module receives a signal from the brake light switch (Speed Control will disengage) and the vacuum pedal switch releases the servo.

• Clutch pedal untouched (up):
The Clutch Switch cuts the brake light signal (circuit opened), so the Speed Control Module will NOT receive the brake signal if the brake pedal is depressed–which isn't a good idea while not depressing the clutch pedal, let's say.
Although the brake pedal will still cut the vacuum action.

I don't see how depressing the clutch itself is supposed to disengage the Speed Control (without touching the brake pedal)...

Any thoughts?
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - I'm confused as well.  The schematic below, from the 1985 EVTM, shows how Ford did it.

Are the red letters saying "Circuit Opened If Clutch Pedal Released (Up)" yours or in the instructions.  They appear to be exactly backwards.

If the switch closed when the clutch pedal is up, meaning the clutch is engaged, then the speed control system would "see" the brake lamp.  So if they were to put a pull-up resistor on that wire the voltage would be showing 0V since the brake lamp has a very low resistance.  Then if the clutch pedal is depressed the voltage would go up to 12V.  Or if the brake pedal is depressed the voltage would also go to 12V.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Are the red letters saying "Circuit Opened If Clutch Pedal Released (Up)" yours or in the instructions.
The red text is mine.  I tested the Clutch Switch and was surprised to discover that it is a "normal opened circuit" until the pedal is depressed.  Then (clutch released, pedal to the floor), the switch closes the circuit, enabling a depressed Brake pedal to send 12V to the Brake Lights and, therefore to the Speed Control Module.
Restored 2019-2022.