classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
378 messages Options
1 ... 1516171819
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Return of Rusty

rcarlisle
First two photos are the power feed - one is switched, other is constant power for the light to work with the lights and dimmer.   third photo is the speaker wire connector.  Just removed my radio last night.   The other end of plug is in the dash over near the glove box.  Or at least mine was.   and it was wrapped around a holder of some sort that I had to get it untangled from.   And that supposedly feeds the speaker harnesses to each side.   The speaker plug on the other side on mine is square like it would take a 6th wire buthte hole is blank apparently.   on mine, two wires were looped in so it would be a 2 speaker system instead of 4.  Would be easy to make 4 maybe, but no fader?  See photo of direction speaker harness comes from.  

It was pretty tight in there and no way to get hands in there easily.  Might have been better with dash top removed.  Haven't learned that yet.  

Not sure what 4th and 5th photos are.  Haven't had to find them yet.  Mine is an 81, btw.   But same appearance of wires.   I did a post earlier today with similar photos for future reference.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by ClayJ
Wow.  Our trucks are very similar - same deal with center speaker.  And I see yours is an 81 as well.   If you remove the pad, might make easier to get to speaker wires.  I saw something yesterday said it's a 5 minute process?   I assume all the screws are visible and accessible?
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Hey Randy, thanks for the tips. I may just leave well enough alone for the moment but that's good info. I'm really curious what the newer looking harness is in the 4th picture on my post. Maybe the other guys will chime in.
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's definitely a harness for a newer radio.

I don't ever recall Gary installing or removing one, but Rusty's tale started long ago.

I do recall he mixed and matched a lot of parts so Rusty would be roadworthy and safe before he sold him on.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Jim, that's what I thought as well. In fact, isn't that the connection for a single DIN head unit?
Rusty 1981 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4 400 w/ RV cam, Edelbrock 1906 4bbl w/400 performer intake, C6 xmsn, NP 208 TC, 9" rear diff 3.50 gears, Proform HEI Distributor, Powermaster 1-wire alternator upgrade (75 Amp), Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
All headunits have different plug configurations. <shrug>?

I can't tell at a glance on my phone what that might belong to.

And I very much doubt Gary knows because I don't think he would have removed a functional radio to only fill the space with a Philco that isn't even connected.

More likely Rusty's PO took it and Gary popped in something from the attic to cover the hole.

Gary and I both, recently installed single DIN Sony media receivers.
But they are 'short chassis' and don't reach the 'shelf' at the back of the opening.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think I did anything with the radio in Rusty, but if I did I sure don't remember it.  Sorry.

And Jim is right, there seems to be no universal connection scheme.  I took a Sony out of Big Blue and put another in and even they had different connections.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Not sure what everyone is running as far as floor mats but I decided to give the Husky Liners a shot. Ordered off of Amazon for a decent price and they arrived today. Not a perfect fit but pretty good. Not quite as thick as weather tech liners but should do just fine for Rusty.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I don't have them in Walter yet, but wife and I both have some sort of fitted liners in our cars.  Really nice and keeps the carpet new.  Not an issue for Walter at this point.   But a great idea.

Walter has some thick rubber universal mats and it keeps sliding up under the gas pedal.  May screw it down.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
The husky liners have some pretty aggressive rubber spikes on the bottom which grab the carpet very firm. No sliding at all. I would hate to have sliding mats. One reason i avoid driving in flip flops as well, had a very close call in the past.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have a thin rubber floor over aluminized heat and sound insulation.
There's some extra layers on the passenger side because of the head pipes
On top of that I have a pair of Ford floor mats from the '95 F-450 I parted out.

I'm with you 100% on anything moving around under my feet and pedals.
These wouldn't stay put so I set some snaps in the rear corners.

I like those Husky liners. But the nubs wouldn't work for me.

Glad to see Rusty is coming together!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I have those same floor liners in gray and I really like them. My carpet has a sewn in matt so as the Husky sits over it with those protruding spikes, I cut them in that area to facilitate a better fit. Mine appear to follow the contour of my floor pan nicely.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
I've read that some folks are trimming areas of the driver side mat to accommodate the 4x4 shifter. However, I don't see a need to as the mat is a few inches away. It does come close to the hi-beam switch on the floor but doesn't interfere with its operation. I would agree that it fits the floor pan nicely.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bricknose trucks have the 4x4 stick beside the tunnel instead of in the cover plate.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks Jim.
Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
Another day, another fluid leak on Rusty. Made a 40 mile round trip in Rusty yesterday to run some errands and after parking I noticed a puddle under the transfer case. Sure enough, transmission fluid was welling up and dripping off of the output shaft yoke on the back of the T-Case. Wondering if all this will take is removing the driveshaft and yoke to replace the seal? Suggestions welcome.

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ

Thinking the TIMKEN 4333N is the correct seal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Clay - I learned the hard way on Big Blue to coat the splines of the yoke with RTV before installing it.  So you could have one or three problems: a bad seal; a yoke with a groove; or just a leak via the splines.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ClayJ
That's no bueno. Does the fixed yoke on the rear of the transfer case just slip out or will I need a puller or slide hammer setup to remove?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It should just slip off, but might have been RTV'd on.  Needs to be torqued to spec when installing.

1 ... 1516171819