Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

BigBrother-84
Nice! With your help, I feel progressing!

Planing IS project progress (says the architect).

Gary Lewis wrote
The later unit will need basically the same thing except that there is no amplifier as all of the electronics is in the unit under the hood and replaces the Bullnose vacuum servo.
What about this puzzle pieces:
- NOS Dealer Installed Kit;
- "Later" (probably 1993) electronic Module+Servo+Cable
- Horn pad (if possible to replace the turn signal Dealer Installed Kit).

Q:
1-Is this a Frankenstein assembly, or this could simplify my parts quest?
2-Is a E8TZ-9A818A kit compatible, offers some advantages over a E4TZ-9A818A kit?  Or forget about it, too complicated or tweak generator while fitting in a Bullnose...
3-Doesn't matters for me to play behind the cluster (have some other things to do there).  Do you know what kind of Speed Sensor come with each of these kits?
4-Is it complicated to avoid the kit's turn signal arm switch and replace it buy a horn pad?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
BigBrother-84 wrote
What about this puzzle pieces:
- NOS Dealer Installed Kit;
- "Later" (probably 1993) electronic Module+Servo+Cable
- Horn pad (if possible to replace the turn signal Dealer Installed Kit).
A later dealer-installed kit could probably be made to work but will take some electrical interfacing as it won't be plug & play.

BigBrother-84 wrote
Q:
1-Is this a Frankenstein assembly, or this could simplify my parts quest?
2-Is a E8TZ-9A818A kit compatible, offers some advantages over a E4TZ-9A818A kit?  Or forget about it, too complicated or tweak generator while fitting in a Bullnose...
3-Doesn't matters for me to play behind the cluster (have some other things to do there).  Do you know what kind of Speed Sensor come with each of these kits?
4-Is it complicated to avoid the kit's turn signal arm switch and replace it buy a horn pad?
I think I answered Q1 & Q2 as later kits could be made to work but would take some electrical interfacing.

Q3: Up until sometime in the 90's they all used the same sensor/transducer that the 1986 trucks did, the one that plugs into the transmission or t-case.  But some time in the 90's they did away with that and it comes off the rear axle, and I don't know when that was.

Q4: The steering column is already wired for the factory-style speed control.  You just need the horn pad with the speed control buttons and the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier on a Bullnose unit.

The dealer-installed speed controls usually mounted a switch on the turn signal, and that switch is totally different than the switches in the horn pad, and to use the horn pad switches with a dealer-installed speed control would be difficult.  Very difficult.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
I think I answered Q1 & Q2 as later kits could be made to work but would take some electrical interfacing.
Gary, do you consider a E8TZ-9A818A kit as a "later" one?  Or you are referring to a 90-91-92 & Up Dealer Kit (if so, do you know its part number)?

Gary Lewis wrote
Q4: The steering column is already wired for the factory-style speed control.  You just need the horn pad with the speed control buttons and the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier on a Bullnose unit.

The dealer-installed speed controls usually mounted a switch on the turn signal, and that switch is totally different than the switches in the horn pad, and to use the horn pad switches with a dealer-installed speed control would be difficult.  Very difficult.
Need to step back, sorry...
A- Since my "ultimate" goal would be a "later" electronic module/servo/cable controlled by a horn pad, is there any gain to buy a Dealer Installed Kit?  It is worth to buy one, even I'll have to drop some parts (control module, servo, amplifier, harness), meaning that a lot of other included parts will be useful (clips, relays, cable, cable attachement, Speed Sensor, clutch switch, brake switch, or others)?
B- Talking about the amplifier, is the «the harness that connects the column wiring to the main harness and to the speed control's amplifier» the one you had to extend to directly reach the "later" module you installed (since no amplifier required)?

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by fords4life
LOL fords4Life, I just saw that you purchased it on February 2020.

Are you really planning to install it this weekend?

More seriously, do you have a pict of what's inside the box?
And did you find the famous 9A819 part (clutch switch, I suppose)?
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Yeah, life and covid happened and the project got put on hold, but I'm back in full swing on getting the whole truck finished(mechanically anyway).  I did get the clutch switch, that was actually fairly easy to find at the time.  My plan for this weekend is to focus on replacing my gauge cluster and doing the interior work for the cruise control.  If I'm lucky I'll get the upper intake manifold installed as well, but likely won't have enough time to get the full kit installed.  I will be sure to get photos of everything I received.

1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Here's one after a very quick search on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174233398874
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Jeff - I’m visiting grandkids and can’t spend much time on your questions. However, I’m not sure that what we are seeing in kits in the catalog are what I mean by “dealer installed”. I think the systems we are seeing in the MPC are factory systems that could be added to a vehicle by the dealer.

But if you go look at the Accessories catalogs I think you’ll find another system that is what I mean by “dealer installed”.  In some years, if not all, it was a system supplied by Dana and the switch mounted on the turn signal lever. Totally and completely different from the factory system.

Someone needs to look at the parts in the kits and see if my theory is right that it is a factory system. If so you can either buy one of those or use it as a parts list for making your own.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by fords4life
Thanks!
I was searching for E4TZ-9A819, not for E4ZZ.
I understand why there was no such part number.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Jeff - I’m visiting grandkids and can’t spend much time on your questions.
Gary, please don't rush with my questions, I'm not urging anyone!

Spend this so precious time with your family, this is the only priority!

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
Broke out the box last night.  Started taking photos and started on the install.  Unfortunately what was supposed to be a complete kit was not.  I'm missing the wiring harness, speedo cable sensor, and the vacuum reservoir is cracked.

Unfortunately I don't the original seller will do anything about it with as long as it's been.  Fortunately all of those pieces are available.   But now the dash will sit torn apart for a little longer.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Bummer for the missing content!

After 3 years on a shelf, you jump on the job and have to stop it, sorry for you.

Hoping that you'll find the missing parts at good price.

Is it a 94TZ-9A818-A kit, or a 98TZ-9A818-A?
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I have a bit of time so let me see if I can sort this out.  The kit below, which says it is for your truck, is made up of the following bits.  And the illustration, at the bottom, for these parts is different than the factory-installed system.

So, what is the next question?  I've gotten lost. 

E4AZ 9E731 Sensor: And the MPC says that is for 1984 through at least 1989 "E-F-U150/350 — w/dealer installed electronic speed control"

E4AZ 9E799 Reservoir: 1984 on "E-F-U150/350 — w/dealer installed speed control"

E4TZ 9C888 Switch: 1984 on "E-F-U150/350 - - w/dealer 6&8 All E4TZ 9C888-A Use on units w/E4AZ 9D757-A installed electronic speed control"

E4AZ 9C735 Servo: 1984 on "E-F-U150/350 - - w/dealer installed electronic speed control"

E4AZ 9A840 Wiring Harness: "E-F-U150/350 - - dealer installed electronic speed control"

E4AZ 9D757 Regulator: #Black-w/dealer installed electronic speed control-use w/E4AZ 9E731-A sensor"

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As for the bits you'd need for a Bullnose factory-installed speed control system, here are the illustrations.  Unfortunately there isn't one for 1984 and later Windsor engines.  And, I know for a fact that at least some of the 1983 302's came with the servo mounted to the driver's fender like other engines because I had my hands on a 1983 the other day that had it mounted there.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
So, what is the next question?  I've gotten lost. 
LOL!  I too have my head spinning!

Gary, I bought various parts and waiting for some of them.  I took a chance and bought:
Factory Installed bits:
 -1993 complete electronic module/servo/cable
 -Bullnose horn pad
 -Clutch switch E4ZZ-9A819-A)
• NOS Dealer Installed Kit E4TZ-9A818-A.

After analyzing the whole puzzle and see if I can mixup some of them (module, servo, control switch, speed sensor, pedals switch, etc), I will resale the supernumerary parts if possible.

I will need help to decide what formula is realistically feasible and not too complicated.

Houston, this is Apollo 13.
When I'll have my stock on the table, I'll list it and we'll see what we can plan from it.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a plan, Stan.

But you are going to need the wire harness from a Bullnose speed control. That’s the one that plugs into the existing steering column harness, the main harness, and the Bullnose electronic unit under the dash. You’ll extend the wires that went to the unit under the dash to the 1993 module that bolts to the fender near the hinge to provide it power, ground, and switch signals.

And you will also need a relay for the horn. Something in the back of my mind says it has to be one from a Bullnose, but that can’t be right as I’m pretty sure I’m running a standard Bosch cube relay. I’ll bet the Bullnose speed control module requires the special relay and the later unit doesn’t.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Roger!

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary,

In order to find the right harness and the right relay, not sure what I have to look for.

• Relay:  Seems that 80-86 is different than 87-91.  And what about the fact that I am planning to install an electronic '93 module/servo, will a 87-91 relay work?  Or maybe even a 80-86 can do the job?  Or, no possible mixup, a 92-96 relay is the only compatible one?

• Harness:  Does the donor year matter, or just have to be a Bullnose?
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The harness has to be from a Bullnose and preferably from an '84 since that's what you have.  I say that because there are slight differences over the years and I don't remember which is the same as yours.  However, we can make any Bullnose harness work, it may just take moving a wire or two in the connectors.

On the relay, I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure my horn on Big Blue is running from a regular Bosch cube relay and it works on the later electronic speed controls.  But this post shows that the Bosch relay that I tried to use on a Bullnose speed control didn't work.

So if you use your '93 speed control system you'll want to use a standard Bosch cube relay, which is what Ford uses in many of their power distribution boxes, although many of them have a Ford logo on them.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Ok, some progress gathering puzzle pieces.

Gary Lewis wrote
The harness has to be from a Bullnose and preferably from an '84 since that's what you have.
Tried hard, but the only one I found was an ´86.  From the only remaining Bullnose (yep, ONE) at my local salvage yard (they have couple of Bricknoses, and more Aeronoses).
Luckily, was Factory Installed Speed Control equipped.
Only drawback, they cut the harness when they sold the steering column (blue circle).
So, I asked to cut the cluster harness in order to keep the connector (red line) and re-wire the female plug:

Gary Lewis wrote
On the relay, I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure my horn on Big Blue is running from a regular Bosch cube relay and it works on the later electronic speed controls.
Anyway, they gave me the relay (green circle) and the Amplifier with the harness.
If I have to change the horn relay for a more recent model, will I have to wire it or will it plug directly in the existing relay connector?
Restored 2019-2022.