2267 messages Options
1 ... 59606162636465 ... 114
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  So, what tranny does it have?  I lost track of them after the E4OD.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks guys! Feels weird to own so many trucks. Haha.

Gary Lewis wrote
Cool!  So, what tranny does it have?  I lost track of them after the E4OD.
Rangers had the (in chronological order) C3, C5, A4LD, 4R44E (4R55E for 4.0 V6), and 5R44E (5R55E for 4.0 V6). This one should have the 5R44E.

4-Speed, Rear wheel drive, 44o (or 55o) torque rating, Electronic control
5-speed, Rear wheel drive, 44o (or 55o) torque rating, Electronic control

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the decoder ring, Shaun.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Haven't even had the truck for a day and it's already torn apart. It's not getting fuel and I can't hear the fuel pump prime while switched to ON so I'm investigating that.

How the truck looks now is how it will look permanently, other than new wheels and a lowering kit. I'm not a fan of toppers or step bars on lowered vehicles so this is how it will stay.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Somebody's grandpa will enjoy the topper.
They must be hard to find for Flareside Rangers..
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
From what I've been told, they are. This one is solid, but it needs new struts, paint, a lock handle, and to be cleaned on the inside. So can't make golden dollar off of it without putting some work into it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mr C's for lift struts.
If $25 can make it a $250 cap you know enough to go there.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
You do know how Ford made the 4R44 and 55 into a 5R don't you? I found out when a friend's Exploder 4.0L developed a sloppy shift, running it down the road with my Solus connected told us the clutches were slipping on the 3-4 shift.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yep, the 5R is still a four forward gear transmission. No actual fifth speed from a gear.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sort of like GM claiming the Roto-Hydramatics were 3 speed, 4 stage transmissions. The claim was since the fluid coupling had a stator (called an accelerotor) that in the initial stages starting in 1st it provided a small torque multiplication, now since it was connected directly to the output shaft, it was partially negated by the reaction fighting the power through the gear set.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
... or the opposite of the 5R110W in my 2015 E-450 motorhome.  That trans has 3 speed and 2 speed gearboxes in series, so it has 6 forward gears.  But one of the resulting ratios is 1.00:1 while another is 1.09:1.  Since those are so close together the computer only uses one of them (1.09 when cold, 1.00 when warm apparently) and Ford calls it a 5 speed.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Received some awful news this morning at my favorite junkyard. They informed me that after the 31st of this month, they will no longer be a "U-pull-it" and will move to an inventory style system. I've been going there for 15 years now, and have basically built all of my trucks using parts from them. I'll still be able to buy parts on inventory, but I can forget about small parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
salans7 wrote
Received some awful news this morning at my favorite junkyard. They informed me that after the 31st of this month, they will no longer be a "U-pull-it" and will move to an inventory style system. I've been going there for 15 years now, and have basically built all of my trucks using parts from them. I'll still be able to buy parts on inventory, but I can forget about small parts.
Up north in CT it has been that way for 30 years or more unless they knew you really well.

When I called on the AC compressor down here in NC to the yard that listed it on Car Parts.com
I asked about the AC hoses, mounting brackets & dryer, hoses & dryer were for test fitting only as I really did not want to go new and not have them fit. Anyway he told me he only had the compressor and not of the other stuff. The part was listed "still on truck", come to find out it was a diesel truck still running and they did not want to start pulling it apart.

A lot of yards that will not let you in is because of insurance, if you got hurt then what?
Also the EPA and oil / fuel / coolant spills and the large fines!
So it is better for them to get the car / truck in, check to see what works and doesn't, drain fluids and pull parts and scrap the rest. They also don't need a much land to store part over a full car / truck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Haven't even had the truck for a day and it's already torn apart. It's not getting fuel and I can't hear the fuel pump prime while switched to ON so I'm investigating that.
So as an update the truck is now running. When I first went to pick it up, it cranked over with a no-fire, but then when I went to try again, the Theft light started flashing. I could not get the truck to stop flashing the theft light, and more than likely threw the PCM into lockdown. After we got the truck home and got it off the trailer, I hopped in and it again started to crank over, only to throw the theft light an hour later while testing the fuel pump. After that no amount of battery unplugging would get the light off. After verifying the fuses were good and the PATS antenna was getting power, I decided to switch out the PATS antenna/transceiver with a spare one I just to happened to have sitting in the shop. That fixed the PATS issue, and from there I verified that the fuel pump was getting 12v at the connector, which it was. A new fuel pump later and two cycles of the key to prime and she fired right up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  Good diagnostic work.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Congrat's!  Good diagnostic work.  
Thanks! Now I can move onto the seemingly endless list of things wrong with the truck. Today I came out to the driver's side interior soaked from today's rain. Not sure if it was the sunroof, but I did find that the weather stripping on the cab for the doors is no longer sticking to the cab, so the water may be coming in through there. I'll have to verify next time I know it's going to rain and I can sit in the truck and get wet.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I am lucky in as much as (a) we still have a Pick-n-Pull in Virginia Beach and (b), very good friend owns the biggest yard in Newport News and all I need to do is let him know I am there and what I'm looking for. He will tell me where to look and I just drive Darth and my tools back there, try to get where I am not blocking access and go to work. Prices are usually very competitive, mostly free.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
We still have one U-pull-it left in my county, so I guess I'll be visiting them more often until they go the same route.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
The new Bronco doesn't 100% float my boat... I've been waiting forever for it and it's.... Ok.

Ford should have taken a cue from the guys at 6g. This I would buy in a second

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Concept =/= execution.

They're not trying to appeal to die hard Ford fanatics.
They're trying to steal some of Jeeps momentum.
 Jim,
1 ... 59606162636465 ... 114