2298 messages Options
1 ... 56575859606162 ... 115
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The FORD Lounge

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think we'd all have that in our Google feed given our participation here.  ðŸ¤”
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Not truck related, but at least it's a Ford  my "antique" Taurus ate it's AC compressor yesterday. I really hope the local salvage yard still has the collection of 3.8L Taurii. I will probably get a compressor and condenser as I am sure that FS-10 shucked some insides into the condenser. No noise, just some smoke from the right front of the hood, alternator light never came on and steering felt normal. I was sitting in the Hardees drive through behind one who apparently had a group order as it took forever for him to move.

Today I opened the hood, found the belt broken/burned through and everything turning freely except the AC compressor clutch. It may have been the clutch slipping that was smoking as the rubber cushions are melted and the whole thing is stuck.

Changing one of these is loads of fun, fan has to come off, then the compressor comes out from the bottom after disconnecting the lines.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry to hear your Taurus spilled its guts Bill.   p

If the weather is anything like it is here in Delco you're going to need it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - You did go to see your sister!

Bill - No fun!  But, would the shards stop in the condenser?  When I went to talk to the guy about the Subie the other day he had an F150 in there w/a brand new FS-10 on it and he showed me the orifice.  WOW!  it had metal glitter all over it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Was there a stripper in his truck at some point???  

Gary, I told you I was going, and I told you I got 8.6 mpg with 4.10's at 100 (all the way down Jersey, in the wee hours)

I bought a 2 ton engine hoist and saw a refrigerated air drier at the Horrid Fate in Sharon Hill

I knocked 20% (1/2hr) off my usual travel time.
Got there at 6:56

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, yes, and yes.  But I wasn't sure when you were going.  Nor that the HF you went to was there.

In any event, hope you can get the work done on your truck.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have to be at work in CT at 6AM Wednesday the 1st, so I'm not getting anything done on my truck.

But at the moment I AM getting stuff done at my sisters.

I needed a little break when i finished those docks.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I hope they did, because the Taurus orifice is an integral part of the liquid line (like the 2005 Dog, er Dodge) I just fought with. It was replaced when the flexible portion developed a leak.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Well, the good news is other than the clutch the F450 compressor is the same FS10 as the Taurus. Now comes the question, do I use it and maybe pick up a condenser and liquid line or order everything to replace it new?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I'd add up the costs and weigh that against how hard it is to get to them.  For something like Big Blue where the compressor is at the top and easily gotten to, and to remove the condenser only requires leaning the radiator back.  So I'd go with a used compressor.  In fact, I am!

But from what you've said about how hard it is on a Taurus, I think I'd seriously consider buying new parts.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, it's partially a matter of "how much do I want to put into a 26 year old car with a bad rod journal and 140,000 + miles on it?"
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
So, I am more than likely picking up a new vehicle this weekend. I have plenty of experience with this vehicle, and know it's history over the last ten years. I will post more about it when I have it in my possession.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
salans7 wrote
So, I am more than likely picking up a new vehicle this weekend. I have plenty of experience with this vehicle, and know it's history over the last ten years. I will post more about it when I have it in my possession.
You are a teaser!
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Why do I have a terrible suspicion I know what vehicle it is?
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think it is a "terrible" suspicion.  I think it is a "wonderful" suspicion.  And if my hunch is right, Shaun is going to be one happy camper.  

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Guess we'll all have to see. Not sure if I'm picking it up this weekend due to the holiday, I will probably wait until next weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll be anxious to see the plans - for both trucks.  Which gets priority.  What the engine plan is for the "new" one.  Etc.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Some [Gary and Matthew] have inside information!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary doesn't.  He is just speculating based on Shaun's statement of " I have plenty of experience with this vehicle, and know it's history over the last ten years."

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
The statement "I have plenty of experience with this vehicle and it's history over the last ten years" is VERY vague as I have worked on many different vehicles in the last ten years (I was 18 years old ten years ago) and many of those vehicles I have worked on for years, and therefore know their history as I'm the "mechanic" that worked on them. The vehicle could be anything, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Honda, etc; I've touched them all. Haha.  

But those who know me, know I grew up around and prefer domestics, and therefore I can assure it is not a foreign vehicle. It also is a running and driving vehicle, so no engine swaps or other drivetrain modifications are planned.

I am going to have to battle to prioritize the F350 over this new vehicle, because that's what happened to the F150; I picked up my Ranger, started putting money and time into that and before I knew it the F150 had sat for almost five years without me touching it. But my plans for this new vehicle are minor compared to my Ranger, so I don't think it will be a major issue.
1 ... 56575859606162 ... 115