34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fender Flares For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have two questions:

1. What do you think of installing fender flares on Big Blue?

2. If you like the idea, what style?

Background: Last week we encountered muddy roads a couple of times and Big Blue through mud EVERYWHERE, including on the hood, roof, windows, and toolbox.  It was just RAINING mud.

So I'm considering adding fender flares to contain the mud a bit as I'm sure we'll encounter mud many more times in our off road travels.  And that's what prompts the two questions above.

So if you like the idea then what particular ones?

Bushwhacker makes two different kinds, Cut-Out Flares and Extend-A-Fender.  Janey and I don't like the Cut-Out ones, neither the look nor the fact that you have to cut the lip of the wheelwell off.  But we think we like the look of the Extend-A-Fenders, although they only extend 1 3/4".  I'm not sure that's enough but will look tomorrow to see how much the tires stick out.

We discussed this three years ago and in that discussion Angelo posted the pic below, and he thought they were from Lund but go by the name Extend-A-Fender.  I suspect they are actually from Bushwhacker, so I'll share the pic to show what I'm thinking about.

Do you know of others?  What do you think?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Fender Flares For Big Blue?

Nothing Special
I love the idea of fender flares but I'm not always a fan of the execution.

Living up here in the buckle of the rust belt, anything that compromises the sheet metals protection is something to be avoided.  Oswald (hey, I got to use his name!) came to me with fender flares.  A lot of the worst rust started under them, either at the screw holes, or where debris got trapped.  He is not getting flares put back on after the rust is (hopefully) fixed.

That said, you don't live in the rust belt.  And flares certainly help keep the mud contained.  So they may well be a good option for you.

On the "what style," I'd tend to shy away from cutting the original fenders out too (see what i said above about compromising the rust protection).  I do have flares on cut out fender on the rear fenders of Pluto, but they came to me cut, and that's about the only way to put bigger tires on an old Bronco.

Sorry if that's too wishy-washy, but it's what I've got.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm against fender flares for one important reason; they tend to gouge your paint. I have factory "extend a fender" style flares on my 2003 Ranger, and they have rubbed into my paint over the last twenty years. You can't see it with them on, but it's noticeable when they're off. I've seen where some guys would install rubber protective strips behind the flares to prevent this, but have seen those also fail to protect the paint beneath the flares as well.

I personally would rather the mud and stones scuff my paint, than for plastic flares to gouge it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Nothing Special wrote
Living up here in the buckle of the rust belt, anything that compromises the sheet metals protection is something to be avoided.  Oswald (hey, I got to use his name!) came to me with fender flares.  A lot of the worst rust started under them, either at the screw holes, or where debris got trapped.  He is not getting flares put back on after the rust is (hopefully) fixed.
It's really common around here for people to install fender flares to HIDE rust lol, so every time I see them I think oh...that truck is rusted all around the fender/wheel well openings. So they either cause rust...or they're installed to hide rust lol.

So bad news in the rust belt...

Otherwise, I'm sure they're fine, but I have zero experience other than rust.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks guys.  Let me respond to some of the comments.

But first, I measured today and found that the front axle is offset to the right 1/4".  I say that because the LF tire is 1 3/4" out from the wheelwell and the RF is 2 1/4" out.  Oddly enough, the rear tires are maybe 1/8" in from the edge of the wheelwells, and nicely centered.

So the Extend-A-Fenders from Bushwhacker at 1 3/4" are almost but not quite big enough.  But I think they'd make a big difference.

Bob - Not going to cut the fenders.  No way, Jose.  As for rust at the screws, I'll put them in with anti-seize and hope that helps.  Or, is there a better way?

Shaun - I understand what you are saying about the paint, but my first thought was that I'd put double-stick tape on the lip that goes against the fender.  But then I downloaded the installation instructions and found the illustration below shows that the flares come with double-stick tape to do exactly that.  So I'm hoping they won't damage the paint.  And even if they do I plan to have the truck painted some day.  Besides, see the next comment.

Cory - In a way I'll be hiding rust as there is rust above the rear wheelwells.  And hopefully these will hide it.  

All - I'm still wanting input, both on whether to as well as what brand.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
But first, I measured today and found that the front axle is offset to the right 1/4".  I say that because the LF tire is 1 3/4" out from the wheelwell and the RF is 2 1/4" out.  Oddly enough, the rear tires are maybe 1/8" in from the edge of the wheelwells, and nicely centered.
My '84 F150 had a similar offset, but to the driver's side. The left front wheel stuck out a solid 1/2" more than the passenger side, if not more. I wasn't quite sure why it was like that until I removed the core support, and found that it was hard to the RH side of the truck. So in my case, it was the cab not centered on the frame. With factory skinny tires and wheels you'd never notice it, but when your wheels "poke" and stick out a bit, it becomes noticeable.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It could be that the cab is offset.  I did find that the frame was bent when I got the truck, but I did fix it - I think.  Maybe the cab didn't get moved back as I didn't do anything with it after fixing the frame?

Maybe I could center it up with the track bar?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, maybe I misunderstood the trim that goes on the edge. I thought it is double-stick tape but it may be more like a split vacuum hose if what I'm seeing in this video is correct. Yes, it is for a '91, but...

And I'm not sure about cutting the trim. Will have to look tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, going back to Angelo's post from three years ago it doesn't look like Big Blue's trim would have to be cut.  This is the same trim I have:

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
Gary I added bushwacker flares to lil green when I did the engine swap, mostly to cut out the rot but it also let me run 37" humvee surplus tires with stock suspension.

Now on 35's they look a little small, but drive substantially better.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  They are the Cut-Out flares and do look good on your truck.  However I don't want to cut my fenders so am planning to go with the Extend-A-Fender ones.  Don't think they provide as much protection but they do provide some and don't require any cutting.

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
Yup those will help with the mud slinging, and if your panels are in good shape I'd resist cutting them.  As you can tell none of mine were lol.  Inherited the truck from my one eyed grandfather who swore trees always jumped out at him.  I think on fender was straight when I got it.  Probably doing a flatbed at some point when I'm not in an apartment with a garage it won't fit in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Someone has a birthday coming up on June 8th () and fender flares are on the shopping list.  The screenshot below is from a tab on my browser and I'm just waiting until the delivery date is when we'll be home but before the 8th.

Still taking comments or suggestions, but the Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender units appear to be the best there are for our trucks from what I can see.  Anyone have a better idea?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Got the fender flares installed today.  Here are some pics of before and after:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Happy birthday Gary!

I’m not typically a big fan of fender flare aesthetics, but those look nice. I have experienced the “raining clumps of mud” phenomenon and I agree that the cleanup isn’t fun. Hopefully this will keep most of the cleanup on the underside 😅
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Big Blue is kitted out and looks sharp!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys!  I like them.  My thoughts when looking at the pictures were that without the flares looks "cleaner", but with the flares it looks "finished".  In fact, later when I asked Janey what she thought she said "It looks finished."

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary Lewis wrote
Thanks, guys!  I like them.  My thoughts when looking at the pictures were that without the flares looks "cleaner", but with the flares it looks "finished".  In fact, later when I asked Janey what she thought she said "It looks finished."
I agree that BB looks finished.
But we all know he will never be.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, BB is unlikely to be finished in the near term, if ever.  On Sunday I talked with Welder Scott about the rear bumper/spare tire carrier and he said he'll dust off the parts list and see what he can do.  That's a significant as the spare tire takes up about 1/3 of the space in the bed, and it really limited us on the trip to NM.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Those do look really good!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio