classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

BigBrother-84
Hi Gentlemen!

Well, I digged throughout the forum, and found multiple topics about CC.  But seems that all of them are assuming that we already know everything that has to be about the subject...

This is not my case.  So, pardon me if this question was already answered in the forum and if so, please just point me to the right thread.

BUT, if not, would be very kind to take me by the hand and explain me the basics of an OEM CC.

Let's say that maybe, there is a vague possibility that I would  probably contemplate to eventually install an OEM CC in Big Bro:

- How would you describe the general functioning of the CC system?
- What are the required components I will have to seek for?
- Is this a difficult operation, or something a lazy mechanic can do himself?

My goal:
- Add the comfort of a CC to Big Bro's drive.
- Has to look as if was dealer installed in 1984.

Thanks for your advice!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cruise Control Basics (lesson request)

85lebaront2
Administrator
Cruise control was developed in the 60s if my memory serves me correctly. The idea was very simple on the early ones, they had a speedometer cable driven flyweight system like many early steam and hit and miss stationary engines used. There was a cable or mechanical link connected to the carburetor.

When the system was activated, an electromagnet connected the throttle to the reaction area of the flyweight assembly. It was set up so if the vehicle slowed down, the weights would move in and the attached linkage would open the throttle, speed up too much and it would close it.

Essentially a giant sized small engine centrifugal governor, difference being rather than tightening a spring, you just "clamped" the throttle to the governor at the desired speed. The first ones were built by Perfect Circle and the brand name was a Speedostat.

The next improvement was to use a vacuum servo to work the throttle, but still using the mechanical governor, which now controlled a vacuum and vent valve. Chrysler used these units until 1987 when they changed to an engine computer controlled system. Ford and GM used an electro-mechanical system with a processor that took a speed signal (pulse) and once engaged would try to hold it as close as possible. The processor controlled a pair of solenoid vacuum and vent valves. These were fairly good at maintaining speed, except on a long upgrade the vacuum would fall off and it would lose speed.

Ford came back to the original motor operated control in the mid 90s, a metal unit with a motor, electric clutch and micro processor reading the speed signal pulses. These are great, and were designed to bolt in place of the vacuum servo units.

Now, with "drive by wire", there is no mechanical connection to the throttle plate or plates, so the engine computer now just maintains the speed it was set at.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Thanks Bill.

About the "dealer installed" kit, is it possible that it wasn't on the steering wheel?

If so, this is not the project I am figuring out.  I am willing to find an old OEM installation and take it out from a donner truck.

As for example, my local yard has a 1988 Econoline speed control equipped.  Maybe I could take on it most of the needed parts?

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Since the Ford cruise control uses the horn wiring for it's power and ground, it uses a short jumper harness that also adds a horn relay to the circuit. The horn pad is equipt with the switches which at worst case might involve a different steering wheel.

Aftermarket systems were quite popular in the 70s and 80s, after that many vehicles had it as a basic upgrade with what was generally called a "convenience package". The aftermarket will usually have a piggyback switch on the turn signal lever.

Adding a Ford factory system (which could have been a dealer installed kit) would involve a hole in the firewall (possibly there, but at least located on the firewall stamping), addition of one or two vacuum valves and a clutch switch if needed and not installed.

FWIW, the system on my Chrysler convertible is a dealer installed kit that was available in 1987. I found one NOS at a dealer in South Carolina as Chrysler provided the circuitry and program in the 1987 up ECMs. Here is what it looked like as received:

There were also 3 small parts bags for mounting hardware and vacuum fittings. If you look at the pictures of it laid out on the table, you will see several throttle cables, vacuum hose, etc. The 4 wire connection is in the 1987 up harnesses, just tied back with a dust cap over it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I have a minor disagreement with what you said.  I think the electronic speed/cruise control came out at least by 1990.  That's because the one in Big Blue came out of Huck, the 1990 half-truck I bought to get the E4OD for Dad's truck.

Jeff - Do yourself a favor and get the later cruise control like I have.  It is WAY better than the vacuum-driven unit from a Bullnose.  Let me count the ways:

Smoothness: The Bullnose unit is way too aggressive.  It gives too much throttle to speed up and chops the throttle too much on a hill - only to have to open it again too much.  But the later unit is far, FAR smoother.  I just ran almost 2000 miles with it and it was wonderful.

Resume: With the Bullnose unit when you hit Resume it basically floors the throttle until it gets up to speed.  With the later unit it says "Hmmm, let me think about that.  Ok, lets go there, but gracefully."

Change Speeds: With the Bullnose unit if you want to speed up or slow down you hold the Set/Accel or Coast button until the speed you want is obtained and then let up - and hope you caught it where you wanted it.  But bear in mind that in speeding up it basically floored the throttle, and in slowing down it basically cut the throttle.  So you are changing speeds abruptly, making it hard to catch the right speed and obvious to your passengers that you are doing something.

But with the later unit if you push Set/Accel or Coast once you go up/down by 1.00000 MPH, and you do it gracefully.  Go from a 70 MPH speed limit to a 65 MPH limit and you push the Coast button 5 times and you are there.  Can't tell you how many times I did that in our 525 mile drive today, almost all of which was on cruise.

The later unit uses the same spot under the hood and the same horn pad switches as the Bullnose one.  And it is easy to make a couple of wiring changes to accommodate it instead of the Bullnose unit.  I LOVE IT!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Gary, I am willing to go to Big Blue's Transformation thread, and follow your CC journey to the "later unit" (I suppose you are meaning "electronic"?).

Where to start, somewhere here?

Oh, and don't forget that Big Brother's 351W is carbed.

Thanks!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's too early, Jeff.  Try here.  And the wiring doesn't matter carb vs EFI as it doesn't change.  The only issue is the lack of a horn relay and the extra ground wire on the later module.  And yes, "later" means electronic.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, there is still a horn relay on the later trucks, it is just in the PDC underhood. You are correct in the fact that the resistors and switches in the horn pad are the same, the changes were all cosmetic on them.

One item we discovered is the difference between a car and truck cruise control module when you tried my Taurus spare in Big Blue.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Bill, you are right.  There still is a horn relay on the later unit and it is a Bosch-style in the PDB.  But a Bosch-style won't work on the earlier vacuum unit from a Bullnose truck.  Apparently the coil resistance is too small.

And yes, the car "amplifier" for the vacuum unit won't work in a truck.

I used the goodie out of the electronic cruise control on Big Blue yesterday.  In 8 hours of driving there were lots of speed limit changes and I just raised and lowered the set point one MPH at a time by pushing buttons.  Or coming up behind someone going slightly slower (I was rarely the one being overtaken) and a button push or two let me tail them until a convenient time to pass.  The vacuum units do not do that nicely.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Just posting to say that those horn bars are super rare... surprised it hasn't been nabbed!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
It's in an Econoline. Most people don't look, or know that a lot of parts (but not all) are interchangeable between the F-series.

I got a nice door arm rest for my 1972 F-250 out of a 1991 Econoline once.
Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
And yes, "later" means electronic.
Willing to go on, but can't decide...  What makes me hesitate is the difficulty to find a complete electronic system.  Is there a good source?  And how to be sure that I find all the required parts?

I am also contemplating the "aftermarket" solution (Rostra), although not sure it is less complicated to install.
Does somebody have experience with that approach?
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

fords4life
I have an NOS dealer add-on cruise control package that I'm hoping to start installing this weekend for my '86.  I will be sure to get photos of all the parts and plan to scan in the instructions so Gary can post them on here.  That being said, I have no experience with these early style units so it should be a bit of an adventure.
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
fords4life wrote
I have an NOS dealer add-on cruise control package that I'm hoping to start installing this weekend for my '86.  I will be sure to get photos of all the parts and plan to scan in the instructions so Gary can post them on here.  That being said, I have no experience with these early style units so it should be a bit of an adventure.
Wow! I suppose we can call it «a lucky find»!
Curious about seeing how it installs.  Waiting to read you!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, I need some precision about the different generations of Ford pickups Speed Control.

If found this very interesting and instructive YouTube tutorial.

This gentleman is installing an OEM Ford Speed Control in his Bricknose.  He explains that ‘92 to ‘96 system is different… I suppose this is the later unit Gary was talking about and installed in Big Blue.  If so, this video explains how to install a vacuum driven unit, which was factory installed in Bullnoses and, correct me if I am wrong, in Bricknoses too, up to 1991 (so in pre-Aeronoses trucks).

Went to my local salvage yard today, to stroll among the potential donors.  I found 4 potential pickups, ‘90, ‘93, ‘96 and ‘97 (plus the ‘88 Econoline with the Speed Control steering, but looking to not have everything else in place, not sure).

SO:
- If I go “Gary’s later unit" way, I’ll have to take available parts in the 93 and 96 trucks?
- What about the 97?
- If I opt for the "older vacuum way", I’ll have to grab everything in the ‘90 (and possibly in the ‘88 Econoline)?
- In all cases, I need the Econoline steering.  Do I need its column too?  Or its turn signal switch?

Thanks in advance!

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The unit I’m using is from a 1990 truck, and I really like it. It is all electronic and has only the unit under the hood as well as the wiring and cable to the carb/throttle body. And steering wheel of course.

But I don’t know when they started using that unit, nor when it was last used. I’m with grandkids at the moment but when they are off to school I’ll see if I can figure out when that unit came out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got to it earlier.  The MPC shows that a new speed control came out in 1988, so I'm betting that's the one I have.  And my notes say another one came out in '92 and was used through '96.

You can use the same steering column with any of them.  The Bullnose units will be plug and play but they need a cable that plugs the steering column wiring to the instrument panel wiring.

What did I miss?

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Thanks Gary.

I really would prefer to go with your "later electronic" way.  But to be Frank, I am a little scary about all the fitting & tweaking it will require...
Buying a NOS Dealer Installed Kit appears to be so simple.

For example, I am just trying to figure out which puzzle pieces I'll have to find.  And it's really not clear to me (sorry!):
- "Later" Speed Control module, including its mechanical activator with cable.  Q: Will this cable fit, its length, its anchor type to the carb?
- Speed sensor:  What type, can I use an earlier "two cables" model, or a "speedo cable end" type, or have no choice but find a "later" 90-91 up?  Will this latter fit my Bullnose cluster/speedometer?
- What other harnesses, relays, terminals or other such puzzle pieces will I need to complete a "later" electronic installation?

Like you see, I want to make a complete plan before stalling Big Bro for the less days as possible, having all the required parts on hands with no bad surprise.

A kind of home made "Owner Installed Kit", everything in the box with detailed diagram and instructions.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A NOS dealer-installed kit would be the best way to go for a number of reasons.  First, because you'll have everything you need.  Second, because there should be no wiring to do save for power and ground.  Third, because if it is the Dana-sourced unit it is more flexible/adjustable than the one Ford used from the factory.

If you go with the bits/pieces for a Bullnose system you'll need the steering wheel pad, the wire harness that connects the steering column to the main harness and to the amplifier, the wiring harness from the amplifier to the servo, the vacuum hose and dump valve for the brake, the servo & associated horn relay, the vacuum hose from the vacuum source to the servo, the transducer that gets the speed from the speedo cable, and the cable that goes to the carb - and it just needs to be long enough but there's lots of flexibility.

The later unit will need basically the same thing except that there is no amplifier as all of the electronics is in the unit under the hood and replaces the Bullnose vacuum servo.  And, there probably isn't a harness/cable that will plug into the Bullnose steering column & main harness and plug into the unit under the hood.  So you would have to make that using a Bullnose speed control harness - although that's not difficult and we can walk you through it.

And on the speed sensor/transducer question, either the one that goes in the middle of the cable and below the brake booster or the one that goes in the tranny/t-case and uses the cable you already have will work.  But the best for you would be the one that goes in the tranny/t-case.  You just unplug your speedo cable, plug this unit in, and connect your speedo cable to it.  But you do need the 1986 - 87 wiring harness to the amplifier as the earlier harness expects the transducer to be under the brake booster.  Or you can extend the harness, like I did, and it is only two wires so it is easy.  And that transducer works with the factory Bullnose system or the later system.

Here's the listing from the MPC for what a kit involves: